Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

We back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I said come in! posted:

...no one who bought the original game gets any of the new heroes for free like what was normal before.

Just to be clear, OW1 players who claimed the Founder's Pack get Kiriko for free (own OW1 before OW2 comes out and log in anytime before OW2 Battle Pass Season 1 ends to get instant access to her). But after that, yeah, it's battle pass grind to get any new heroes post-Kiriko unless you just pay for them outright. All new heroes will technically be free, but are gated behind 54 tiers on the free battle pass track.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 3, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm gonna have fun playing by muting voice/hiding chat all the time, dunno about everyone else tho.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Father Wendigo posted:

So the Founders Pack unlocks the Healer, but what about Junker Queen and Sojourn? Will we have to grind for those?

No, they're unlocked for everyone. Kiriko is the first hero on the battle pass.

[edit]

Macaluso posted:

Wait what's this founders pack stuff, I thought you got Kiriko for free just for owning OW1

Players who owned OW1 before OW2's launch and log into the game before the first season battle pass ends claim the founder's pack automatically and get instant access to Kiriko. Anyone who creates an OW2 account at or post-launch will have to either grind out the free BP track to unlock Kiriko or pay for her outright for instant access.

[edit2] To be more specific, you have to have owned Overwatch before June 23rd of this year and login to Overwatch 2 before December (end of season one battle pass) to claim the founders pack/insta-unlock Kiriko.

[edit3] Source

teagone fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 3, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Macaluso posted:

Gotcha okay. That's extremely confusing lol

Yeaaaah, it's dumb. Lol. I had to re-look up poo poo just to make sure, lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ashcans posted:

So assuming you don't grind out a new character with a BP, what happens after it's done? Does the character move behind some other unlock system, do you just never get them, or do they just sort of unlock automatically after some time?

From here: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23824003/overwatch-2-explained-battle-pass-shop-hero-unlocks-and-more

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ashcans posted:

Thanks! Good that there will be some way, although I assume it will be tedious enough to encourage you to buy them.

Yeah, curious how rough the grind be on the free battle pass. $10 for the premium battle pass/insta-unlock the newest hero doesn't seem too bad tbh, but I'll only shell out the cash for heroes I really want. Maybe. The beauty of playing with no chat/voice muted is you don't have to hear or read any complaints about you not being able to switch to the new hero lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

headcase posted:

Well some people think that autoaim abilities, splash/spam, beams, or tree trunk size projectiles detract from the experience.

They're dummies and should go play another game then :colbert:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Barreft posted:

I heard about this New Player Experience for ppl who haven't played OW1. Can you detail that in the OP op? It seemed really bad but I've never played OW1

quote:

First time user experience

The First Time User Experience (FTUE) is an introduction to Overwatch 2 specifically designed for brand-new players who make their account post-launch.

We want FTUE to welcome players more gradually to Overwatch 2, as we’ve seen consistent feedback from new players feeling overwhelmed by numerous game modes and heroes. New players begin with access to a limited set of game modes, heroes, and some other restrictions to onboard them more gradually. The first phase of our new FTUE rapidly unlocks all the game modes and the ability to chat in-game, and the second phase unlocks all the original Overwatch heroes over the course of approximately 100 matches. This focused experience eases new players into the world of Overwatch by teaching them about different modes, rules, and other high-level aspects of the game in an approachable way.

Most FTUE restrictions are lifted while in a group, so new players can team up with their friends at any time to play almost any game modes. Competitive is the exception to this rule because new players must complete a specific challenge to access this game mode.

Requirements to enter Competitive mode are changing with Overwatch 2. We are removing player levels in-game, so instead of having to reach a certain level, new players are now challenged to win 50 Quick Play matches before Competitive unlocks. This gives new players time to prepare for the higher expectations that come with Competitive, while long-term players don’t feel discouraged by teammates who have less experience. In the process of unlocking Competitive, we analyze new player skill levels to optimize matchmaking in a way that feels good to everyone.

While this process helps new players join the fun, it’s also an effective way to discourage disruptive behavior and cheating. FTUE is an investment to complete because it takes time to unlock game features— Competitive, specifically, cannot be accessed without winning matches. Disruptive players are unable to immediately affect the larger community, with things like voice chat and match chat unlocking later in FTUE. Brand-new accounts made by cheaters or disruptive players will all have to play through this experience, giving us the chance to identify suspicious accounts before they enter other game modes.

FTUE was designed to make Overwatch 2 a welcoming, approachable, and fun game for everyone who chooses to play. This experience only affects accounts made on or after the October 4 release date: anyone who played prior, as well as Watchpoint Pack owners, will not have to play through the First Time User Experience.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23857517/defense-matrix-activated-fortifying-gameplay-integrity-and-positivity-in-overwatch-2/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Seagull made a 10min deep dive video into OW2's imminent release that gives some good perspective. His opinion is the only one I really care about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pETD7QT6TcU

As much as I share similar sentiments of disappointment expressed in Seagull's essay, and for however long I've been banging the "more OW PvE pls" drum for years only to have been given more PvP poo poo for the "sequel" lol, I'm still excited for the release. There's really no other game that can scratch the same itch that OW does for me.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 4, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

blossommirage posted:

I haven't played Overwatch 1 since GOATs ruled the world. Do I still get the founders pack thingy or did I have to log in before the servers went offline? The wording is really confusing.

You just 1) need to have owned the game before June 23, 2022 and 2) log into OW2 before the first battle pass season ends (which lasts 9 weeks) to claim the founder's pack poo poo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dugong posted:

My guess is the pve gets sold in chapters or is bundled into battlepasses. I think this could end up screwing Blizzard over as there won’t be a big release moment for it. But hey, I could be completely wrong.

I thought you watched Seagull's video? He basically shares this exact sentiment, quoting relevant sources wrt that being what's going to happen with PvE too lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

headcase posted:

...but some of the most fun things I've done in OW are unlocking the hardest PvE achievements.

:same:

I got all the cheevos for Uprising and Retribution. Beating those on the hardest difficulty (with pubbies no less!) in Story Mode was easily the most fun I've had playing Overwatch tbh. Never got around to Storm Rising though; I stopped playing consistently around that time.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah game is live it seems like. My brother got in, but I'm stuck at retrying.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah poo poo's hammered af.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Was in, won my first 2 qp matches, then got booted after the third with an unexpected server error and now I'm stuck in queue with 0 people ahead of me and it's not going any further lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phoix posted:

Kiriko has no damage falloff and headshots for 120. It's not hitscan but she can heal so this is an acceptable return to beta McCree thank you Blizzard

Healing with her felt a little weird, but yeah, her right click is real good. Her TP and ult are also kinda insane, lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

During my 2nd game W I got POTG as Sombra, but I have the hacking highlight intro and I think it freaked out because it tried replacing Kiriko lmao. It showed Sombra doing the hack first instead, and then the hacking animation replaced Sombra with Kiriko. When I save the highlight, it's just a blank screen intro now. Funny glitch.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I completed all my daily challenges in 3 matches. I didn't even know what they were lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Queued for comp, had a leaver on my team 1st match. Feels good to be back.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DrBox posted:

I'd avoid comp for now. Servers are pretty flakey.

Ehh, I don't really mind. 2nd match had a leaver as well lmao. I told myself to not worry as much about comp this time around. Especially with the new changes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lol, I've gotten disconnected from 6 of my comp matches so far.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

For the first 12 seasons in OW1 I placed high plat/low diamond as a support main (Lucio/Mercy/Zen). Played comp for the first time since season 12, exclusively queueing as tank because Junker Queen is so :black101: -- went 7-10 for the night and I got placed silver 5 lolololol. I am a trash tank, lets gooooo. 6 of those losses were disconnects I think... but that probably wouldn't have changed much lmao. JQ is so fun though. Time to climb with her I guess!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Seagull placed Diamond I. I did read they were intentionally going to make your placement rank lower than what you would expect, but drat! Kinda crazy to see still lol.

[edit] Yeah, Seagull just mentioned last time he played OW comp was like 3 seasons ago and ended at 4200 SR. He also said lots of top 500/GM players got placed low to mid masters. Makes me feel less bad about my tank queue placing at silver, lol. Gonna BP grind to plat I guess :twisted:

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 5, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I spam my pings like crazy, but yeah, I rarely saw others use it in most of my comp matches. As an aside, my brother placed Bronze 5 for his DPS queue, and he mains DPS... :rip:

Emongg placed Diamond 5 for his support queue. Curious what his tank palacement will be; he stopped before he could get the 7 wins for tank. His 16 hour stream stack with Flats and Seagull was a lot of fun. They lost a ton lol. Made the game look pretty good at high level though!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

adhuin posted:

Junkqueen seems fun too.

I honestly feel like I'm playing total mayhem in comp with her lmao. Closing in and getting big damage with a carnage cleave is a pretty satisfying adrenaline rush lol. Had tons of fun with her in the betas, doin the same now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Which JQ skin is that?

:razz:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hmm, so I logged into OW2 on my Switch where I have a bunch of gift card nintendo eshop credits. Looks like I can buy OW coins with that. If I buy the coins there, will they also show up on PC? Or will they only be usable on the Switch?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Large Testicles posted:

don't 100% trust me on this but you should be fine since it's linked to your bnet account

I'll test it out with a fiver later today I guess. But I figured just now it's not that big of a deal if they don't, since whatever cosmetics I unlock on the Switch with the coins will be on PC too. It's more just for convenience, lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Raged posted:

Is it just me or are there no "Hero Challenges"?

Guessing that's where the Kiriko challenges will show up after December for players who got the game after the first battle pass season is over or for players who never reached tier 55 to unlock her. Same goes for other heroes after their BP season expires.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Emongg placed Master 5 on his tank queue if anyone cares! Lol. So most top 500/GMs are getting placed low-to-mid masters.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

grieving for Gandalf posted:

gently caress. in a month, when I'm finally allowed to play, I'm gonna get like fuckin silver or gold

I was low Diamond in OW1 comp for the first 12 seasons, and placed Silver 5. My brother was low-to-midish Gold for a couple comp seasons and got placed Bronze 5, lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

adhuin posted:

Overwatch 1 had also relatively low max rating for 'new people'. I think It was something like high Diamond.

When comp first dropped for OW1 my final rating was 60. I don't know what that was relative to the badage rankings that came later, but I'd guess plat/diamond right? Which is where I ended up getting hardstuck because I refused to improve lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

like they hear a Sombra decloaking and firing behind them and they go "oh that's weird" and never think to turn around

I kept hacking an Ana one comp game last night while cloaked and they refused to do anything. I must've hacked her like 20 times alone, poo poo was funny.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I had no problem logging into OW2 on my Switch last night but today it refuses to go back past the logo screen even though it throws me in a queue. PC I can get in no problem though, so long as I swapped my region to Asia.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I tried to queue DPS in comp with my brother just now for a couple games but it locked me out from picking that role AND support once my brother locked DPS. I could only pick tank. Why? Lol. I wanna do my DPS placement :colbert:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

you can't queue within a certain skill rating of a group member depending on skill bracket

this was of course one of the many reasons people created "smurf" accounts in the first place and caused people to throw games on purpose

Oh, so my brother has to rank up then before I can also queue DPS with him? Because my DPS role needs 6 more wins for placement.

[edit] Or wait, I have to do my placements on DPS first?

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 6, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Emongg's 5-stack trying out to figure out who can queue what role is hilarious.

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrispyMildSnakeVoteNay-x_-O9lq-3BO6e0Zq

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

For anyone else curious, I bought $5 worth of coins on Switch and they don't show up on PC, so coins bought with real monies on whatever platform aren't available on others. Coins earned in-game through challenges are though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Notched 7 more wins as JQ, went up from Silver 5 to Silver 2 lets goooooo. The climb is real, lmao.