Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lister posted:

The official youtube channel put out a video with the most broadly generic, inspirational narration I've ever heard. It honestly sounds like a parody. I have no idea what the gently caress anything in this video is referring to and how it's supposed to relate to this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHiRgT9skFU

what the actual gently caress is that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

DrBox posted:

What are you looking for here? Thick accented voice lines? They literally made every ability tie-in to her ~Japanese heritage~.

lol 3 japanese characters in a row that are ninja gangsters

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Endorph posted:

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/overwatch-2-gender-verification-system

lol at the GENDER VERIFICATION SYSTEM for a trans overwatch 2 tournament, thanks blizzard. foot, mouth.

that is indeed an official blizzard site they're talking about in case anyone is wondering, (it's really obvious if you scroll down to the site footer at https://callingallheroes.gg/en-us/news/introducing-calling-all-heroes )

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 6, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
My experience with OW2

Day 1: logged on late at night, queue was pretty bad, but not horrible, left it on while I played some path of exile. Played two games of quickplay which felt decent-good, but were over quickly. Clicked ranked out of curiosity and made it 2/3 through a game before getting booted back to 30,000 on the queue screen, gave up for the night.

Day 2: agreed to play a couple games with a friend who likes OW a lot and it took a while to figure out why the game was returning a 'user can't be added to group as they're on the wrong version of the game' bug when we would try to group up. Left game and sat through queue again before googling the solution. Played 1.5 games before getting booted out back into 15+ minute queue. gave up for the night.

Day 3: was going to play with some friends who were playing and wanted +1, plans cancelled due to primetime maintenance.

My impression of the gameplay as it currently stands is actually not bad from what little of it I've played: it seems largely like there's a more coherent vision for what they think the game should be and I think tanks and supports being stronger was a really good change. imo the games I played of ow2 felt much better than the beta version did. This is probably the most positive thing I've said about OW in probably 4+ years, btw. Overall though, my experience has been that the server issues are so loving bad that the game is all but unplayable unless you're really dedicated to sitting in queues. Idk what's going on over there, but I can't believe it launched like this.

Also they would have a far better game if they deleted widowmaker straight up.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 8, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Splinter posted:

Shroud just placed Silver 1 on DPS after absolutely murdering people on Widow if that makes you guys feel any better

didn't he end up plat last time he played ow? he was never good at ow, like at all

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
most peoples' comms are 95% useless if not actively detrimental either because they're distracting, talking over sound cues, giving bad information, or potentially are tilting team mates

comms are also vital at a certain level so that's not to say people shouldn't practice them, but good comms take a long time to develop as a skill

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
better to die with your team than be alive while your team dies, this is true in like 98% of circumstances

it's actually good to die with your team, in fact. every second you're alive after most of your team is dead is seconds you are stealing from your team.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Splinter posted:

IIRC maybe he hit Diamond but I don't think he ever really try harded OW. His game sense is definitely lacking a bit but he's still way above a silver player just on mechanics alone. Hard carrying on Widow with like 50 elims is something OW1's algo noticed and would place you higher than a typical fresh account (which IIRC usually used to be around high silver or gold). Will be interesting to see how much he jumps after his first promotion but I think he stopped playing today before he reached that point. Point is just if you weren't a regular high ranked player in OW1 you shouldn't feel bad about placing in silver or bronze.

he's smart enough that he'll obviously go farther if he wants, but game knowledge is basically everything in ow

you get people with aimbots who struggle to climb lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

DrBox posted:

It's been mostly playable all week. Multiple wow expansions and the Diablo 3 launch were worse.

i tried to play 3 times in the first week and each one was a huge shitshow. third one got cut off by primetime maintenance, too, lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

DrBox posted:

Yeah there were issues the first day and a half and two nights this week during ~prime time~ (for NA) where there was server maintenance. But still for most of the time it's been good. I managed to play a few hours a day all week without issue, but obviously it depends on when you try to play.

I tried to play between ~6 and 11pm

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

are they actually trying to kill the game or have they divined that they generate ++engagement with peak hour downtimes

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

dogstile posted:

I picked this up again and I expected to have a ton of hot takes, but really this just feels like overwatch designed by people who kinda sucked at overwatch.

Don't get me wrong ranked deathwatch is fun but with the lack of negation abilities everyone's just getting loving dunked on constantly. It's really funny.

E: also I guess they did an mmr reset? I was 4300 on every role and it dunked me in plat 4. This is gonna suck for a lot of people if I keep playing and decide to climb :v:

I knew i'd been calling you a boosted plat for years for a reason

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
3-4 hours a day doing all of the challenges is casual play?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

DrBox posted:

20 hours in a week is less than 3 hours a day. I think that's pretty casual. It was an hour or two after work every day with a longer session with friends this weekend.

This is compared to the guy I was quoting who said Jay3 plays 10 hours a day and is only level 30 in the BP (unlikely).

Casual is relative I guess but we're all in a video game forum talking about videogames so maybe there is no casual here.

casual is relative but you're describing a part time job as casual

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is not blizzards worst launch by a country mile but it is particularly egregious because of how little they even changed. You'd think they had screamed "new year new me" and thrown thermite on the servers for there to be so many issues on what is essentially a rebalance patch on a game that had been running stable for years.

that is an interesting point: OW1 was one of the stablest and most polished games I think I've ever played. I had a ton of issues with the way the game was ultimately designed that I felt were contradictory to what the game was trying to be, but OW1 was incredibly stable just worked when you wanted it to.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Bleck posted:

It's fun and cool when your tank does this every single time and then you get annihilated separate from the team because you stayed back near the objective and then the tank dies while you're dead because they have no healing and when you lose the game is like "if you were a better healer you could have carried this game" and then you get demoted even further down into Dirt 5.

if 4 people in your team are spawncamping the enemy, you should be there with them because as long as you're spawncamping them, they're not going to contest the objective

tbh in like 99% of cases anytime your team is positioning stupidly the play is to position stupidly with them. otherwise you do no good in the fight and then you get staggered when they kill you 20 seconds after the rest of your team dies.

headcase posted:

I had 2 matches tonight in which all teams insisted on playing out past the choke on hollywood point A and got rolled. Is there some logic to that? Seems like some weird low tier thinking.

depending on what tier you're playing at, yeah a lot of people don't even know where defenses normally set up

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Scholtz posted:

lol no you moron there's literally a hero named Mer...

Wait, what the gently caress??

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

can we talk about how loving bad the names soldier and sojourn are to have to distinguish in voice chat?

I'm reasonably sure sojourn was meant to be a soldier rework that just got spun off into being a new character

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
that or the design prompt was 'how to make soldier, but good and relevant to the current game'

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

If you are consistently muting voice chat and hiding text chat you'll just end up in whatever rank that play style puts you in, because that's how you've won or lost all your games. It's not throwing unless you just get pissy and do it some of the time.

I hit diamond in every role hiding basically all comms and just alt-f4ing out of pretty much every game where people started yelling slurs or having adult tantrums at the times when I didn't have chat muted. Comms are extremely impactful at a certain point, but that point is probably up around GM. I've said it previously but a ton of people have cumulatively negative impacts because they suck at comms and either make bad callouts, talk over sound cues, or actively tilt their team mates. Good shotcalling is hugely impactful at low ranks, but if people were really good shotcallers they pretty much by definition are not in lower ranks.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I just apply the same standard that I do to pickup basketball or any other sport or game: if someone is such a dipshit that I'd walk away from a game of basketball with them, then I do the same in game. life's too short to listen to some 35 year old loser throw a tantrum

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
cant teach a dps new tricks

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Higher ranks in every game have a longer queue than other modes. OW was particularly bad though nowhere near the old LoL with 45 minute queues.

off hours high gm was absolutely getting into 30+ minute queues. I stopped ever watching ow on twitch because even when it wasn't that bad, it was still often 15-20 minutes of downtime per game

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Bleck posted:

"nobody liked Cassidy's stun grenade so instead we gave him a homing grenade that instantly kills you" this game is so loving stupid

i think the leaks from 9 months ago that blizzard had no clue how to balance ow pvp have definitely been borne out

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
if someone is good at ow they will be aggressively resetting as soon as a fight is lost which is going to lead to more deaths and way less damage than someone bad who insists on dragging fights out until the other team kills them each time or the other team stops chasing. Latter dude will have significantly more damage but will also cause his team to lose a ton of games due to starting every single fight with a 20+ second stagger

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Damage generates as much ult charge as healing.

support ults are much more impactful tho

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

One of the big questions going into OW2 was 'can blizzard figure out at all how to balance their game'

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

he's absolutely right it requires immense self discipline not to put yourself in a terrible position by doing...nothing

which is why regrouping is such an arduous task for most players

what do you call 5 golds who use team work

diamonds

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

"So long as everyone plays the same set of exactly 5 heroes, yes"

it's funny cuz it's what no one wants, but also when ow has historically had zero meta diversity you do get an interesting and kind of more conventional sports situation that comes down to individual skill differences in the mirror matchups. On the other hand, then you have another goats situation

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 1, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

If only we all had the homing knives that head track like your Kiri :allears:

Your post I quoted literally equated her dinks and Zen spamming but continue to condescending to everyone.

what the absolute gently caress are you on about, go away you're drunk and aggro or something

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Aexo posted:

I always felt like I wanted my sens to be lower but it was already difficult to do a 180 at the speed I was at.

Then I watched Surefour's video on mouse accel and it's so much better now. It's slow enough for close range tracking but still fast enough to turn around when I need to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn5yU5rCxuk

I've been using this for a couple of years and it is good. Definitely not necessary and 100% a matter of personal preference, but it pretty much works as advertised: you have the ability to make larger turns while also retaining precision for small movements.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Quotey posted:

I have placed an Orb of Discord on this poster.

praying for doomfist to come flying out of nowhere and combo him out of the thread forever

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

coronary quips posted:

nothing like having two teams full of mentally ill smartphone-era internet users call me a "white man," "gay," "redditor," "grandpa," and all sorts of other gibberish simply because i explained to them that people used to use the english language to communicate on the internet instead of mindlessly regurgitating memetic neologistic rhetoric. stomp on the enemy team several games in a row as pharah, then i end up with these toddlers and somehow i DIED 15 TIMES!!!! LOL 15 DEATH PHARAH!!!!! (ignore the fact they were never healing me and it's their fault, clearly it's my fault because that explanation releases a surge of dopamine into their brain as they type iamverysmart into the chat for the 497th time this week). LOL THE REDDITING PHARAH!!!!!!! nah, these are just things they said, because these are the brilliant internet geniuses of 2022, and what do i know, i'm just "grandpa" because i acknowledge the superiority of utilizing an extant, well-established lexicon to articulate and convey semantic structures.

maybe letting every retard on earth have unfettered access to a global communications network wasn't a good idea.

p.s. these are the same people who report me and have me banned by an automated system that never has a human being review the fact that i'm being abused by actual children.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this post was typed while standing idle in spawn

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Yes, and? If I'm pinging for people to fall back, I should expect to hear "fall back". People are way more likely to respond to what they hear rather than what they see wrt pings. I want consistency in what I'm pinging for, this shouldn't be difficult to understand.

In other news:

https://youtu.be/YPkvfoims04

Glad I'm not the only one dealing with semi-consistent one-sided stompfests.

lol @ how often he'll be next to his tank but when his tank pushes in he just doesn't follow and then you see his tank hitting 'need heals' at low health for like 30 minutes while he moira tickles a widow. oh wow it goes on like this

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 13, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
They used to have moderately strict matchmaking (despite what people complained about) and extremely long queue times. Then on launch of OW2 they suddenly had extremely quick queue times... and no way to tell how strict the matchmaking was. The quantity of players at launch likely made things quicker while also allowing them to have tighter matchmaking. Now that average users is down a bunch to still get quick matches you have to have really loose matchmaking rules and depending on just how quick you want the matches to form, you might need almost no rules after, say, a couple of minutes of queue time. I'd speculate that this is 95% of the reason people are experiencing wide swings of player skill.

Other 5% is probably some combination of supposed changes to smurfing and/or more or less boosting going on.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
if you think you're significantly better than the people you're regularly getting matched with I have bad news. If you're significantly better than the people in your lobbies you will climb rapidly

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

this is at least the second ratings bug where players are rated lower than they should be confirmed by blizz

it's possible there are other ratings bugs if there's been this much nonsense

also a 3rd:
"Addressed multiple leaderboard issues causing inaccurate placement and ordering"

how the gently caress does a bug like that even happen

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
what if they added a second tank who could bounce back and forth between protecting the first tank and, if needed, the supports? It would also give something else for the DPS to play around and could help contest the point

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i generally never recommend people talk on comms more if they want to win more (unless you're 1000% sure that what you're saying is correct info and has 0% chance of tilting team mates) but if you're playing support you can say 'rein you can go wild, I'm right behind you' and it's got as much of a chance of working as anything

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

dogstile posted:

This is just the wildest opinion to me. I don't think i've seen any tank aside from junker queen get told they're throwing as much as a hog is after his 20th hook in a row gets blocked by bubble/shield

there exists an elo where people can't outdamage hog's heal lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

novaSphere posted:

Yeah that sucked and obviously it's not all perfect - but nothing is. I had assumed Pharah's ult charge bug or Tracer's falloff (for example) were already known but apparently not, which surprised me.

Also re: armor bug, I have no idea how complicated OW's systems are but if I know anything about dev (which is not a lot, admittedly), sometimes bugs that seem really simple are really fuckin hard to root out even if the issue is known or there's a testcase for it. I worked on a game that has an exploit involving a fundamental building block of the entire inventory system, which to fully resolve would essentially require a rewrite of the whole thing, which is...not very feasible.

In any case the product we currently have as Overwatch 2 was slapped together incredibly quickly so there's a lot of weird janky poo poo I'm hoping they address. I do like that blizz seems to be making more of an effort to talk about these sorts of issues openly at least. The bar is underground though after the near-total comms blackout before OW2 PvP had to get ramped up.

The bigger issue is that almost zero feedback is apparently making it through to the OW team, even the feedback they were deliberately soliciting and bringing pros in specifically to give. This was one of the defining issues with OW1 and people are extremely sensitive to seeing it repeat in OW2 for what should be obvious reasons.

It's a particularly glaring issue with how one dimensional the high level meta is right now, which notably killed interest in the game once before. Mostly it's just perplexing that they still are fighting their own balance more than any other single issue with the game, especially after they promised repeatedly during the leadup to OW2s launch that they'd be more responsive with balance.

E:

balance being absolutely horrible for months and months and months at a time in OW1 did so much damage to the game

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
they can't as that's basically upcoming hero, 'jetpack cat'