Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Congratulations OP, quite an accomplishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

It would've been easy to make a low effort post in every forum and call it good, but I liked your commitment to trying to match each forum's culture. It really showed that this project meant something to you

He accidentally nailed qcs perfectly

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Fantastic effort op, really enjoyed following along. I hope you're forever remembered as a hero

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Honestly it's a perfect coda to the adventure

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Scornful Sexbot posted:

I will make you an actionable post.
Eh, why not? Me too

Scornful Sexbot posted:

piss out my rear end
Piss in this rear end.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

op put together an impressive thread, but do not be taken in. the forums are flat, there is no way to travel around them and end up back at GBS.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Astral please add infinite scrolling so we can finally prove these flat forum conspiracy theories wrong

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Spoggerific posted:

Astral please add infinite scrolling so we can finally prove these flat forum conspiracy theories wrong

I will also die on the hill of not adding infinite scrolling.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

astral posted:

My mental health thanks you.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I have seen it done well exactly once across every website I have ever had the misfortune of visiting.

The worst part of infinite scrolling is when you're a ways down the infinite abyss, then (usually accidentally) click a link, hit the back button to go back and...oh, the lovely webapp forgot where you were, so now you have to scroll alll the way back down again.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Infinite scrolling means no more page snipes. It's not that I like snipes, it's just that they're part of what we are, a sort of forum lizard brain. Trying to evolve past them would leave us disconnected from our real selves.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

astral posted:

I have seen it done well exactly once across every website I have ever had the misfortune of visiting.

The worst part of infinite scrolling is when you're a ways down the infinite abyss, then (usually accidentally) click a link, hit the back button to go back and...oh, the lovely webapp forgot where you were, so now you have to scroll alll the way back down again.

Are you sure? Because some sites put important links only in the footer and you can literally never reach them with infinite scrolling.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

H110Hawk posted:

Are you sure? Because some sites put important links only in the footer and you can literally never reach them with infinite scrolling.

New unsubscribe model found

astral
Apr 26, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

You hit the 'end' button on your keyboard and hope for the best. There is no hope with the infinite scroll->link click.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
great job op
but make sure to finish it off by making a new fyad thread that doesn't get gassed/beecocked/hell circused since your first attempt isn't there anymore
(i do not know how to do this)

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
New thread is up! :fedora: What's the last subforum you think you'll post in?

Finally, I've gone full circle. :toot:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

Congratulations on your journey!I am not sure what you've won but it's probably cool.

I won a bunch of posting friends (and enemies for some reason?) and a free avatar!
And it only cost me the price of running a Minecraft server for two months that no one ever once used, lol. And I guess the price of a bunch of bacon I ruined.

SalTheBard posted:

It would've been easy to make a low effort post in every forum and call it good, but I liked your commitment to trying to match each forum's culture. It really showed that this project meant something to you

Thanks! Yes, I was thinking about this for a while leading up to it. I didn't think it would be at all interesting if I didn't put effort into it.
Reading every single post in every single thread definitely took up a lot of my time, haha.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Lol, once again other goons saved my thread I guess.
It's been locked now, RIP.

eating only apples posted:

Fantastic effort op, really enjoyed following along. I hope you're forever remembered as a hero

God, I hope not. I liked it a lot better when no one recognized me, haha.

This goon is the real hero:

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Wayne Gretzky posted his balls in all the forums or some of them

Dick Bastardly posted:

repor this post OP :flip:

Scornful Sexbot posted:

I will make you an actionable post.

B33rChiller posted:

Eh, why not? Me too

Piss in this rear end.

Mods, do something about these villains! I say!

astral posted:

I have only 10 posts per page! :twisted:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

There are in fact three more forums you can post in, although you have little control over which.

Report someone's post. Your report creates a new thread in the mods-only Reports forum. A mod will eventually determine the report's disposition, after which it will be moved to one of Bullshit, Misc, or Resolved, each a subforum of the Reports forum. You'll forever have a thread in that subforum.

Additionally, I would like to make you a special offer. Please make a new thread in Trad Games, The Game Room, or Poker Is Totally Rigged, and then PM me. I will move that thread to Test/Moved, a hidden Mod subforum, where it will reside forever, locked away. (Any other mod could do this too, but I haven't asked anyone else, so if you want me to do it it's gotta be in a forum I moderate).

I believe you still have 10 more days in which to complete your journey. Let's get that done.

sebmojo posted:

Yes I will take care of the reports, make three of them: one justified and actionable, one accurate but who cares, and one nonsensical and annoying

Okay, I'll do those four tomorrow then. Thanks! Now I need to think about what I want posted there...

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

great job op
but make sure to finish it off by making a new fyad thread that doesn't get gassed/beecocked/hell circused since your first attempt isn't there anymore
(i do not know how to do this)

I was thinking of doing some "redemption" threads in places where I felt like I could have done better since there's still a couple days left.
But I'll probably leave FYAD alone for now. I just don't know how to channel their brand of humor and I don't want to pollute up their subforum with my bad attempts at threads.
I was pretty sure I was never going to have a 100% successful run (after all: who even looks at the front page subforum?), so the goal was always just to do as well as I could.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe this. I can't believe you'd willingly post in cspam

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Infinite scrolling means no more page snipes. It's not that I like snipes, it's just that they're part of what we are, a sort of forum lizard brain. Trying to evolve past them would leave us disconnected from our real selves.

Autodelete the content of every page snipe so nobody feels the pressure of page pole position

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Conga-rats Shadow0! :toot:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I added all the thread tags to the OP for all to marvel at.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Congrats OP :toot:!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Shadow0 posted:

Mods, do something about these villains! I say!

lure them to your Factorio thread and do something yourself.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
📝 Travel update:

As I prepared to enter QCS, I was shocked by a sudden announcement. The site owner had made the very thread I intended to make on the very day I intended to make my own!
Still, I felt confident my thread would be different enough and welcome enough, so I pressed on.
I wanted to make something of a positive thread highlighting the good things I saw in my travels.
I didn't expect much of a response. However, the thread turned out to be far more lively, and perhaps even dramatic, than I anticipated, though this may have been due to the timing of the site owner's thread.
I saw many old and new faces I had encountered throughout the forums. It felt somewhat like act three of a four-act story. There was no keeping the thread on topic, but it was fun. Though eventually the thread was locked.
It was quite chaotic, but that seems to be the typical experience of that subforum.
QCS is a surprisingly popular subforum. I think it's great that so many goons take an interest in making sure the SA forums are the best they can be.

I then reached the final subforum I could post in, TECH.
It was considerably quieter and more peaceful.
Like with the previous subforum, I think it's great to see so many goons taking the time to post their suggestions for how to improve the forums and the forum maintainers taking the time to respond to those.

I took a moment to appreciate Archives, somewhere I would not be able to post directly, before moving on to finally completing my journey.
I reached the ice cap of the forums and realized the forums were indeed flat as I had been warned!
Fortunately, I could just scroll up.

I reached GBS again and made one last thread to complete the full journey around the forums in only 71 days.
The response has been pretty nice, and it feels good to be "home".

I have been informed of, and even invited to, various secret subforums. Tomorrow, I shall make some quick threads for these final places.
I also have some loose ends in various threads, including editing a video, a potential meet-up, and running a game with some chaps.
And I may also make a few more bonus threads with the time I have left in these 80 days, especially in those places where I did not get to fully experience the subforum.

But now, I feel I can call the journey complete. 🎈

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
congrats OP i'm genuinely impressed. i would have run out of steam after like 3 days because i can't commit to anything lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A friend of mine brought up an excellent question for you, OP:
Where is the International Forum Date Line?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

GMT

GBS mean time

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Congrats on reaching the goal you set out for! A rare accomplishment for goonkind.

astral posted:

My hero

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Op rules

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I barely posted but I read most of the threads and this has been fun.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Literally A Person posted:

GMT

GBS mean time

Yeah, I used GMT since it made sense, was only an hour away, and the original story started in England anyway.

Wikipedia posted:

On the evening of 2 October 1872, ... Fogg departs from London by train at 8:45 p.m.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Around_the_World_in_Eighty_Days

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006

Shadow0 posted:

Yeah, I used GMT since it made sense, was only an hour away, and the original story started in England anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Around_the_World_in_Eighty_Days
I was impressed that you completed your mission of posting in every forum. But I completely missed that you started your journey on the same date and time as the story. Wow!

Congratulations on this journey, I really enjoyed following along, especially with the twists and turns of you getting probated more than a few times, but also made into an IK.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
New thread is up (for now)! I have incriminating evidence the mods don't want you to see!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is a really bad post! Someone should report it! Maybe even multiple times for different reasons!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's a timeout on reporting the same post apparently.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
butts

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shhh. Hush now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989425

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's between the GBS at forumid=273 and the GBS at forumid=1.