Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Deckard Cain is definitely the only character I remember from D2.

The thing with D2 I feel is that while the plot is essentially non-existent, the game does do some good atmosphere. It’s a very lonely place, where it’s just you and the taciturn mercenary you hired vs the hordes. And then during the moment of rest where you go back to civilization (or what passes for it), you come back to talk to Cain first so that he identifies your poo poo for you. Always talk to him first, his sound bite is memorable and goofy enough that it alleviates the repetition of it. Get attached to the bugger because he’s always there to help you and he’s a constant presence. I think the fact that his services are free helps to endear him, if he charged for what he does I don’t think he’d be as popular.

And then D3 squanders him by killing him in an inconsequential scene to try to build pathos. Great job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I only played D2. For most people playing largely blind, I find the idea that you wouldn’t rescue him to be a bit weird since I remember the quest being fairly signposted.

It’s a good point otherwise I forgot about that.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

DarkMatt posted:

This I think is the reason behind Diablo 2's charm: I have varying degrees of opinions on the places we'll go in this game, but they all look and sound very good at feeling empty and hostile. Though, I feel like this approach to atmosphere does get relied on a bit too hard, because we'll go to a real center of civilization and imo it'll still feel barren. ...Then there's Diablo 3 where New Tristram has many more corpses than they do townsfolk and the number is only increasing. It's not establishing the urgency of the plague in New Tristram. It's honestly just comical.

Now that you mention it, I think that was my problem with D3 in general. It basically had a lot of decisions applied to it without much thought of the player experience or how it affects the plot. There's your point about the corpses in New Tristram. What comes to my mind is Cain's death scene. It basically has no weight at all despite Cain being a liked character, because it's drawn out way too long and the player character is just standing there picking their nose the entire time. So I, at least, ended up not giving any shits. I know that Diablo-esque games will always have that issue since the player character is too varied to have them participate in cutscenes. But.... just don't have those cutscenes then. Like the parts with the niece following you around because she needs your help to get to a dangerous location, and her giving some exposition while running around worked perfectly well. It's a good reason for your character to be participating in the plot, and it doesn't gently caress up the flow of the gameplay.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

oh so you ARE interested in how my fanfiction played out

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought along those lines.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Diablo 2 is a massive ball of individually moving parts, that are difficult to discern which one breaks and didn't. Even if you know the problem, sometimes fixing it could break something else, as well.