Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I've only ever got all the way through Hell difficulty with the Necromancer. I am interested to see what the mods you're using do--I heard a lot about them back in the day, but never used any myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I'm not that fond of Act 3 in general either, but I do have to admit I kind of like the Fetish Shamans. They keep you on your toes, especially if you're a melee character. Just gotta get a feel for the cooldown time they have after their attack. God knows the game designers had to put in something to keep you paying attention as you slog your way through.

Also, I don't think you mentioned, but unlike in every other act there's no defined transition between areas of the jungle--those narrow tunnel-ish areas like Flavie is guarding in Act 1. Instead, the zone borders are arbitrary: you just walk forward and at some point you get the message saying you have entered whatever. Sometimes you can end up skipping areas because the third zone has an end forming a loop back around to the first one, etc.

At least the act gets better once the jungle ends.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Ashsaber posted:

I remember playing D2 when I was young and not understanding poo poo about builds. As in In putting at least one point in every single skill because what if I need that one some time? Also rarely ever used poitions, but somehow still survived pretty well. Despite that I managed to make it surprisingly far, getting a level (iirc) 44 paladin to act 3 nightmare after stumbling into Fanactism+Zeal as a combo with a very fast weapon and lifesteal, making me nearly invincible in combat despite not updating my gear for several acts.

Then I hit a dungeon with fetish shamans and was completelyunable to continue.

I also couldn't play it anymore past that point when I did start learning how to specialize builds because my future computers couldn't run it for some reason. Still have the original CDs with keys to use, but can't put them to use. Sad times.

If you can get the game to install at all, you can download a patch to 1.14d which runs under Windows 10. I just re-installed from my 1.03/1.07 (LoD) CDs on account of this thread.

It's also my first time running any mods, even if they're only D2DX and PlugY.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Diablo's health won't reset while you travel between acts to raise more skeletons. Just use the waypoints to travel back to Act I and kill the easy trash monsters there; repeat as necessary until he's dead.

In my experience, Diablo is definitely at his hardest on Normal difficulty, at least for summonmancers. In Nightmare and Hell, by the time you get to him your army should be strong enough to tank everything he has to throw at it.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Xarn posted:

Interesting, I expected my summons to eventually get outscaled. So you are telling me that if I fix the act 5 stutters, the game is gonna keep getting easier? Because apart from act bosses the game already plays itself.

Pretty much. Summon Necromancer is the only character I've played through Hell with for that reason.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I played through them recently myself as a Paladin using Vengeance with Fanaticism aura without too much trouble, though they did keep me on my toes (playing vanilla with PlugY). I'm not sure it would go so well on higher difficulties, though.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

You get as quest rewards runes for the Ancient's Pledge Runeword which give a hefty boost to all resistances and a permanent 10 percent boost to all resistances. I'm pretty sure the programmers put these in explicitly to deal with the Nightmare penalty; IIRC between the two rewards they add up to more than 50% for everything. It's just a matter of finding a suitable shield, which as mentioned can be difficult depending on your class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

That looks like Duriel, though?

Also lol. Five (sc)rolls of TP. I think that's the worst boss drop I've ever seen.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 23, 2022