Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

DarkMatt posted:

Time for a new update, where we decide that loot is more important than saving the world for a brief moment.

This intro to the update is comically appropriate to something I want to add to your commentary here.

quote:

Wraith | CR: ****
==Physical and magic resistant
==Can drain mana
==Phases through walls

These things are awful to deal with. They are physically resistant, so those relying on physical will have difficulties facing them. This will only get worse the further we find them in the game, so those who keep solving problems by thwacking them with sticks will eventually find Wraiths to be very awful stonewalls.

The other nasty thing about them is their hits have a chance to drain mana. Right now it's not a huge problem as they'll only drain a little bit, but as before, the further they are in the game, the more able they are to just blink your mana reserves out of existence. It doesn't help that they're also magic resistant so certain skills also struggle against them, but thankfully they're not as magically resistant as they are physically resistant, and when I say magic resistant, I don't mean elemental damage types, so all those work just fine. Regardless, It's the combination of their very good defenses and their ability to damage your mana that makes them a persistent problem throughout the entire game. Few people like them as a result.

There's one other reason I hate this enemy type above all others. Their death sound is incredibly similar (to my ears, at least) to the sound made by a dropped ring. So every time I kill one, I think I got a nice bit of above-average loot, only to be bitterly disappointed most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

DarkMatt posted:

I admit that this is a disservice and I will definitely see about fixing this in the future once I'm able to include pieces from said manual. I was unfortunately one of those people, way back then, who only understood Diablo through gameplay and whatever it said in-game. There's definitely a lot more setting outside the game and, uhh, I've already consulted plenty of it to describe the set pieces ingame so far. But to not fold completely, it does require you to, not play the game, to be able to really appreciate Sanctuary. I tend to wish this setting was better described where it matters most: ingame, because it's pretty easy to stop caring after one too many letdowns and just play a video game and not think twice about what you're doing or who's even there.

If anything my love for the concept behind Sanctuary is a curse at times because of this.

All of the dialogue is voiced, which really cuts down on the lines of text they can reasonably put into the game. Besides that, this was an era where the manual was really expected to hype you up while you were installing the game (which took a lot longer back in the day than it does now!) or otherwise had to wait to play it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I think you may have to register the codes on Blizzard's website, then they give you a new code that works in the downloadable installers.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I actually like that the living incarnations of evil in this game act like living incarnations of evil. Fleshing out the story to have something besides CoRrUpTiOn driving the mortal servants of Hell would be good (the entire point of the Sin War in the Diablo I manual was that both the Angels and Demons are basically locked-in archetypes and humans actually have free will - since Heaven and Hell are in a stalemate, drawing the majority of humanity to one side or the other would be enough to give a chance for ultimate victory), but I don't think the big demon bosses need more personality than Satan, Diet Satan, and Satan Cherry.