Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Duriel was the bane of like 12 year old me... I had no idea how the mechanics worked, and I got owned by the "monsters attack during loading" thing as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Yeah, I like Diablo 1 and 2 (never played 3), but I was never interested in the grind for the lategame equipment, so I never played too much.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
The correct question is, how come it was kept that long? Did Blizzard just hate melee characters?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
I played my Necromancer to Act 5, and now I have terrible unplayable stutters when outside the town.

Also how the hell is Necromancer supposed to take out bosses without employing ABSURD amount of iron maiden + golem cheese? Both Duriel and Diablo clowned on my skele army (interestingly, Mephisto got murdered like a chump by my exceedingly well geared merc, while the skellies tanked his spells), and I had to kill them by chugging mana pots and cheesing them with iron maiden.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
I am at 1.14d with few pretty vanilla mods (larger stash, reset talents, similar QoL stuff). I am not aware of any iron maiden + golem bugs :v:, I just have the patience to recast golem until the boss eventually iron maidens itself to death. Diablo made this super annoying due to the lightning hose instantly murdering the golem, and the AI really liking the hose over attacking.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Interesting, I expected my summons to eventually get outscaled. So you are telling me that if I fix the act 5 stutters, the game is gonna keep getting easier? Because apart from act bosses the game already plays itself.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
I noticed that you don't seem to use skele mages at all. Are they that trash? I kinda like them for the slow, but I have only 1 point in them (+ few from gear) and they definitely aren't keeping up with the skellies (who have the advantage of amplify damage being level 1 curse, lmao).

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Oh well, I don't like mages too much anyway. They keep standing in the doorways, plinking at mobs uselessly, while my skele army + godlike desert guard (seriously, the dude is probably stronger than the rest of my guys together) are stuck behind them.

Explopyro posted:

We should also talk about Tomb Vipers. These are one of the most infamous enemies in the game, though I'm not actually sure if they can spawn on Normal. They appear only in the Halls of Vaught (the level where Nihlathak is), and they have a buggy poison cloud attack that deals their physical attack damage every frame. (Whenever it checks collision. So if you or any minion move within the poison clouds, you will die very fast, but if you stand still you might be fine.) Nobody really cared until a patch added a special drop to Nihlathak that made him worth running, and all of a sudden it was a huge problem. The best way to mitigate it was stacking integer physical damage reduction (PDR), but not every character could or wanted to do this.

How the hell did diablo get so many patches and keep so much bugged out poo poo in?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
The ancients on normal did not pose meaningful challenge to my skele army... I got drops that give me +3 to all necro skills, so I have 9 skeleton poo poo kickers and very damaging mercenary.

I also figured out that clay golem is really good actually :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
How do I shore up my resistances for nightmare? I am at -20 cold, and frozen nova from superuniques almost kills me.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Right, obviously the answer is resistance gear, but getting a socketed shrunken head with useful modifiers is basically impossible :v: Thanks to talking about it, I realized I can huge shield with diamonds and switch to it to handle bosses.

And yeah, I have few charms that give like 1% to specific resistances. Not really useful.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Meaty Ore posted:

You get as quest rewards runes for the Ancient's Pledge Runeword which give a hefty boost to all resistances and a permanent 10 percent boost to all resistances. I'm pretty sure the programmers put these in explicitly to deal with the Nightmare penalty; IIRC between the two rewards they add up to more than 50% for everything. It's just a matter of finding a suitable shield, which as mentioned can be difficult depending on your class.

I actually forgot about that. Guess I am putting that into shield next time I play :v:

I also looked at the wiki for the shield rune words. Spirit looks really good and I could build it from my runes, but apparently getting 4 socket shield is impossible at start of nightmare (if you are not paladin).

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
PD2 sounds like it was made by someone madly in love with necro. The one weakness to having a summon army just gone. Golems pumped up. Built-in teleport.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
:hmmyes:

To be fair, amplify being level 1 1-point wonder is bonkers.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Turns out that on nightmare baal is pretty easy. But I think the drops are more insulting than if he dropped nothing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Do tomes even drop?

Meaty Ore posted:

That looks like Duriel, though?

Also lol. Five (sc)rolls of TP. I think that's the worst boss drop I've ever seen.

It is Duriel, I just got my wires crossed with the last update chat about Baal :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

quote:

You see, several numbers in this game are not designed with getting really really large in mind. This is programming talk, but the gist of it is, depending on how you define a number to be used by a program, it will have a variable limit to how large or small of a number that can be held. The cap is 83885.

2 byte numbers have 65536 possible values, so if there is no accounting for negative damage, the damage cap is 65535. This would also be why overflow isn't an issue: it wraps up to 0 and goes again.

As to saturating ops, they are valuable for some specialized use cases and thus are supported on some platforms.

quote:

There's some other fun caps as well, like Life for some reason you can have over 8 million of. The life display will glitch if you hit 32,767, but rest assured, you have more than that life. Same with mana.

You can probably have up to 2 bil of life (32 bit binary numbers have 4294967296 possible values, for signed numbers this splits into [-2147483648, 2147483647]). The fact that the devs picked 4 bytes for the ground truth, but then decided to only use 2 bytes for the display is pretty amazing. Unless they decided to use fixed point 2-2 numbers, but there is no reason to do that here :facepalm:.