Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DarkMatt posted:

Thing is, this is what makes the "mistrust -> hero worship" trope annoying: it just takes one or two nudges for that to instantly melt. I'm not to judge that as realistic or not, but it gets repeated in this game to the point where it undermines the weight of your actions. I guess that's the point: Diablo 2 is just about the power fantasy and not your impact on their world, but I'll still hold it to scrutiny, especially when it hasn't aged well at all.

I get why this is annoying from a gameplay perspective, but as part of the worldbuilding it makes complete sense. This is a medieval fantasy society. 90% of people never go more than a few miles from home in their entire lives. You help out one village and prove yourself to them, at which point they do pretty much worship you because nobody's ever cared about them before and they've likely never met anyone as skilled, but the people down the road will probably never hear about it, because it's not like there's an equivalent of a newspaper or the internet.

The whole Chosen One trope usually more or less relies on this sort of thing. You're not necessarily any more heroic than the next peasant, but you're able to travel and learn things and develop into it while most people are just trying to grow enough food to pay their taxes and hoping their kids don't die of plague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU