Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
After re-reading the intro for the Countess quest along with seeing the actual quest itself unfold, it strikes me that the Diablo II writers put their spin on the folk tales attributed to Elizabeth Bathory (bathes in the blood of virgins to maintain her youth, accused of killing/torturing hundreds of women, sometimes referred to as female Dracula or otherwise being very bloodthirsty, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

A few other things about chill (in vanilla D2 at least, I've forgotten if any of the mods change these):
  • Minions like skeletons and golems can be chilled and, as a result, have the same shatter chance as enemies.
  • Up until a certain patch, mercenaries also had a chance of shattering if they die while chilled. This completely destroyed them if memory serves, so both the mercenary and any equipment you gave them was gone forever.
  • There is also an effect called freeze, which is pretty much Chill But Better. Enemies, minions and mercenaries can be frozen, which freezes them in place in whatever frame of animation they happened to be in.
  • Frozen targets have a 100% chance to shatter when killed, except for mercenaries and players. Mercenaries instead just die while players are immune to freeze and are instead chilled.
  • Spells/abilities that inflict freeze tend to have a shorter duration than those that inflict chill.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Seeing all of the maggots pour out of Duriel's corpse reminds me that, while it doesn't actually do anything (no EXP/gold/items), someone on the dev team went to the trouble of allowing players to squish those maggots/caterpillars/scorpions/creepy crawlies.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Xarn posted:

I am at 1.14d with few pretty vanilla mods (larger stash, reset talents, similar QoL stuff). I am not aware of any iron maiden + golem bugs :v:, I just have the patience to recast golem until the boss eventually iron maidens itself to death. Diablo made this super annoying due to the lightning hose instantly murdering the golem, and the AI really liking the hose over attacking.

If memory serves, there used to be a bug with how Blood Golem's lifesteal worked when interacting with abilities like Thorns and Iron Maiden. The way Blood Golem is supposed to work is that it leeches health from its target whenever it lands a blow, with some of the health leeched going to the necromancer. With Iron Maiden or Thorns involved though the golem would leech health based off of how much damage the monster dealt to itself instead of how much damage the golem itself had dealt.

So, the golem would be effectively immortal as long as it could survive the monster's initial hit, which in turn meant the necromancer could sit back and stay at 100% HP until the monster eventually punched itself to death.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

I'll second that a summon necro is rough starting out in Eastern Sun. On top of what DarkMatt noted, you can't learn Amplify Damage until level 6. This isn't too bad though because Weaken is available at level 1 and reduces physical resist almost as much as Amp does (-60% vs Amp's -80%) on top of reducing enemy damage by 33%. So, you can reroll the odd charm you start with for +1 Weaken to make the journey to level 6 (Amp Damage and Clay Golem) not as painful.

Ideally one of the sets dropped by Corpsefire and/or Bishibosh is the Infernal Set (wand/cap/belt wilth +2 necro skills and +2 summon skills in particular) but any set will do given the kinds of bonuses even a partial set can give.