Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I will always correct "alot" and "i.e." when it is used instead of "e.g." whenever I see it.

I'm also very overly pedantic about the difference between ESL and EFL, even though it basically doesn't matter (and was actually the impetus to make this thread). Though in that case, I think of it as more as a neat fact than, like, an actual mistake.

Also "reiterate" instead of "iterate".

Anyway, what are you pedantic or even overly pedantic about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
sometimes I think I am smarter than I actually am.
This may or may not have happened to you OP

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I hate when people say something "begs the question" when they really mean to say it raises the question. Begging the question means using circular logic.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
people who can't end a sentence with a preposition

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ElectricSheep posted:

people who can't end a sentence with a preposition, rear end in a top hat.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

it's very important to me that you use the original, literal meaning of the word "decimated"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The common confusion between things like "its" versus "it's," "who's" versus "whose," stuff like that. It always grates on me a little bit when someone uses the wrong one.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The common confusion between things like "its" versus "it's," "who's" versus "whose," stuff like that. It always grates on me a little bit when someone uses the wrong one.

shut up nerd

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

shut up nerd

Missing commas also annoy me.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019
When people use "America" for the US instead of the whole continent.

Hilarious when gringos get possessive about literally a Spanish girls' name.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was curious about the whole apostrophe thing and eventually looked it up one day. Apparently it comes English's genitive case. I had always thought it was a contraction, like in other apostrophized words like "can't". But nope, it's from a case marker.
There wasn't any standardization for spelling for a long time, and now we're stuck with these weird and inconsistent marks.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
grilling is not barbeque

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
About everything related to photometry, colorimetry, photonics and visual system neuroanatomy, which basically means the entire Internet is a trigger zone because everything I've ever read about the human eye online is wrong. Between lovely studies about how many FPS we can see by scientists with no background in neuro-ophthalmology to wikipedia quoting that we can only see 1m colors from a book I own that literally doesn't say that, choosing colorimetry as my thesis gave me a career 10 years later but also made me reading anything about "the human eye" an actual hell.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

When I was in college I bitched about the difference between "bimonthly/biweekly" and "semimonthly/semiweekly" so much that the Residence Hall Association rewrote their entire constitution to replace those terms with "once every two months/weeks" and "twice a month/week".

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i counted all the colors i can see and it was way less than 1 million

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Epiphone owners that say they own a Gibson.

You don't.

You loving don't.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
I wanna instantly split all the atoms in the bodies of everyone who says "nucular" instead of "nuclear".

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Elentor posted:

About everything related to photometry, colorimetry, photonics and visual system neuroanatomy, which basically means the entire Internet is a trigger zone because everything I've ever read about the human eye online is wrong. Between lovely studies about how many FPS we can see by scientists with no background in neuro-ophthalmology to wikipedia quoting that we can only see 1m colors from a book I own that literally doesn't say that, choosing colorimetry as my thesis gave me a career 10 years later but also made me reading anything about "the human eye" an actual hell.

Did u know the human eye disproves evolution??

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Devils Affricate posted:

That doesn't do anything to me but every time I stumble upon a site saying the left eye is processed by the right hemisphere of the brain and vice-versa I convulse a little.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Devils Affricate posted:

how so? Please elaborate

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

how so? Please elaborate

It's a common creationist argument https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreducible_complexity#Eye

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Irreducible complexity may not actually exist in nature, and the examples given by Behe and others may not in fact represent irreducible complexity, but can be explained in terms of simpler precursors. The theory of facilitated variation challenges irreducible complexity. Marc W. Kirschner, a professor and chair of Department of Systems Biology at Harvard Medical School, and John C. Gerhart, a professor in Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, presented this theory in 2005. They describe how certain mutation and changes can cause apparent irreducible complexity. Thus, seemingly irreducibly complex structures are merely "very complex", or they are simply misunderstood or misrepresented.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
things get real weird when they get real small

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i am not a pedant

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
It's "Philadelphia Museum of Art" not "the art museum" you animal.

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!
It's actually Frankenstein's Monster.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Epiphone owners that say they own a Gibson.

You don't.

You loving don't.

They don't, they own a better instrument.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i spent a few years as a technical writer in the field of contact mechanics; i learned that "science friction" is a very funny term.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

It's "Philadelphia Museum of Art" not "the art museum" you animal.

as a Philadelphia native, yeah it is. It's the stairs Rocky ran up. It is "The Art Museum"

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
inflammable. flammable. pick one to mean what you think it means, and let me know which means the opposite.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

frumpykvetchbot posted:

inflammable. flammable. pick one to mean what you think it means, and let me know which means the opposite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8mD2hsxrhQ

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Irregardless." Word?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Really, "inflammable" should be "enflammable," if you think about it.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
i love to say "i could care less" because it triggers pendants like loving crazy.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Animal-Mother posted:

"Irregardless." Word?

I think so. Just like embiggens and cromulent

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Animal-Mother posted:

"Irregardless." Word?

I love using it

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

frumpykvetchbot posted:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/flammable#English
Kind of a crazy (and unfortunate) etymology. Apparently "inflammable" comes more directly from the Latin root. But I really like that "inflammable" is listed as both as synonym and antonym.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A poisonous plant might be healthy without being healthful.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Shadow0 posted:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/flammable#English
Kind of a crazy (and unfortunate) etymology. Apparently "inflammable" comes more directly from the Latin root. But I really like that "inflammable" is listed as both as synonym and antonym.

what a country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If it bites you and you die, it's venomous.
If you bite it and you die, it's poisonous.