Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
"Electrocuted" means "died from electric shock"; "electrocuted to death" is redundant.

I get very stressed when I see words abbreviated with dots between the letters but not at the end.

But the worst thing: People who use spaces before punctuation. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

I get very stressed when I see words abbreviated with dots between the letters but not at the end.

I’m not following

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
"We, whom have..."

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

shut up nerd

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

teen witch posted:

I’m not following

Like "U.S.A" instead of "U.S.A." or just without the dots like "USA"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

Like "U.S.A" instead of "U.S.A." or just without the dots like "USA"

Oh cool now that’s going to bother me. Thanks for the brainworm

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
learning enough about grammar and usage and punctuation usually kills the pedant urge.

it's more fun to be a meta-pedant and only point out usage errors in someone's rant about usage errors.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Empty Sandwich posted:

learning enough about grammar and usage and punctuation usually kills the pedant urge.

it's more fun to be a meta-pedant and only point out usage errors in someone's rant about usage errors.

lol bascicalyl this

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The toilet paper roll gets put on the spool overhand, not under.

Same with paper towels if you have them hanging underneath a cabinet; over, not under.

If either of them are under, I will add you to my enemy list :nixon:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

You Are A Elf posted:

The toilet paper roll gets put on the spool overhand, not under.

Same with paper towels if you have them hanging underneath a cabinet; over, not under.

If either of them are under, I will add you to my enemy list :nixon:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

:crackping:

How about the people that place the new roll of TP directly on top of the empty roll or on the vanity counter instead of replacing the empty roll?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I am pedantic, about

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

People who get too het up about the use of the passive voice tend to be annoying.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

CaptainSarcastic posted:

People who get too het up about the use of the passive voice tend to be annoying.

my father was once reviewing a student's college application materials. oddly, they'd included a graded essay. more oddly, it had gotten a bad grade.

the bad grade was because every instance of past tense was marked "passive voice."

I'd blame Elements of Style but I hope people don't read that piece of poo poo anymore.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
The order of words in a sentence

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Empty Sandwich posted:

my father was once reviewing a student's college application materials. oddly, they'd included a graded essay. more oddly, it had gotten a bad grade.

the bad grade was because every instance of past tense was marked "passive voice."

I'd blame Elements of Style but I hope people don't read that piece of poo poo anymore.

In sentences like "If they were here" or "I wish they were here", the verb is not in the past tense, but rather in the subjunctive mood. I think "to be" is like the only verb where this actually makes a difference, but technically it should be "If I/he/she/it were here" rather than "If I/he/she/it was here". I never correct anyone on this, but I do consider it a neat fact!

Empty Sandwich posted:

A lot of grammar rules people think are rules aren't - like ending sentences with prepositions or starting with conjunctions. There's no Council of English Correctness determining anything; there are merely style guidelines. (Though I think French has an academy that determines what is "correct French".)
Language is defined by its usage.
"alot" is still wrong though. :colbert:

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
The opening curly bracket goes under the line with the function's name.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Zybourne Clock posted:

Ok now you're just trying to start a fight

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Zybourne Clock posted:

you are correct, however, programming pedantry is cheating

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I've never fact-checked myself on whether I'm correct about this one, so maybe I'm the idiot, but very often I see people say things like "I'm a little bias here" as if "bias" is an adjective rather than a noun. I assume it's because, when spoken, it's hard to hear the difference between "bias" and the participle form "biased." But yeah I get hella annoyed when I see it written that way.

Also when people spell "lightning" as "lightening."

Also when people say "myself" as the objective form of "I" (e.g., "Send a copy of the document to Tina, John, and myself").

Also when people mix up subjective and objective pronouns, but only when they do it on a sophomoric level (e.g., "Send the document to John and I") rather than a lowbrow one (e.g., "It was me").

I could keep going, but I feel like I'm getting a bit pedantic.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

LargeHadron posted:

Also when people say "myself" as the objective form of "I" (e.g., "Send a copy of the document to Tina, John, and myself").

I mean, it is an objective form of "I", albeit a situational one.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Devils Affricate posted:

I mean, it is an objective form of "I", albeit a situational one.

As a pedant, I appreciate the correction.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I typed up a long response but it was p boring

in English, we've got Garner as the closest thing to a final authority on usage. dude's been writing about usage for decades and has been able to trawl vast swaths of stuff to figure out usage.

if you're interested in this stuff, get a copy of Garner's Modern English Usage. (he doesn't just cover American usage; he's become the authority on all the major varieties.)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
An easy way to remember how to spell “a lot” is to say to yourself “there is a lot of space between a and lot”.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

An easy way to remember how to spell “a lot” is to say to yourself “there is a lot of space between a and lot”.

But what about "alittle"? :ohdear:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Shadow0 posted:

I will always correct "alot" and "i.e." when it is used instead of "e.g." whenever I see it.

https://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html?commentPage=4&m=1

kru
Oct 5, 2003

font / typeface

stop getting it wrong u nerds

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I try to be as pedantic as possible about as many things as possible. If I’m not being pedantic about something please send me a pm about it so I can call you a liar.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The common confusion between things like "its" versus "it's," "who's" versus "whose," stuff like that. It always grates on me a little bit when someone uses the wrong one.

Its should be it's, but it's not because its implies possessiveness on its own?? English needs to get its poo poo together.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Misuse of "a" and "an" also is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Does the next word start with a consonant? Then it's "a." Does it start with a vowel? Then it's "an." This rule is simple phonetics, fer crissakes.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's spelled "peddantic", OP

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Misuse of "a" and "an" also is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Does the next word start with a consonant? Then it's "a." Does it start with a vowel? Then it's "an." This rule is simple phonetics, fer crissakes.

What about semi-vowels?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
If there’s something I haven’t been pedantic about, I try and correct that.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

What about semi-vowels?

Always a

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Something can't more "more unique" or "less unique" or "very unique." It is either unique or it isn't.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I didn't mind "addicting" until I heard someone actually try to argue that it was correct and apparently had been unaware of "addictive" and even tried suggesting it must have been a US/UK difference.

doctors are addicting patients to painkillers
painkillers are addictive to patients

for me the biggest thing is ellipsis with not 3 dots. that is............. like...... so.. annoying....................................

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I have a friend who's super pedantic about the word "jealous" being used when it should technically be "envious" but you know what? That one doesn't matter. At all.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

if you have an odd number of bones you can gently caress right off. yes i am counting your bones so get your poo poo together moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
pretty hate machine came out in the goddamn 80s!!!!!