Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Das Boo posted:

Here's one: When people try to correct valid regional pronunciation it bugs the hell out of me. "GI-luh-teen" (UK) and "gee-uh-teen" (US) are both correct, but I've never been able to say one without someone trying to correct it to the other.

THEY ARE BOTH CORRECT, YOU WANNA-BE PEDANT.

they're bnoth wrong and the right way is the french way, "GEE-ja-tin". actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

That's all fine and dandy, but what if I want to say it in English?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Das Boo posted:

it is very easy to say it properly using english phonemes

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Shadow0 posted:

I once did exactly this. I knew their response before I even said it, and I'm not sure why I said it, so it was kind of surreal.
The problem with the "but you didn't" response implies that if I had made exactly that painting - exactly that painting - people would give me a similar amount of money and recognition for it, but of course that wouldn't happen. I think people are mostly just upset at the obvious money-laundering scheme.

It doesn't imply that at all. It implies you are a critic of something you've never attempted to produce. The purpose of the comment is to either get you to shut the gently caress up, make art of your own, or to engage with the piece as if the artist didn't have you specifically in mind (which they probably didnt).

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Das Boo posted:

Head cutter offer

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Das Boo posted:

Here's one: When people try to correct valid regional pronunciation it bugs the hell out of me. "GI-luh-teen" (UK) and "gee-uh-teen" (US) are both correct, but I've never been able to say one without someone trying to correct it to the other.

THEY ARE BOTH CORRECT, YOU WANNA-BE PEDANT.

Related one, when people try too hard to pronounce words from other languages correctly and over-do it to the point where you can't quite understand them.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Bargearse posted:

Related one, when people try too hard to pronounce words from other languages correctly and over-do it to the point where you can't quite understand them.

this is a pet peeve, not pedantry. the pedant would appreciate the attempt to say it correctly

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

it is very easy to say it properly using english phonemes

But there's already an English version of it, so it's a moot point. There's lots of words that are easy to say in other languages and everyone still has their own versions of them.

"Hartal" is super easy to say in English, but I never hear it used in Western countries. People go for "protest" or "demonstration." Yet if you refer to a hartal as a protest, you are still correct.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Crochet: one hook*
Knitting: two needles

*Tunisian crochet, sit down

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Das Boo posted:

But there's already an English version of it, so it's a moot point. There's lots of words that are easy to say in other languages and everyone still has their own versions of them.

"Hartal" is super easy to say in English, but I never hear it used in Western countries. People go for "protest" or "demonstration." Yet if you refer to a hartal as a protest, you are still correct.

yeah and the english version sounds moronic lmao. gill o teen. jog on mate

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the problem with literally is that people have been misusing it in the same way for 250 years, which is longer than some of the words y'all are pedantic about and/or pedanted at about have even existed in English.

but the word becoming a contranym is pretty loving weird

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

yeah and the english version sounds moronic lmao. gill o teen. jog on mate

See you at the finish line, love!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Empty Sandwich posted:

the problem with literally is that people have been misusing it in the same way for 250 years, which is longer than some of the words y'all are pedantic about and/or pedanted at about have even existed in English.

but the word becoming a contranym is pretty loving weird

For some reason I thought you were still talking about guillotine and imagined a machine that brings decapitated people back to life and reattaches their heads.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Nigmaetcetera posted:

For some reason I thought you were still talking about guillotine and imagined a machine that brings decapitated people back to life and reattaches their heads.

that's the Re-Animator

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My accent is in no way prepared for pronouncing arctic and antarctic so I've resolved to calling it bear land and antipode of bear land.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What part of "phonetics" was unclear to you?

If you wanted your post to be clear, you should have said consonant sound. :smugdog:

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

zedprime posted:

My accent is in no way prepared for pronouncing arctic and antarctic so I've resolved to calling it bear land and antipode of bear land.

But does "antipode" have three or four syllables???

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
i hate it when people are all like "actually its 'to whomst'" or whatever like chill the gently caress out already drat

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I know you're trolling, but could you be a little less obvious about it? This one is uncomfortably tryhardy as well as :wrong:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I know you're trolling, but could you be a little less obvious about it? This one is uncomfortably tryhardy as well as :wrong:

lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Love to eat cheese KAY-sa-DEEJ-ahs

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The common confusion between things like "its" versus "it's," "who's" versus "whose," stuff like that. It always grates on me a little bit when someone uses the wrong one.
shut up nerd
Missing commas also annoy me.

Got to admit, this exchange really chaps my rear end and I want to shove CaptainSarcastic in a locker.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Got to admit, this exchange really chaps my rear end and I want to shove CaptainSarcastic in a locker.

I'm flattered that you assume I could fit in a locker.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

a whole nother.

"nother" isn't a word! "A whole other" works just as well, use it!

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

I am the person who replies "well" when asked how I am.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
It's "Sheet-zu", not "poo poo-zu".

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Bula Vinaka posted:

It's "Sheet-zu", not "poo poo-zu".

Actually it's "xi shih" but ok

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Anyone who defends the mistakes in this thread by invoking the principle of common usage :goonsay:

It can't be common usage if everyone knows it's wrong.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

raspurtin posted:

I am the person who replies "well" when asked how I am.

is this supposed to be about the usage of "good" (adjective) vs. "well" (adverb or adjective)?

because in your example of "how are you?", the verb is "to be" and should be used with an adjective. "i am good" would actually be a correct response. "i am well" would be correct too, but only the adjective form of "well". the adjective definitions of "good" and "well" may differ slightly, but not enough to cause confusion.

the pedantic grammar issue would be relevant if instead someone asked "how are you doing?". in that case you'd need to use an adverb, so "i am doing well" would be correct but "i am doing good" would not.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

I have been out-pedanted

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I assumed raspurtin was just being cavalier about knowingly making a common grammatical mistake. Good call, Bad Purchase.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i live for this poo poo

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Another successful goon project!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I hate it when people call him Dracula, when the actual name of the character is Dracula's monster.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I hate the use of "premise" instead of "premises", to refer to a place.
Even NBN, Microsoft, other cloud providers and IT services companies get this wrong more often than not.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

this is a pet peeve, not pedantry. the pedant would appreciate the attempt to say it correctly

Well played.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

actually i think it would just be a peeve, not a pet peeve, unless it really does have a special place of prominence above your other peeves

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

~Coxy posted:

Even NBN, Microsoft, other cloud providers and IT services companies get this wrong more often than not.

'Regime/regimen' bugs me similarly. Any time someone talks about their "fitness regime" I picture like, some repressive military dictatorship holding a parade that involves weird crossfit routines.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I got a friend who gets super mad if you call pasta noodles. I make sure to do it at every opportunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

~Coxy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szX9g0YyfCA