Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

they're bnoth wrong and the right way is the french way, "GEE-ja-tin". actually

GEE-lain MAX-well, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It’s versus, not verse

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Call Your Grandma posted:

cement is the powdered form. the word you are looking for is concrete.

:wrong:

quote:

What is the difference between cement and concrete?

Although the terms cement and concrete often are used interchangeably, cement is actually an ingredient of concrete. Concrete is a mixture of aggregates and paste. The aggregates are sand and gravel or crushed stone; the paste is water and portland cement.

https://www.cement.org/cement-concrete/cement-and-concrete-basics-faqs

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
It bothers me when movies/shows/games/books/people use military units completely interchangeably like there is no conceptual difference between them.

Squad, Platoon, Company, Battalion, Regiment, Brigade, Division etc are all just thrown about without any logic whatsoever, just as a "Group of military dudes".

The latest Star Wars show mentioned "an entire Imperial regiment" stationed somewhere and it's like 3 dozen guys.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

that's literally what said

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

the Middle East as a monolith, at all; especially when including Iran and Afghanistan and parts of Pakistan as the "Middle East"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I was reading an academic article by a big name psychologist, and had an almost audible record scratch moment when I saw him use "visa versa" instead of "vice versa." I'm assuming he was a big enough name that nobody was brave enough to correct him.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
people with message you with business but say hey what's up first or, hey are you free first and wait for you to respond

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was reading an academic article by a big name psychologist, and had an almost audible record scratch moment when I saw him use "visa versa" instead of "vice versa." I'm assuming he was a big enough name that nobody was brave enough to correct him.

Pronouncing the "vice" part with two syllables is the more traditional form, and closer to the original Latin pronunciation. If you really want to get pedantic about it, in Latin it would be pronounced "weeka wersa" :v:

edit: drat it, for some reason I read your post as saying that you heard him say it this way, as opposed to seeing it in print :eng99:

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 6, 2022

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Delerium, and Angle.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bad Purchase posted:

is this supposed to be about the usage of "good" (adjective) vs. "well" (adverb or adjective)?

because in your example of "how are you?", the verb is "to be" and should be used with an adjective. "i am good" would actually be a correct response. "i am well" would be correct too, but only the adjective form of "well". the adjective definitions of "good" and "well" may differ slightly, but not enough to cause confusion.

the pedantic grammar issue would be relevant if instead someone asked "how are you doing?". in that case you'd need to use an adverb, so "i am doing well" would be correct but "i am doing good" would not.
I say I'm doing well because I am usually frowned at if I say I'm doing evil.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not gonna lie I have contempt for any FLE who is worse at their drat language than me, because my English loving sucks and yet somehow there are FLEs who call angels angles and I'm like, how, why, just, how, how

I once worked in a space game and seeing files like hanger.fbx made me die inside. It's hangar. Aaaaaaaaa

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Elentor posted:

I'm not gonna lie I have contempt for any FLE who is worse at their drat language than me, because my English loving sucks and yet somehow there are FLEs who call angels angles and I'm like, how, why, just, how, how

I once worked in a space game and seeing files like hanger.fbx made me die inside. It's hangar. Aaaaaaaaa

In Japan, EFL students are usually extremely afraid of making mistakes and thus never practice. To encourage them, I tell them that my father is a native English speaker, who speaks only English, yet doesn't know how to spell or pronounce "women" and instead says and writes "wimen". My cousin can't spell "career".

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Finland is not a Scandinavian country, but it is a Nordic country.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Shadow0 posted:

oh word? then how come finnish drivers invented and perfected the scandinavian flick?

prick with tenure
May 21, 2007

Sorry, but that doesn't convulse my being.
Verbage

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

oh word? then how come finnish drivers invented and perfected the scandinavian flick?

The same way Taco Bell perfected Living Más.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Shadow0 posted:

The same way Taco Bell perfected Living Más.

hmm. good point

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Shadow0 posted:

This bugs me too but I keep extra quiet about it because I'm enough of a sweeb already

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

'Regime/regimen' bugs me similarly. Any time someone talks about their "fitness regime" I picture like, some repressive military dictatorship holding a parade that involves weird crossfit routines.

fitness regiment

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Shadow0 posted:

I lost a pub quiz because I refused to put "Denmark" as the answer to a question that involved Scandinavia.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pladdicus posted:

people with message you with business but say hey what's up first or, hey are you free first and wait for you to respond

Reply with https://nohello.net/en/

If your work is full of people who have to come to you with questions, you can also put in https://dontasktoask.com/

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Devils Affricate posted:

in Latin it would be pronounced "weeka wersa" :v:

I thought the jury was still out on this; that there's contention among historians about the 'V'/'W' sounds. Or that it's actually a third phoneme somewhere in between that we don't have anymore.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

I thought the jury was still out on this; that there's contention among historians about the 'V'/'W' sounds. Or that it's actually a third phoneme somewhere in between that we don't have anymore.

Nooclear.... vwvwweeessels

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't think this one has been mentioned, but don't really care if it has. Seeing people use OP to refer to anyone other than the person who started a thread is really irritating. I know it's one of those things a lot of people have started doing simply because it is annoying, and saying anything about it will just encourage them, but it really is annoying.

Edit: On reflection, OP is also acceptable as an abbreviation referring to the first post - the OP of the thread. It can be the originator of a thread, or the first post of a thread, BUT IT CAN'T BE ANYTHING ELSE.

Well, unless you're referring to being OP in a videogame, but that's a completely different thing.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 8, 2022

feller
Jul 5, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't think this one has been mentioned, but don't really care if it has. Seeing people use OP to refer to anyone other than the person who started a thread is really irritating. I know it's one of those things a lot of people have started doing simply because it is annoying, and saying anything about it will just encourage them, but it really is annoying.

Agreed (op)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

yeti friend posted:

Agreed (op)

The parenthesis are confusing me enough to stay my probe finger.

For now.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Edit: On reflection, OP is also acceptable as an abbreviation referring to the first post - the OP of the thread. It can be the originator of a thread, or the first post of a thread, BUT IT CAN'T BE ANYTHING ELSE.

Well, unless you're referring to being OP in a videogame, but that's a completely different thing.

I get the feeling some folks think OP stands for "Other Poster."

Thing is, I'm pretty sure I just figured it meant "Original Poster" on my own years ago so for all I know maybe I'm the mistaken one!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it stands for "ordinary poster" and can be used to refer to any poster without rank or title

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

No, it's original, and probably derived from OG. Unless you want to debate what OG means, which I advise against.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Pretty sure it's ghee-oh-teen in American. No idea what you other idiots call it

ghee-yah-teen is also common maybe more so

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 8, 2022

feller
Jul 5, 2006

That is of course ordinary goon

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Like clarified butter you moron

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

yeti friend posted:

That is of course ordinary goon

Ice T is going to personally show up at your door now, and you won't like what he's bringing.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Would you prefer PP (Previous Poster)?

PP :classiclol:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

whats wrong op? you lick spittle!

epic trylls guy changed the forum nomenclature. accept it; it now just means anyone you are talking to because he's a massive moron and it escaped the quarantine thread.. as a "joke"

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 8, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Wendigee posted:

whats wrong op? you lick spittle!

epic trylls guy changed the forum nomenclature. accept it;

Your posting is what's wrong. :grin:

And if you're making a reverse psychology argument to go back to GBS 1.0 rules, I'm listening.

Edit: Fer crissakes, how many edits do you need to make?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Okay op :blastu:

Edit: all the edits mi hermano!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I used to be a stickler for the oxford comma. Now I prefer going without. It’s sometimes useful but for every example where the oxford comma clears up confusion, it’s really not hard to create one where the opposite happens. Some people still swear by it and won’t shut up. It’s a punctuation mark, don’t make it part of your personality, dweeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Vegetable posted:

I used to be a stickler for the oxford comma. Now I prefer going without. It’s sometimes useful but for every example where the oxford comma clears up confusion, it’s really not hard to create one where the opposite happens. Some people still swear by it and won’t shut up. It’s a punctuation mark, don’t make it part of your personality, dweeb.

You have every right to be completely wrong.