Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Co-conspirator helps distinguish between contra-conspirator. Very important distinction when you are in the Illuminati.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

It is not "chomping at the bit." The correct phrase is "champing at the bit." Horses champ at the bits in their mouth and that is where the phrase comes from.

:confused:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What part of "phonetics" was unclear to you?
There's no such thing as simple phonetics as long as "a historic" and "ahistoric" mean completely opposite things.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My accent is in no way prepared for pronouncing arctic and antarctic so I've resolved to calling it bear land and antipode of bear land.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bad Purchase posted:

is this supposed to be about the usage of "good" (adjective) vs. "well" (adverb or adjective)?

because in your example of "how are you?", the verb is "to be" and should be used with an adjective. "i am good" would actually be a correct response. "i am well" would be correct too, but only the adjective form of "well". the adjective definitions of "good" and "well" may differ slightly, but not enough to cause confusion.

the pedantic grammar issue would be relevant if instead someone asked "how are you doing?". in that case you'd need to use an adverb, so "i am doing well" would be correct but "i am doing good" would not.
I say I'm doing well because I am usually frowned at if I say I'm doing evil.