Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
With Wright I think it's just a bit of short termism. He can't go to the firebirds and probably won't learn much in the OHL at this point, is the thinking. And all the centers are playing pretty well, especially Geekie, and you don't want to actually put the game at risk putting him out there. And the games he has been playing had lots of special teams which of course he's not in any of those units. Scratching him doesn't use up his contract games so I think they're just drawing out their decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wright missed an entire season of development due to the OHL shutting down during the pandemic. He could learn a ton by sending him back, he is way behind similar players at the same age in terms of raw games played.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No it's exactly what it has looked like from day one, Seattle management have absolutely no idea what they're doing.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

With Wright I think it's just a bit of short termism. He can't go to the firebirds and probably won't learn much in the OHL at this point, is the thinking. And all the centers are playing pretty well, especially Geekie, and you don't want to actually put the game at risk putting him out there. And the games he has been playing had lots of special teams which of course he's not in any of those units. Scratching him doesn't use up his contract games so I think they're just drawing out their decision.

While I agree that he’s one of the tweeners who is too good for the CHL but not ready for the NHL/eligible for AHL, the kid needs to be playing hockey. On paper it sounds good that he is “learning from the pros in practice,” but in reality his grandparents traveled to Seattle for their 3-game homestand last week and they scratched him all 3 games lol

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Oilers are 4-0 since Diwali. Lakshmi does good work.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Has a team ever signed a legit star player and immediately poo poo the bed like Columbus appears to be doing?

Vegas getting Eichel by cheating LTIR and missing the playoffs comes close but this feels like it hasnt happened in a long time.

Vegas has done it like 4 times.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Has a team ever signed a legit star player and immediately poo poo the bed like Columbus appears to be doing?

Vegas getting Eichel by cheating LTIR and missing the playoffs comes close but this feels like it hasnt happened in a long time.

Washington when they got Jagr comes to mind. And Jagr was a much better player than Gaudreau at the time.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The answer to this is put him on the wing and make sure he’s getting at least 10-12 minutes a night. Most other teams have figured this out. You can’t tell me that Sprong is more important in a 4th line roll as a winger than developing Wright with some ice time. Sprong doesn’t put up better numbers at all, and obviously wasn’t that important if he needed a PTO to even make the team. There’s room to develop him, they’re just not taking it.

Scratching him doesn’t use up his games, but it doesn’t do any good to have him not playing at all.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mind_Taker posted:

Washington when they got Jagr comes to mind. And Jagr was a much better player than Gaudreau at the time.

Jagr never wanted to go to Washington and they were kinda dumb to trade for him

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't have a whole lot to say about the Pens 4 game losing streak. I think they should consider line blendering the top six and they should move Dumo off the top pair. Beyond that, I don't think there's a lot of things to try that make sense or will do anything.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Kovalchuk's giant contract with the devils. They missed the playoffs and stank super loving hard that year

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I love my team, but holy loving poo poo, something's got to give.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Johnny Hockey REALLY didn't want to come to the Devils. I see that is working out well for him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Johnny Hockey REALLY didn't want to come to the Devils. I see that is working out well for him.

His strategy of throwing away both money and a chance at a cup was an interesting one.

Not that the Devils are necessarily a cup contender but god drat they look a helluva lot closer than the Jackets do. I think the Devils are gonna be the next Carolina in a few years if not sooner. Just a ton of young talent there

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I mean, given that Johnny Hockey is known for being a great performer in the regular season and disappearing in the playoffs, this actually is working out for him, he doesn’t have to worry about his playoff performance.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Why was Pittsburgh in such a rush to get rid of John Marino?

Ty Smith and a 3rd is looking like a steal so far

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

It’s 10 games in if that I wouldn’t quite panic yet (or get too bold)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

The Dirty Burger posted:

Ty Smith looked pretty good but not awesome or anything in Hershey last night.

I'm not sure about Marino. He's too slow on the first stride for the game he was trying to play in Pittsburgh. But a guy looking dramatically better after switching from one of the league's best coaches to one of its worst is remarkable. But Ruff seems to be letting him stick to what he's good at instead of trying to make him a discount Letang.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Devils are clearly good, no bad team dominates shots and possession to the level they have over a 9 game stretch.

It's pretty much just a question of injuries and goaltending now, and how much they drop off against better teams. The Colorado game was a lot closer metrics wise and they'll need solid goaltending to beat those kinds of teams.

e: to be clear I don't think they're this good and their metrics are absolutely gonna drop when they play better teams and more games on the road. But I think they're a serious playoff contender

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 30, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

they needed to dump salary to make Petry fit and they didn't like the idea of it having to be Dumoulin (who probably should have gone) or Pettersson

It makes more sense if you think of it more a matter of getting rid of Matheson and his horrible contract for free and Marino swapped for Petry/Smith

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Devils' D is pretty good now and they are going to add Nemec and Luke Hughes. That is pretty exciting.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

"Eric the Mauve" posted:

I'm not sure about Marino. He's too slow on the first stride for the game he was trying to play in Pittsburgh. But a guy looking dramatically better after switching from one of the league's best coaches to one of its worst is remarkable. But Ruff seems to be letting him stick to what he's good at instead of trying to make him a discount Letang.

The Devils have Dougie and Severson on the right side with Nemec in the pipeline. If he's defensively great that's all they really need.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Probably not enough was made of the fact that Columbus got rid of Bjorkstrand in order to make the salary fit (although that was also because of Grudbranson :lol:) and that Johnny was one of those guys unlikely to repeat his career year.

The hype around landing a big FA is that you get to add a big impact for free, but right now it looks like Columbus is a bad team that slightly upgraded one of their scoring wingers instead of being a medium/good team adding a star to its core. That’s a big difference.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

That Miles Wood goal gave me a boner, also Hischier had one hell of a game

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

Columbus as a franchise has a pattern of acquiring top-tier players in the offseason and immediately squandering their first years. Jeff Carter, Brandon Saad, now Johnny.

???

Also Saad had his only 30 goal season in his first year with CBJ so what were you expecting?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
He's saying they squandered his 30 goal season which is what squandered means

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

As Good Soldier Svejk said, they wanted to make room for Petry on the right side. Hextall's goal was to remake the defense to be more physical. I think they also wanted more offense from the second pair. Ty Smith would likely have made the team but he could pass through waivers and POJ couldn't and the Pens didn't want to lose POJ for nothing.

The Pens didn't get Ty Smith to replace Marino. They got Petry to do that.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

In trying to find his correct IG handle, I found Patrik Laine's Twitch handle is Patsyuk29. :golfclap:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

T-Bone posted:

He's saying they squandered his 30 goal season which is what squandered means

Sure, in the same sense that the Islanders squandered Jason Blake's legendary 40 goal season just... approximately 25% less notable.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

eXXon posted:

Sure, in the same sense that the Islanders squandered Jason Blake's legendary 40 goal season just... approximately 25% less notable.

The leafs found it notable enough

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Levitate posted:

The leafs found it notable enough

He led the team in scoring the last dark year before our lord and saviour Phil rebuilt the franchise. Totally worth it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Furnaceface posted:

back in 2006 the Bruins signed Marc Savard and Zdeno Chara and sucked rear end the next year

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Hell yeah Devils

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Furnaceface posted:

the ducks signed Fedorov in '03 after making the finals and proceeded to go 29-35-10

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/EvolvingWild/status/1586880239459762176?t=BZT_aKJdMZk031snUZGZBQ&s=19

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Man watching the Devils highlights after seeing too much Caps hockey this season... forgot how exciting the game can be!

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Huberdook

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Fire Keefe imo

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

Fire Keefe imo

Dubas first. Also do it five months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I think I'll live in the moment and enjoy this:

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/1586912689380638721