Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1577006060480888838?s=20&t=LTjiKox0TGWTqoPeau84rg

Pens just offerin POJ to everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

So that means they're projecting the Flames and Leafs to be the best two teams in the league? I'm sure that's going to work out.

Doesn't seem so unlikely to me.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Petry/Pettersson were demolished last night. Thankfully Sullivan still has ten'ish days to make the team more functional. I don't understand trading away your remaining left hander, but who knows.

Not super worried about that. New pair, need time to get chemistry. If that pair flops there's plenty of other players they could try there with Petry. Also preseason and vets sucking in preseason is whatever.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/chrisbottanhl/status/1578012707000827909?s=46&t=S7AZZHXbyCqu9eMlqwCl6Q

This guy has sucked out loud since he was in Toronto, how the hell does he still have enough clout to get to choose his son as successor?

I’m sure he’s the most qualified candidate though

Fail sons running huge million dollar enterprises rules

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/DNBsports/status/1578061796141072386

The Oilers have moved on from hiring 80s Oilers to 2006 cup run Oilers.

Senior advisor advising is back?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I know preseason blah blah blah but Sid/Guentzel/Rakell looks fun so far

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

When does the injury curse usually kick in for the Pens?

Blueger is already hurt

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So the Pens I think are still like 700k over even if Friedman clears/gets claimed. Seems like POJ is getting traded or Smith is starting the season in WBS. Or some other unexpected trade happens.

Wouldn't be a huge fan of Smith having to start in WBS. He's looked pretty solid in camp, and better than POJ.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yikes. I sure hope the Pens didn't know about this and do nothing but I know to expect the worst with these things now.

I know Mike Sullivan hated him and that was part of why he got moved but that was allegedly more to Cole being a loudmouth than anything

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1579227765454548992

LOL and Ty Smith didn't even make the Pens. Absolute steal of a trade by the Devils.

He had a good enough camp and should have made it but the Pens can't afford to keep him up and he's the only player they have that can pass through waivers. POJ (who he outplayed) cannot pass through waivers.

By merit he should be up, but he got caught in a cap squeeze. I think the Pens will still try to trade POJ or someone else to make room for Smith because he was good in camp but they haven't been able to do it yet.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah that's definitely a matter of POJ needs and won't clear waivers and Smith doesn't. He definitely had the better camp but he'll be back up sooner than later I'm sure.

I imagine they're already trying to clear cap to play Smith

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Whatever happened with the Willie Mitchell thing? They're still investigating that?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Ready for my old guy team to gently caress the league up

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I haven't gone to a game in a while because of covid. I think the last one I went to was a regular season Pens/Isles game when I was living in New York. This woulda been like 2017-18. I remember even then that a soda was like $13.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

I usually just enjoy slightly overpriced $6-8 beers at bars near whatever arena I'm going to instead of paying $14 at the arena. That way I drink as much as I want to instead of having an internal debate about whether it's worth it to get another $14 can of Bud Light.

Yeah when I go to Pittsburgh (not often since I live like nine hours away) I usually drink at this nice bar/restaurant before the game. There's a place with really good cocktails that is in walking distance of the arena. Or was...I haven't been in a few years now.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Oof. Poor Murray.

He was so good during the two cup runs, and was nasty in the AHL before that. Really weird career trajectory so far.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

lol I saw this while I was watching the game. Pretty awful

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I know shouldn't be surprised by any Gretzky stats but 317gp for 700 points is hilarious

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like the idea of specific goal songs for players. Baseball has obviously been doing that sort of thing for a while. Hockey does it a little bit.

I kinda feel like the guy needs to earn it though. I don't want every single player having their own song. But I do enjoy things like Tampa playing Hammer time when Stamkos scores or when Calgary would do Johnny B Goode when Gaudreau scored.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

This game got pretty decently heated. Ghost tried to explode Malkin's knees into a million pieces in the first period and there was a lot of jawing all game.

Sid rules

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jmarshfof/status/1580741960566214656?s=20&t=Th08VG1X5UMK1ai9hidwMw

Yeah yeah it was against the Coyotes let me enjoy myself ok

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Things going well for Chicago I see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyFSV3IJaI

Kane can't wait for the trade deadline.

It always pisses me off when the AI does this in the EA series and it turns out that they coded it correctly all along

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens look pretty good so far. Granted they played Arizona and then Tampa on a back to back with Tampa having Elliot in net.

Really like how they look so far though

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

They've looked very balanced so far. Of course it's the first time in forever everyone enters the season 'heathy'. The 3rd pairing and PK still raises questions...PoJ has looked like he's having a little difficulty with adjusting, but hasn't look completely out of place. I actually think Ruuta has been a bit disappointing and would appear Sullivan thinks so as well with him only playing 16:45 a night so far though 4 of those minutes are on the PK. I'm glad Sullivan looks like he's trying to reduce reliance on Letang PK'ing...he only has a minute thirty total.

Honestly have very few complaints about anyone so far. POJ even looked much better in game two than one. Every line has done good things.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If the Devils are supposed to be good explain this analyticsailures

https://twitter.com/papiblez/status/1582044858176241671?s=20&t=mNZjmtxy55c9NfP5-aswbw

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Ruff's also a garbage tier coach who was putting Bratt on the second powerplay in game 1 for some reason

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens were real bad tonight, but at least they didnt lose at home to Arizona

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

WeaponX posted:

Practically all of Staal’s skill set has been taken away through age and injury (particularly that horrible eye injury). He has nothing left to give beyond “good in locker room”. It’s amazing a team trying to contend gave him a contract.

Staal had a skill set?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Glad he's working out, he seemed like a good guy. Just didn't fit Sullivan's system at all

He fit it fine, the Pens just didn't like having an entire defense of guys who aren't physical.

Woulda preferred to move Petts or Dumoulin instead of Marino but so it goes

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

that's fair, I guess a better way to phrase it is that it seems like Sullivan wanted someone who could run PP2 and sub in on PP1 when Letang gets hurt and Marino never really had his offensive instincts develop to where he could fit and the Rutta signing made him expendable for the PK.
He was pretty good at everything but not great in a way that they could justify keeping him given his contract.

Granted I do wish they'd kept him and found a Chris Wideman type for the third pairing but if Petry can find his 10 goal/40-point form I'm sure I'll quiet down

Yeah I like Wideman and he seems like the type of guy that teams should be stacking on their third pair.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm predisposed to like Petry because he's not Mike Matheson and that's worth a lot, but I'm still not a big fan of the Pens offseason strategy of "we're the oldest team in the NHL, let's get even older".

Sullivan seems obsessed with vets even by NHL coach standards, and it's probably his biggest weakness as a coach. That or failing to understand what defenseman skill set fits best with his own system.

I don't think Sulilvan has any unusual vet obsession compared to any other coach. Young players that join the Pens and show something get put into situations where they can succeed. Ones that don't get limited minutes or sent down. Like when Jake first came up (years ago granted) the Sullivan immediately put him in the top six. And POJ is getting plenty of opportunity now even though they'd likely get steadier and more reliable results from Ruhwedel.

That said, I do like Petry because he's got more poise than Matheson and he has a mean streak that the Pens d could use. I think adding the physical element that Rutta/Petry bring was a good idea, so long as they aren't possession blackholes - and they shouldn't be. I think going all in one thing with your defense is a risky thing to do, and the Pens were previously too all in on soft puck moving d. Now they've got more physicality, but still should have enough puck moving.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's weird how easily those blades pop out now. I know they're easier to pop in and out compared to how they were when I was younger (intentionally, so that it's easier to replace blades) but even with that I've still never had a blade pop out on me in beer league or whatever.

Granted, I'm not playing at anywhere near the speed NHL players are so uh maybe it's just the level of force they're putting on their blades.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I had my blades profiled a couple weeks ago, and the dude at the counter pulled them out with no fuss at all so he could put them in the machine. I was under the impression they were in there super tight because the skates came with a special tool to wedge the blade free. But nah he pulled the trigger in the back and it basically fell into his hand.

I'm surprised they don't pop out more often, it's all plastic and cheap springs.

Yeah the trigger makes it super easy to get them in and out. You could replace your blades yourself easily if you wanted to, and some guys in beer league do carry backup blades for that purpose.

NHLers change them in and out way more often than we do, especially the ones who are anal about blade sharpness (*cough* Crosby *cough*)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I know fantasy lol who cares but I picked up Kallgren on Tuesday to grab what I figured would be a gimme goalie start so LAS you can definitely blame me for that horrific loss at home to Arizona

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

Every Leafs fan knew that a Monday game against Arizona was a loss the moment the schedule came out.

Leafs fans aren’t upset because the loss was a surprise, they’re upset because it’s a sign that nothing about the team has changed from the last ~3 years

Oh right it was Monday not Tuesday. Well either way I apologize for cursing you all like that

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens introed their retros:

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1583111106935291904?s=20&t=BOk-0HKeOcTf1by4_s4agw

I like the logo. Not sure I'm a fan of the yellow/gold on the shoulders - looks a little too close to a Bruins jersey

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fermun posted:

lmao, I just found out that Malkin's charity is named "I'm Score for Kids"

Geno rules

Hoping the Pens held Guentzel out of the third as a precaution. That fluttering shot by Letang didn't hit him that hard but you never know with pucks to the head.

Pens have had 6 goals in 3 of their first 4 games this season so far

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

That from this year already? It's too early for Dubas to already be saying jesus fuckin christ gently caress me

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Jake is out tonight. Pens already Pensing.

Hopefully won't be out too long. Would suck if he can't play this week because the Pens have 4 games I think

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I am enjoying the Pens looking dreadful in first periods and then pulling 6 goals out of their rear end in each of the past two games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1584268215554740224?s=20&t=Jk9kNHzhNxrYmqO0se8w9A

Guess that means Blueger is still out for a bit