Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
So that means they're projecting the Flames and Leafs to be the best two teams in the league? I'm sure that's going to work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Not a bad contract but holy poo poo Jason Robertson sure keeps getting more expensive doesn't he

and he will deserve it

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Other guy probably pointed out hes not gonna live up to his contract

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I hope that Auston decides he wants to play somewhere else, but only after his NTC kicks in.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Montreal hoping everyone forgot he's a sex offender I guess.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

That seems like a good cap hit, but I dunno about the term. He's already almost 29. Which as we all know is old for a hockey player.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
because of the stupid games in Europe, I thought every team was starting tonight for some reason, and then I realized it's preseason and I don't care!!!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

It's still a little weird... he's a good enough player and he's played both sides decently enough. Is Forbort actually better to have?

Reilly played really well for like 20 games as a Bruin, enough to get a shiny new contract, and he's been absolute garbage ever since. The Bruins have plenty of puck movers already, and Forbort is actually more useful than him because he's better at defense and can score the same amount of points. Hopefully Reilly gets claimed by someone else. I am actually hoping Zboril gets the job vacancy over Forbort though, he's been looking better and better every year.

Edit: Reilly is like a prime "the underlying numbers and advanced stats say he's really good!" kind of guy, but the actual results on the ice and the eye test does not match up at all despite being put in an extremely favorable situation.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 9, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah Lindholm/Grzelcyk are set as LD1 and LD2. I could see Forbort being the 7th defenseman and Zboril taking the LD3 spot when everyone is healthy. I think I've read that they've had Zboril playing his off side a bit as well, so maybe they're both in until McAvoy is back.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Also on that Ian Cole thing, I remember buzz around him hooking up with some Hurricanes reporter or something and cheating on his wife this past season. Seems like he's a scumbag/sexual predator in general and he hasn't changed at all.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
There seems to be some confusion. Cole was bragging to his Carolina teammates about cheating on his wife with the Hurricanes sideline reporter. He was bragging to St. Louis teammates about grooming a child. Presumably he did something lovely on his stop in Pittsburgh too.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 10, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

clean ayers act posted:

in the statement she alleges one of cole's former teammates told her cole bragged about hooking up with her to teammates

Well we know Cole got married in 2015, when he was still with the Blues, and in the statement the woman talks about he's bragging about all the women who he's not actually dating. She also mentions he'd only been in the NHL for "a few years" So it seems logical to assume this all stems from his time there.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jordan7hm posted:

Anonymous tweet?

I mean I think he's a shitter and probably did it based on all the stories surrounding him, but it likely is an anonymous or pseudonym account. The account was made less than a month ago, with only that tweet, and the name might as well be Jane Doe. Which makes sense! I'm sure she is facing threats and harassment and I wouldn't want to use my real name either.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

DJExile posted:

Hockey writers try to will so much stupid poo poo into existence but god drat

absolutely nobody believes this

I think NHL games in a college barn has the potential to be a good experience, moreso for fans than players, but maybe both. We won't really know until they start playing games in it. Obviously it's not ideal, and because it's the Coyotes there's a good chance it won't work out, but I also don't think the possibility is outlandish. I don't really understand why people get so worked up over an arena.

PS: I don't mean you, specifically. It's just sentiment I see all over the place and your post is conveniently right here.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 10, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
pretty sure its just a troll looking for that exact reaction. The list of people they're following is a little too on the nose

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the ads aren't as intrusive as I thought they would be, but they are still intrusive, and I don't like them at all

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
thanks for the insight peewee

the ads would probably be fine if they didn't change DURING play, I think. It's so annoying as is.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Bruins have six Czech players on the opening night roster (Pastrnak, Krejci, Zacha, Nosek, Zboril, Lauko) out of 40 Czechs in the entire NHL. Kind of a neat tidbit. I wonder if any other teams have contingents of non-Canadian/non-American players that large. Someone out there must have a bunch of Finns or Swedes, but I don't know off the top of my head.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Kind of a sloppy first game for Boston but they got the win. They're missing some key players and learning a whole new system, so some hiccups are to be expected I suppose. Bergeron and Krejci are just as good as they always were, and the Bruins Czech line looks fantastic. Taylor Hall needs to stop taking penalties.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

this is the high point of the season for Philly

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Cartoon Man posted:

It’s two games back to back and they’ve had bad bounces not go there way. They clearly have problems, Carlson and the Power Play being the obvious, age another, but it’s not dogshit garbage tier.

Trying not to panic yet.

They've also played two of the better teams in the league. If this was mid season I think people would be disappointed but not necessarily surprised that the Caps dropped those two games.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Eric the Mauve posted:

Wanting Patrick Kane on your team is really gross, I'm thankful the Penguins don't have the cap space to even think about it.

Luckily the Penguins have never employed anyone heinous in recent memory

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

I mean that's pretty laughable but it's also highly likely that the person has their account set to not accept any direct messages, to avoid all the nasty stuff that people would almost certainly be spamming them with. So there really isn't anything the NHL can do other than send a dopey reply asking them to message them.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Leafs losing to Arizona is so funny. I know they're all pros, and anything can happen, but it's still funny

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Wippersnapper posted:

https://twitter.com/harmandayal2/status/1582192725084246016?s=46&t=UXQbhEgVBhPd94CfsfL6kA

The Vancouver Canucks. Maybe management should have… traded out people?

3 games into the season lmao

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Idk why I feel more excited about this season than I have the past few years, but I am. Everything seems more exciting and entertaining so far.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Staal plays an important role, which is getting embarrassed by world class talents like Pastrnak on a regular basis so ESPN can put it on their highlight reel and grow the popularity of the sport.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't know what Grade 2 means, in terms of groin strains. Is that better or worse than Grade 1.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I figured Boston was gonna lose this one since it's their third game in four nights, and the second of a back-to-back. But even with all of Boston's injuries, letting a team like Ottawa drop 7 goals on you is Not Great. I guess on the plus side they also scored 5 goals.

Also saw Vancouver blew it again. Pretty funny

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Saw this in an Elliotte Friedman article the other day, don't know if it was already posted. It's the first time I've ever heard of it. Seems like a really good and obvious thing to do, I'm kind of surprised it wasn't a thing already. Do the other major leagues do this ?

quote:

One great thing that happened in hockey over the summer: the NHL Alumni finalized a deal with the league and teams where ex-players can go to current facilities for medical examinations. You don’t have to go where you played, so if you live near Los Angeles, but didn’t play for the Kings, you can still get an appointment. Medical coverage is not cheap, which means it is real change. I think there’s still one team that isn’t finalized, but we must get there because this care is critical.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Eric the Mauve posted:

I assume the costs are being evenly distributed across all teams but yeah I dunno how you deal with the fact the Lightning's doctors will have 200 retired players seeking their time while the Penguins' doctors will have about 5.

lol 1000% it's one of the teams owned by either an rear end in a top hat billionaire (Canucks, Jets) or a megacorporation (Leafs, Flyers)

My guess is Calgary. Cheap owners, and I'd imagine that there's a relatively large amount of NHL alumni in western Canada for whom Calgary would be the closest team.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I always liked Vladar in Boston but it was obvious he'd never really get the chance to be anything more than a backup there. Good for him.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I almost....ALMOST, feel bad for Canucks fans.

Sike

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
maybe they can trade for Jordan and sign Jared so that they can all voltron on the ice into a giant guy who gets deked out of his skates

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

T-Bone posted:

how bad do the Canucks have to get before the Devils can have Quinn?

That would be so sick

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Hockey is random and the difference between the very best team and the very worst team is not as pronounced as in other sports. I think that's part of why it's fun.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

bub spank posted:

As opposed to the superior Tkachuk, who has 8 points in 5 games and brings That Captain poo poo every game

which one is that

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
If you told me the Canucks are already eliminated from the playoffs, in terms of probability or whatever, I would believe you

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I don't get it. It's virtually the same team as last season. If anything, it should be slightly better. Granted, I think they over-performed last year, but they shouldn't be *this* bad.

I mean, part of it is the schedule. They've lost to some really good teams. Like Buffalo, Philadelphia, and Columbus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm glad he said something because it means that more Canucks fans are going to throw their $150 shirt on the ice and think they're proving a point, and the players are going to get even more pissed, and maybe they'll trade them.