Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I just finished watching the 2016 Pens-Caps and Pens-Lightning series and I heartily recommend anyone who likes hockey take that trip down memory lane, all the games are on Youtube. Those two series were some of the best hockey that has ever been played. All three of those teams were insanely good. Also holy poo poo have the Lightning been dirty fuckers throughout the Cooper era, that's definitely not a recent thing.

2016 was probably the best Caps team of the Ovi era, I forgot how beastly that team was. I'm retroactively glad they got their Cup in 2018, those Penguins losses in '16 and '17 were some bullshit.

It’s all good. I kind of just consider their Cup a culmination of a great era rather than just breaking it down season by season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Static ads are fine. Or just switch up ads during whistles/TV timeouts.

But on the fly ads are going to be really annoying!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I actually thought letting go of Brunette could have made sense. You know, if they hired Barry Trotz.

Instead they hired the guy who quit his old job because he didn’t think he was good enough to make them a winner.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Oshie will be lucky to play 40 games this year. He tries to play a physical game but forgets that his bones and joints are made of dust.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

fermun posted:

Get real, Hughes is a 2nd pairing guy on half the teams in the NHL.

Uh what?

You are either selling Hughes really short or have an absurdly high opinion of defensemen across the league.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I usually just enjoy slightly overpriced $6-8 beers at bars near whatever arena I'm going to instead of paying $14 at the arena. That way I drink as much as I want to instead of having an internal debate about whether it's worth it to get another $14 can of Bud Light.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

John Carlson sucks. The Caps PP sucks.

Hockey... is good??

:yeah:

Not going to take too much from one game but Fehervary-Carlson sucked as a pair last year and they stank tonight. Hopefully that changes.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Capitals look very old to start the season.

Lindgren was great. The third goal against looked like a softie until the replay showed Matthews tipped it.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Washington needs to put McMichael in the lineup tomorrow. It’s baffling that he didn’t get a lineup spot to open the year.

I appreciate what Lars Eller did for the Capitals in 2018 but he was dogshit last year and has been poo poo this year. He shouldn’t be blocking McMichael’s spot in the lineup.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/ryannovo62/status/1581452151586361346?s=46&t=e6tl3i9qJBJH4SQYlQ7axQ

As a Caps fan let me say please do not fire Lindy Ruff

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Still can’t believe Vanecek got $3.4M x 3 from NJ.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Vanecek's career save % is 25 points higher than what the Devils got last season, it's not that surprising.

I guess. Just surprised at how ~80 games of below average goaltending is enough to get a $10 million deal. Also in the context of the Kuemper deal it makes even less sense to me.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I think it’s funny that they basically had to give up Bjorkstrand for free so they could fit in Gudbranson.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

To continue with injury news Connor Brown is out long term with a lower body injury. Looked like a knee injury, wouldn’t be surprised if it was the ol’ ACL.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Who was it whose iron man streak was recently broken by suspension?

e: it was Cogliano. That's kind of funny.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I continue to watch and support the Washington Capitals as a protest against our government continuing to recklessly arm Ukraine and line the pockets of defense contractor CEOs.

I also like watching Ovie sock dingers.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

John Carlson exits with an injury in the first period and Washington gets their first shutout of the year. I think these two things are related.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Has a team ever signed a legit star player and immediately poo poo the bed like Columbus appears to be doing?

Vegas getting Eichel by cheating LTIR and missing the playoffs comes close but this feels like it hasnt happened in a long time.

Washington when they got Jagr comes to mind. And Jagr was a much better player than Gaudreau at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/capitals/status/1587245616417198082?s=46&t=yxes6FyG9sOBusmLJ2vZ5Q

This is like an NBA-level ankle breaking