Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

rex rabidorum vires posted:

You'll be shocked to know on a cursory glance at the usual trash I regurgitate that I am very confused by this contract and have a disagreement with JFresh's player card ranking him so high.

Mattias gets heavy defensive zone deployment. During those deployments he gives up an ok amount of shots with a 48/52 split. His actual outcomes suck. 41.5% actual goals for and worse he ranks 2nd on the team with 3.78 goals against per 60. The expected split is an improvement in that instead of suck out loud it is just bad with a 46% xG. A big part of this is because Buffalo's goaltending is quite bad. Other things to note - Owen power topped the xG chart with 55% in his 8 games. No one else topped 47%. Of the pairings Mattias played with he significantly hurt Dahlin and Fitzgerald. With Pysyk or Bryson numbers were improved. In terms of xG the only player that had improved expected numbers was him and Dahlin. Every other pairing was worse when he was added to it.

This is Matias at the Bills slaughter of Pittsburgh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Sabres won the first game, they are definitely going to go 82-0-0
I know it was just 1 game but... remember when everyone said the Sens and Redwings had pulled away from the Sabres due to winning the offseason? 4-1 Sabres over Sens.

What if the Sabres late season surge last year was the real deal and that's how good they are now?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Koopa Kid posted:

This is like the seventh year running now that Sabres fans have gotten overly hype for the team early in the season, although I think game 1 might be the earliest this has happened. They’ve gotta be right sometime, why not this year!
?! The Sabres had a hot start in 18-19 and 19-20. 2 years does not equal the last 7.

It’s ok. I’m sure it’s just because 7 is on your mind because this will be the 7th year in a row the leafs get eliminated in round 1.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Koopa Kid posted:

I really do appreciate the endless optimism, and I’m not being sarcastic about that

If early season for the Sabres is like the regular season for the Leafs then February-April is their Round 1 equivalent. Same football, different timescale.
Optimism was at an all time low at the start of last season. I’d actually say there was none. The Sabres had just finished in last place, and had the Eichel injury/trade overshadowing everything. They made no significant offseason moves, signed the worst goalies in the league and were essentially a cap floor team. It looked like intentional tanking.

Then on top of that they lost 500 man games to injury from October to February, which was 2nd to Montreal.

Over the course of the season the Sabres slowly added new pieces to the line up. Like Samuelsson and Bryson from Rochester, Tuch and Krebs from the Eichel trade.

Then they all got healthy in March and the Sabres broke out of their round 1 equivalent. They went 16-9-2 in March+April, with only 8 of those games against non playoff teams. Including 3-0 against the
Maple leafs.

More wins than in the previous 4 seasons March+April’s combined, against the hardest strength of schedule in the league during that stretch.

It was the first time we had any optimism to end a season in 11 years.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

bub spank posted:

Sabres looked better than I expected, but 2 of those 4 goals were into an empty net in the last minute.
Yeah, and 2 with the goalie in the net.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

41, coincidentally also his jersey #

Edit: we’re obviously joking about the Sabres being good already. They probably won’t make the playoffs this season but they have a growth mentality and the org has an actual plan now so we’re all very optimistic.
Yeah lol. Me saying the Sabres are better than Det and Ott is not the same as calling them good. And even if they are as good as they were during their "hot finish" that would mean they are a middling team. They were 15th in the league for March+April, 2 points from 10th place and 2 points from 20th during that stretch. I don't think it's crazy to think the Sabres could be in the 15-20th range if things go well for them this season. That's how low the upper bound of my optimism is.

Instead of being near the top of the garbage heap of the bottom teams of the league like they were last year, maybe they could move up to the bottom of the garbage heap of the middling teams of the league this year.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Talking heads keep saying he’ll end up in Buffalo because hometown hero or whatever but this team is built on good vibes and Kane is like 100% bad vibes and would make them actively worse. I don’t give a gently caress if he’s good at scoring goals and won a few cups.
Why do you think Kane would be bad vibes?

Kane's play making on a line with Tage Thompson's shot sounds like really good vibes to me.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

DJExile posted:

Foegle gave Dylan Holloway a brutal suicide pass last night

https://twitter.com/zjlaing/status/1582558548768149504
Boosh Smoosh

edit: He's been as advertised so far for the Sabres.

Solid bottom pairing Dman with some snarl and is good for a boneheaded penalty a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Sabres beat the Red Wings 8-3 (lmao) and Tage Thompson was a man possessed

https://twitter.com/sabresplays/status/1587256009944453124?s=46&t=GbCnL1iiH2pNOzL5Y0MAyg

Tage Hat Trick

Edit: right at the end of this clip, the angle let’s you see Dahlin’s reaction to the goal and it’s incredible.
Hopefully we can catch up to the Wings rebuild…

You forgot to mention we’re down 3 starting Dmen. One out injured from each pair.

Edit: https://twitter.com/SabresStats/sta...s1_c10&ref_url=

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/s...s1_c10&ref_url=