Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sometimes you have a great goaler like Jakob Markstrom in the regular season!

Sometimes you have a lovely goaler like Jakob Markstrom in the playoffs!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

It's likely to do with the fact that McDavid hasn't even glanced in the direction of his own zone for the past five years.

This isn't really true. He's improved to "fine" defensively or at least in terms of rates against.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Over the last 3 seasons McDavid averages 2.6 expected goals against per 60 with 28.5 scoring chances against and 11.6 high danger chances also per 60 all at 5v5. xG split of 3.15 for and the 2.6 against for a 55% split and .55 delta.

By comparison Matthews sports a 3.21 xGF per 60 and 2.16 against. Fully worth an expected 1.05 goals per 60 minutes played. Nearly twice that of McDavid. This is because Matthews only sees 25 scoring chances against per 60 and, more importantly, 9.55 high dangers per 60. Considering the weight for each high danger against is roughly .15 xG that goes a long way to explaining the gap between the two.

Blah blah blah Rex I don't care about your made up fake statistics numbers! Ok? Over that same time Matthews has 3.85 actual goals per 60 and 2.5 actual goals against. 60.65% actual vs 59.77% expected. Conor has a 3.59 per for and 2.82 per against actual giving him a 56% actual outcomes vs his 55% expected.

Based on just this extremely quick and dirty work have to say Matthews is definitely the more valuable player and it isn't particularly close.

Connor's last two seasons are a lot different than the one prior them.

I also don't care about the comparison between the two players I was addressing specifically the idea that Connor is bad defensively which hasn't been true for a couple of seasons now.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 5, 2022

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm not sure its as much of McDavid has focused on defense as it is he doesn't play with Leon nearly as much.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1577864719314128896

Connor still rocks

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Ladies and gentlemen the Canucks *jazz hands*

Well I thought Hughes was going to win the Norris!!!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

This was his first game back on the left side because management galaxy brained themselves by saying they'd solved the defensive problems by moving him to the right side with OEL. It didn't work.

Lmao this owns

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/DNBsports/status/1578061796141072386

The Oilers have moved on from hiring 80s Oilers to 2006 cup run Oilers.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mennoknight posted:

oilers fans celebrating the preseason like its the cup? ludicrous

Celebrating hockey is cool, whether its preseason or the second round of the 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs!!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

TSN wouldn't have rights to the game and Sportsnet chose the millions watching the Jays over 100k watching the hockey game.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

It’s definitely not millions, but a hell of a lot more than an afternoon game between 2 American teams that suck.

It definitely is millions of viewers. They averaged like 3.5 million per the last time they made the playoffs.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Makes me wonder why Edmonton didn't sign Brassard, he's probably better than at least a couple Edmonton forwards

Probably because he was unplayable last season

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Starsfan posted:

https://twitter.com/Iwantadonair/status/1580030429951774722

Jesus Christ this is the sickest thing I've ever seen in my life

Is stadium food not this price literally everywhere at this point outside of Atlanta? A draft beer alone in Toronto is 13-15 now. Not to defend the Oilers cause gently caress Katz but how is this a surprise to anyone?

At least at Jays games you can bring your own food (case the food at the skydome fuckin sucks)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 12, 2022

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popcorn is like 9 bucks each now and fountain pops are 7 I think usually?

Its robbery but its like that everywhere. A popcorn and drink at a movie theatre is close to 20 bucks.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Also, Carey Price just stay retired:

https://theathletic.com/3681892/2022/10/12/carey-price-return-career-injury-canadiens/

quote:

No, Price has not decided to retire, but the circumstances needed for him to avoid having to make that difficult decision seem quite elusive.

What’s on the table for Price is something called OAT surgery, or an Osteochondral Autograft Transfer.

“I have a large hole in the cartilage of my knee, basically where my knee impinges,” Price explained, having become somewhat of a medical expert over the last year. “They would basically take a plug of bone and cartilage out of a lower-wear area in my knee, and then place that plug into the damaged area in my knee. So it’s pretty intrusive.”

Not only that, but the success rate is not all that high. A 2016 study by five orthopedic surgeons from the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota and another from the University of Utah estimated the long-term success rate to be 72 percent, a success rate that is lowered if there was previous surgery on the knee, as is the case for Price, and the bar for success being able to live a pain-free, normal life, not necessarily being able to tend goal in the NHL.

quote:

“It’s right in your knee joint,” he said. “So, like, you kind of need that in your day-to-day living. I mean, Tommy John, yeah, you use your arm every day. But you’re not walking on your arms. So I feel like that’s a surgery I wouldn’t do unless I was in a certain amount of pain and really not living well, which is not the case. For the most part in day-to-day living, I’m good. Like, walking around, I feel pretty good. I have a hip issue and an ankle issue all down the same chain, so I kind of figured that would be a problem towards the end of my career. I have a back issue, too. So it’s not just my knee. It’s other parts of my body that are screaming at me too.”

Price said he asked the doctor who proposed the surgery if he would be doing so if Price didn’t want to play hockey again, and the response was basically no. He’s performed this surgery on hockey players before, Price said, but not so much on goaltenders who, as we’ve seen before in Price’s case, put a lot more torque on their knees than other players do.

“The success rate of the surgery, if I were a gambling man, which I’m not really, you’re gambling your next 20 years on a surgery that isn’t 100 percent success rate. It’s much lower than that,” Price said. “I think he said 75 (percent), but it’s probably lower than that. That would be optimistic, and that’s just for a surgery for people that are just going about their day, for the surgery to be successful. I look at that more on the pessimistic side, like, what if it doesn’t work and I had this surgery and now I can’t walk up and down a hill or kneel down to play with my kids?”

The article states he hasn't decided to get the surgery but he's considering it because its pretty much the only way for him to play again.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1580203021912313858

I literally know nothing about this player so uhh ok?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/status/1580234961009119234

Oh uhh seems bad!!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/JasonGregor/status/1580424195015860224

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1580571712542081030

don't stop forever never stop or ever stop for never

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I guess Markstrom has ptsd from the playoffs cause Vladar is starting tonight.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If you're not relying on Murray then you shouldn't be paying him 4.7 million

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

marioinblack posted:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1581406194694238209

Welp. NHL says they weren't able to contact the accuser so this will fall by the wayside.

Don't worry they tried really hard for an entire week.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KatieJStrang/status/1581428596639379456

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

eh, at this point you're better off waiting for a flailing team to fire their good coach unless there's a good candidate out there

There's a reason they hired Brunette this summer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

fisting by many posted:

Like there are some players you think "well their defense is awful but if they ever figure that out they'll be a dynamo". Like that year McDavid was dogshit defensively, then when he fixed that over the summer because he is a hockey machine he had that crazy super MVP season.

JT Miller is not a player who is going to figure out defense.

Also against the Oilers 2 goals were Oilers powerplays, 1 was a SHG for the Oilers and the last was an empty netter.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ok so who's getting fired first? Boudreau or Keefe?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nah companies can buy private medical insurance for employees that work outside the country or for people that aren't covered by their provincial plans. It's pretty simple.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

pseudodragon posted:

But in this case, like a dude who retires in Vancouver who wants to see the Canucks doc because their knee is hosed from playing 12 years in the NHL is probably a BC resident who is provincially covered. The NHL docs are probably the most experienced ones dealing with those types of injuries, but it's also something they could theoretically go to some regular provincial doctor for.

That team doctors working in Canada needs to be provincially licensed and generally has or works at a local clinic. The Oilers team doctors for example generally come from the Glen Sather sports clinic.

A referral there would be covered by someone's insurance whether thats provincial or private.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

McDavid had 4 points and i barely even noticed him tonight. He might be good folks.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Sabres won last night! But…

https://twitter.com/sabresplays/status/1583295737592324096?s=46&t=TwFTXXjE0LLCesvR-roiLQ

What the gently caress was that Ref thinking? Why was he so far off the boards???

Edit: “hitting off the ref”? He literally kicked it to a Calgary player lmao

Seems like it was a hosed up breakout where the ref was skating up ice and then a turnover at the blueline? Only thing that makes sense

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

He looks like a shadow of his former self this year. I used to this his defensive issues were overblown. He looks like he picked up the sport over the summer right now. He's a trainwreck. I'm not gonna judge him on five games because Petey was equally cold to start last year but drat the guy signed a questionable extension a month ago. The least he could do is play with the tiniest bit of fire to maybe allay some of the concerns fans had with signing him until he's 37 at 1st line centre money.

https://twitter.com/jkmnew/status/1583526447482040320

Don't worry, JT's got this

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mennoknight posted:

I live in Ottawa and yes, deep fried fiber balls make me poo poo

Take the boy outta berta but can't take the deep fried fiber balls out da boy

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I asked Lakshmi for the Oilers to be blessed and it worked. Happy Diwali!!!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bub spank posted:

https://twitter.com/moneypuckdotcom/status/1585249320390926336?s=46&t=2NYqmCdl2y9NYvHejHjKfA

Just like we all expected. Radio Gudas, Cody Ceci, and 2 of Ottawa’s d-pairings.

Nurse and Ceci are both having their best seasons so far while Ryan Murray and Brett Kulak look like they don't know how to skate.

Nurse has managed to cut his SA/60 by 6 shots and both his GA/60 and xGA/60 are the lowest of his career (as is pretty much every other defensive metric). He's been excellent so eat poo poo Flames fans!!!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ahahaha holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/PHNX_Coyotes/status/1585291444234829826

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Pungry posted:

I'm not defending any of what the Coyotes do. I get annoyed when people get mad at the fanbase for defending their team. They're fans. What do you expect?

If Flyers fans can repeatedly call their own team dogshit garbage, then so can Coyotes fans.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Gerblederp posted:

What the gently caress is there to defend?

The Kachina

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Pungry posted:

The sad thing is that the Coyotes fanbase did yell at the leadership and it resulted in this absolute shitshow. Back when they were in Glendale, there were constant town hall meetings where fans would go and yell at the leadership like below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UfOfAvNVJU

Really, since the new owners turned out to be absolutely awful the only remaining ray of hope Coyotes fans have is that Doug Armstrong built the Blues' cup winning team and seems like he's made all the right moves since. Everything else has just been depressing as hell. Especially the John Chayka poo poo like drafting Mitchell Miller.

Well you're thinking of current GM of the cup winning Blues DOUG Armstrong.

Current Coyotes GM is BILL Armstrong (who worked for the blues in scouting and also is an rear end in a top hat according to that front office thing the Athletic put out plus the Rick Westhead piece about the scout who'd been sexually abused and was cut by the Blues when his story came out)

Also, wasn't Chayka gone when they drafted Miller and Armstrong was hired but not allowed to be part of the draft?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The Kraken haven't yet covered up any abuse.

Their GM "handled" Bill Peters kicking and punching his own players!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Francis was already hired by the Kraken when the Peters stuff all was revealed. I'm not sure the Kraken ever publicly commented on it, though Karamanos said that Francis never told him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

DancingMachine posted:

Sorry I'm a bit of a hockey newbie: I think I vaguely understand what xGoals are, and xgoals per 60 minutes makes sense to me as a way to rank defender pairings. But I don't know what "xgoal%" is or why that would be better than xgoals per 60? It's weird to me that a couple of Kraken defender pairings show up in the list but actually appear to have pretty mediocre xgoal per 60 minute scores (and generally it seemed commonly accepted to me that Kraken defense is bad).

I'm a Kraken fan btw, obviously that's why I'm new. Hi NHL thread peeps!

xGoal% is taking the total of XGoalsFor and XGoalsAgainst, adding them together and giving you the % of xGoalsFor from that.

So if the xGoalsFor is 60 and the XGoalsAgainst is 40, the XGoals% is 60 (60/100)