Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The models also can’t account for ~~vibes~~ which is why the Sabres will do better than the models predict. Unfortunately the models are predicting them finishing at the bottom of the league so that means they won’t make the playoffs but won’t be low enough for a meaningful draft pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ace Jameson posted:

that’s garbage starting a fight after a completely clean hit, he rightfully got the 10 for instigating

Yeah it seemed kind of excessive, like why fight in a preseason game? Maybe he just wanted to say he got the Gordie Howe hat trick lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Are the Preds & Sharks playing in Europe? Is that why they are playing regular season games at the same time as preseason games?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1578865361759379456?s=46&t=I_zzrFvSfhdUZuFGcNxM2A

Kyle Okposo is the Captain of the Sabres

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

He’s great. Huge kid who plays physical and is actually really good at defense. He’s going to start the season paired with Dahlin and it’s going to be glorious. The top two pairs of Samuelsson-Dahlin and Power-Jokiharju should be great. That’s 3.5 great defensemen, Jokiharju needs to step up.

Not so sure about Bryson-Lyubushkin though, Bryson is questionable at best. Lyubushkin better be really good lol

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 12, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Starsfan posted:

I kind of relate it to the John Klingberg contract, who was signed for a 7 year term at 4.25 mill a season after his rookie (65 game) season. Now obviously there's a difference in that Klingberg's offensive talent which was obvious even after his first year is more of a premium skill than the things that Samuelsson does well, but it shouldn't be forgotten that at the time of signing that contract there was very mixed feedback with alot of people expressing incredulity at the idea of signing a player to a max term contract on the basis of a 65 game sample and others pointing out the huge issues with his defensive zone play.

The Klingberg contract ended up being a massive positive value for the Stars, and for a period of a few years was considered one of the best if not the absolute best contract in the entire league. The Buffalo Sabres are taking a big risk, but if this guy can even turn into a decent 20 minute a night defenseman over the time period of that contract it's a big win for them.

You’re right that he’s like an opposite version of Klingberg. When the Sabres are good in a few years, this contract will be a steal.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Koopa Kid posted:

I have bad news

I liked Lyubushkin fine on the Leafs but he’s a very limited, one-dimensional guy. If you need someone to rough people up in front of the net, throw an occasional open-ice hit that may or may not be a penalty, and has no other skills or abilities he’s your dude

He was supposed to be their big off-season defense acquisition and uhhh it was a weird choice. I still think they should’ve gotten PK Subban. Also Pilut came back from Europe and they sent him to Rochester in favor of Bryson, might be a mistake idk. Defense is definitely the Sabres weakest link right now and has the least depth.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

This is Matias at the Bills slaughter of Pittsburgh.

We love this poo poo in Buffalo. He’s good at defense, the Sabres just had absolutely atrocious goaltending last year. If Anderson or UPL can stay healthy they will do better. Maybe not playoff caliber but anyway here’s tonight’s lines, probably:

Skinner-Thompson-Olofsson
Quinn-Mittelstadt-Tuch
Krebs-Cozens-Peterka
Girgensens-Asplund-Okposo

Samuelsson-Dahlin
Power-Jokiharju
Bryson-Lyubushkin

Anderson

Three of those players are 30 or older. The guys on the third line are each like 19-20 lol this season is going to be wild!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

whatis posted:

i've been waiting for this for weeks now. jeff skinner doesn't disappoint and there's a few other gems in here as well

https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1580600654690516995

Some of these are incredible, Skinner is the best at picking these. He’s such a goofball.

Individual goal songs is the coolest poo poo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres won the first game, they are definitely going to go 82-0-0

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How old is Craig Anderson now? 50?

41, coincidentally also his jersey #

Edit: we’re obviously joking about the Sabres being good already. They probably won’t make the playoffs this season but they have a growth mentality and the org has an actual plan now so we’re all very optimistic.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 14, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Wanting Patrick Kane on your team is really gross, I'm thankful the Penguins don't have the cap space to even think about it.

Because they totally would think about it.

Talking heads keep saying he’ll end up in Buffalo because hometown hero or whatever but this team is built on good vibes and Kane is like 100% bad vibes and would make them actively worse. I don’t give a gently caress if he’s good at scoring goals and won a few cups.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I know Comrie isn’t going to give the Sabres Vezina-level goaltending all season but I am going to enjoy it while it lasts because he was insane last night. Just an absolute brick wall. Also:

https://twitter.com/nhl/status/1582559332306063362?s=46&t=oL2b0OVcdy9riZFBer8zeA

Tage Thompson

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DJExile posted:

Flyers announced Felix Sandstrom gets the start tonight vs Florida

That’s not a real player’s name, right?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/sabrespr/status/1583276755095552001?s=46&t=inqBDB-TIcqTUdT3FxGAFg

Dahlin for Norris

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres won last night! But…

https://twitter.com/sabresplays/status/1583295737592324096?s=46&t=TwFTXXjE0LLCesvR-roiLQ

What the gently caress was that Ref thinking? Why was he so far off the boards???

Edit: “hitting off the ref”? He literally kicked it to a Calgary player lmao

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 21, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dahlin scored a goal, so that’s a goal in each of their first five game. Broke the record that he set on Thursday lmao

Dahlin for Norris

Edit:

https://twitter.com/thechargingbuf/status/1584009543771881472?s=46&t=WvmWplRi9Ea31-GstugIvw

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Boudreau pulled the goalie with ~3 minutes left and the Sabres immediately scored an empty netter to make it 4-1. Then Demko went back into the goal and Olofsson scored on him to make it 5-1 lmao the Canucks are special

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThinkTank posted:

yup, they had a triple jersey toss at the home opener and the crowd booed the guy they signed to a 7 year extension (that doesn't kick in until next year) last month.

The crowd booed basically everything in the third period. It was awesome (for Buffalo)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

HookShot posted:

Vancouvers problem is that elite goaltending was the only reason this wasn’t happening last year. It’s not like Tyler Myers and OEL being loving pylons is a new thing. Only before they had too-tier goaltending to hide the fact that the entire defense is a dumpster fire. Demko is regressing slightly and it’s showing all of the flaws that were always there, he just kept the team out of trouble before.

Edit: I just realized I don’t know if Tyler Myers is a d-man. He might not be but he stays in the example.

Tyler Myers is actually a giraffe

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sabres beat the Red Wings 8-3 (lmao) and Tage Thompson was a man possessed

https://twitter.com/sabresplays/status/1587256009944453124?s=46&t=GbCnL1iiH2pNOzL5Y0MAyg

Tage Hat Trick

Edit: right at the end of this clip, the angle let’s you see Dahlin’s reaction to the goal and it’s incredible.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/thechargingbuf/status/1587260786417729537?s=46&t=uA6agwa_ixZ97xluL7bs5Q

Close up of Dahlin’s reaction lol

https://twitter.com/sabresstats/status/1587272002657820673?s=46&t=uA6agwa_ixZ97xluL7bs5Q

:letsgo: