Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Twin Cinema posted:

Regular season doesn't really matter for the Leafs. Other than seeing Matthews hit 50-in-50 again.

Leafs fans are the new Caps fans

you wish anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

The point he’s making is that for half the season last year the Leafs did have worse goaltending than Murray, like significantly and notably, and they ended up with 115 points. Every fan of a team with bad goaltending thinks their goalie was the worst in the league, but from January onward the Leafs had everyone beat.

idk my goaltender was dogshit garbage and then your team went and signed him so

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

Wanna guess who had the much better playoff series between Samsonov and Campbell?

Samsonov was decent in the playoffs this year, yes, but it helped that Florida forgot to have a PP.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Not a great start for our olds.

https://twitter.com/CapitalsPR/status/1577823537213198339?t=IA1jVQKcS9wVeSevwghPtA&s=19

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

Last night was the full dress rehearsal for the Caps and I liked what I saw, especially from Keumper. Knock on wood Oshie is ok, but let’s be real, the odds of him making it through an entire season without something happening was always going to be slim. We’re still going to be a bubble team but if Keumper stands tall, we’ll be on the inside looking out for most of the season.

Strome and Brown are looking really good in their roles too. It's kind of why I'm not super worried about Osh.

Plus if he hosed up his shoulder at least that means McMichael can slot in somewhere because otherwise he's not going to be anything other than their extra roster forward.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

pseudodragon posted:

It's Connor McDavid, it doesn't matter who the defender is, he's going to embarrass them at some point. Doesn't matter how good someone is at defence, McDavid is better at the rush than anyone is at stopping it so it's going to happen eventually.

If he's giving stuff like that up to randos, that's a problem.

McDavid with a head of steam off the rush like the Ovie PP shot. You can't judge a goalie/defence based on how dumb they look on the play.

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1532517038928830473

I'm sure he has or will clown Cale at some point but still.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Pretty excited to see if Brown and Strome can also be this good in the regular season.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

gently caress Ian Cole

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

RIP another sexy Cap

https://twitter.com/Tarik_ElBashir/status/1579833576581115904

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Lavy giving McMichael the Vrana treatment again this year.

https://twitter.com/Tarik_ElBashir/status/1579851226879250433

Speaking of V, I hope he stays healthy this year. Dude is so underrated.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Cocaine Bear posted:

Paid about 130 for 4 beers in a box at a leafs game after all the gratuities and add ons. It was a work thing so it was expensed but still felt real cool dropping a bill and a half on like 6 bucks worth of beer.

Between COVID and prices I am struggling to think of when I'll next attend an NHL game in person. Maybe in like 5 years when my kid is old enough?

At least the animated board ads also make watching on TV less pleasant too, so there's some parity.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

I not only never touch stadium concessions but also dehydrate myself for a couple hours before game time, so as not to have to choose between missing game action going to piss or waiting in line and elbowing through huge crowds to do it during intermission.

That probably tells you pretty much all you need to know about my personality

Probably the strongest argument for the expensive all-inclusive ticket packages they sell in D.C. is a separate pisser for people with money.

For me it was that or miss the last minute of the period to beat the rush to the urinal.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Despite being Team Putin, the Caps actually have more Swedes than Ruskies and that's even after losing Jonsson Fjällby to Winnipeg.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

T-Bone posted:

the Bergfors/Larsson/Tedenby trio of draft picks sums up Swedish contribution to Devils franchise history. Bratt is a revelation

(with all apologies to Tommy Albelin)

God those were some dark years.

I mean, the Devils are still bad, but Jack Hughes is at least fun to watch.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

John Carlson sucks. The Caps PP sucks.

Hockey... is good??

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

:yeah:

Not going to take too much from one game but Fehervary-Carlson sucked as a pair last year and they stank tonight. Hopefully that changes.

I thought Fehervary was at least busting his rear end. Carlson's effort on that Krejci goal was atrocious. (And typical for him.)

https://twitter.com/SpokedZ/status/1580370036518420480

On the plus side, Orlov-Jensen pairing was quite good and that Strome-Mantha-Protas line was on fire.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Misanthrope posted:

:laugh:

At first I thought Carlson was the last man back who got beat by a quick touch pass and I thought you were being a little unfair on him... then I saw he was the trailer... dude took maybe 2 strides after the blueline so not quite a controller disconnected moment, but close.

There was a better angle on the broadcast that showed how crossed up he got by the one-touch pass and how disengaged from the follow-up. Also consider that he lost the foot race to David loving Krejci.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

Samsonov let in a brutal goal early, but actually settled down and other than his puck handling looked sharper down the stretch. Murray’s gonna have to hope he can turn it around against the Sens.

Helps that the Caps had like 20 shots, mostly from the outside.

A new weird thing about the board ads: seeing ads for Ledo Pizza and Caps youth hockey camps on the Toronto boards.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

It’s two games back to back and they’ve had bad bounces not go there way. They clearly have problems, Carlson and the Power Play being the obvious, age another, but it’s not dogshit garbage tier.

Trying not to panic yet.

Both goalies have looked good. They have gotten goals (pretty much exclusively) from their depth. The old man line looked poo poo last night. And the top line has not been dangerous like a top line should be.

Hopefully they can sort things out against the Habs.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

That's a big yikes.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Cocaine Bear posted:

We all enjoy watching bad people play a child's game. Maybe let's not think about it too much.

there's no ethical sports watching under capitalism

I will say the maxim "never meet your heroes" has changed to "never meet your heroes or read about them or learn how they treat people or what they do on their own time or believe" in my lifetime. Maybe that's just getting older.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Caps finally get a win against a bottom-feeder! And then have four games in a row against teams that are currently winless.

I genuinely wonder if they booted Kuzy off PP1 as punishment for being garbage or if they're really just interested in getting different looks after whiffing against Boston and Toronto.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Conor Sheary might be the best Caps forward right now.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

The real question... how will Lavy avoid playing McMichael if Kuzy gets suspended a couple games?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Come on down Connor McM!

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1582419802798575616

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

fawning deference posted:

They also badly need somebody on the team who has won anything at all. Palat is fine, I think the problem is using as their first line left winger. Palat should be on the third line and the top six should have actual scoring talent on it in his place.

Maybe? Devils badly need one more top six winger to fill Hughes' left wing spot, and then you can have

Good player-Hughes-Holtz
Sharangovich-Hischier-Bratt
Palat-Mercer-Tatar (off wing?)
Wood-Haula-Bastian

That looks better

I hear Patrick Kane is available.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/FlaPanthers/status/1582744871286161408

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1582745247980740608

They're probably still gonna beat the flyers but wooooooof that's a rough defensive crew without him

I had to go back and look and I was surprised that Ekblad has ~4 seasons where he wasn't catastrophically injured because as someone who doesn't follow the Cats closely, it seems like he spends more time hurt than not.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

To continue with injury news Connor Brown is out long term with a lower body injury. Looked like a knee injury, wouldn’t be surprised if it was the ol’ ACL.

Well all the kids are getting a shot I guess with Kuzy out.

https://twitter.com/Tarik_ElBashir/status/1582751775345344512

lol at 1C Lars Eller in TYOOL 2022

e: double lol at Orlov now having to carry Carlson's lazy rear end

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

shyduck posted:

Caps might be my favorite one

Yeah I'm all for the Screaming Eagle coming back. Was actually looking for a used one at some point, but I wear these things so seldom since COVID made going to games stupid.

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/1583111185440067584

The glittery "foil" accents are kind of funny though.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/TBLightning/status/1583118897158311936

oh my gently caress the numbers are jagged that is so good I can't believe it

good lord that is hideous

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

The Caps are dogshit garbage, but at least it was an entertaining game with HITZ.

His SV% doesn't really reflect it, but Darcy Kuemper is wasted on this team. Look at this poo poo. Samsonov doesn't make that save.

https://twitter.com/ByMattWeyrich/status/1583270599132004352

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

mennoknight posted:

Sabres looked great last night, super fun team to watch. The Flames looked like an outhouse after I eat falafel

now just imagining what kind of nightmare falafel you get in Alberta that gives you the shits

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

mennoknight posted:

I live in Ottawa and yes, deep fried fiber balls make me poo poo

Fiber should soften hard shits or firm up watery diarrhea blasts. In other words, it makes me poo poo you like a champion. That seems incongruous with the Calgary Flames.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Caps with a scrappy win, but they did not look especially good outside the third. Carlson is still the most obvious boat-anchor...

https://twitter.com/LAKings/status/1583991018591920131

...but I wonder when people are going to start noticing that Ovechkin has been all but invisible.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Lavy loving hates young skill guys, I do not understand it

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1584571372667568129

Just send McMichael back to the AHL already. Let the dude play somewhere.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mike Works posted:

It’s funny that the most effective way to protest against an owner is to buy a jersey then buy a ticket and give away your jersey and risk getting banned from the arena.

I've never done it, but if I did it would be with a cheap online knock-off.

HookShot posted:

Seriously this team is like 90 years old play the few young guys you have.

I mean, they're playing Protas because he's a Big Body (tm), but he has done *checks notes* nothing with his 15 shifts a game. Malenstyn is just a head-scratcher. Dude peaked in the WHL.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I was expecting to be more impressed with the Devils.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

T-Bone posted:

That game was every Devils loss this season. Outshoot your opponent 2-1 and lose because of goaltending and lack of finish.

The Caps aren't gonna make the playoffs playing like that though. Could have easily been 3-0 Devils after the first.

Yeah the Caps just got some good bounces and had good finishing like on the Sheary snipe. They are old and slow and will finish close to .500 I bet.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

xzzy posted:

I still think his best moment is chopping John Scott in the foot to try and avoid a fight.

For which he received a 3-game suspension!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Sean Avery predicted all dis...

that's wild. I think Jarry is a pretty good goalie but that's pretty clearly Canada's worst-ever goalie duo/trio. I think the US might be favored against something like:

F: Marner-McDavid-Stamkos
Huberdeau-Sid-MacKinnon
Marchand-O’Reilly-Stone
Duchene-Kadri-Point
ex: Scheifele? Reinhart? Thomas? Kyrou? Bedard? Tavares?

D: Toews-Makar
Rielly-Ekblad
Theodore-Pietrangelo
ex: Letang, Weegar, Hamilton? Doughty?

G: Jarry
Kuemper
Binnington

i'm sure I'm forgetting someone. I think the US's roster is better than that.

Wilson, Tom