Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 24: The Cloudvents :siren:

Look, boss, I know that the mission has been in questionable status up until this point, but trust us, we've got this one in the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Man I do not know how the game wants me to feel about these umbra things. They were a boss and now just seem to exist to get clowned on in a cutscene and send Sagi and company off to things betwixt.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Kibayasu posted:

Man I do not know how the game wants me to feel about these umbra things. They were a boss and now just seem to exist to get clowned on in a cutscene and send Sagi and company off to things betwixt.

I think this was supposed to be some sort of switch where at first they were BIG SCARY MONSTERS or at least EVIL PEOPLE TURNING INTO MONSTERS but now it just happens to anybody who gets emotionally busted bad enough. We're probably going to find out they're caused somehow by promachination and the process can be reversed if only all the machina are destroyed, maybe even end up riding one in a final battle sometime down the road.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Casually dropping an 7-attack-card combo with Milly with nary a comment? That was quite a string to arrange, and only her 1+ and 2+ cards let her do it…

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 25: Cujam, the Ruler's Demesne :siren:

I'm beginning to think the game might be drawing some parallels between this "dream world" and the rest of the game, but I just can't put my finger on how...

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
Anybody else getting some Kingdom Hearts vibes from Wiseman?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

fatsleepycat posted:

Anybody else getting some Kingdom Hearts vibes from Wiseman?

Was just coming here to say "this person looks like a nebula covered in armor and talks like the first draft of a Kingdom Hearts villain, and your first instinct is to kick down their down and call them out to their face?" Dream Party also shares one brain cell, it turns out.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 26: The Recap :siren:

Well it took them like 15 hours but we're finally getting around to the whole "So uh...you did play Lost Wings, right?" question.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I mean there’s gotta be lots of Malpercio bits left over. The Ankle of Malpercio, the Appendix of Malpercio…

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

Wait, didn't original game say it was a war between the humans and the Gods caused by human greed, and decidedly not a war amongst the Gods themselves like we hear here? Has the game captured the fundamental essence of historical revisionism now or am I misremembering? :psyduck:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ancient magical orders battling ancient gods really need to stop randomly scattering unimaginably powerful pieces around without a second thought of where they might end up.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Kibayasu posted:

Ancient magical orders battling ancient gods really need to stop randomly scattering unimaginably powerful pieces around without a second thought of where they might end up.

just imagine I replaced 'wizards' with 'ancient magical orders battling ancient gods'

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 27: Pherkad, the Ancient Capital :siren:

Sagi's journey takes us to Sadal Suud, where we hear whispers of a much cooler and more competent party. We'll have to keep an eye out for them and report them to the proper authorities if we happen to spot them!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I like that the machina arma is just sitting around in the Cloudvents, hoping that you'll come back and willingly submit yourself to getting waxed by it. Laziness in the absence of actual orders is an under-discussed part of war.

Also, I'm trying to determine if Verus knows that Duhr actually still exists, or if he's name-dropping it the way someone might talk about, I dunno, Camelot today.

E: meant for episode 26, didn't see 27 get posted before I hit Post.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
A bit surprised you brought up both Chronic Fatigue's effect and the Wanted Poster magnus set without mentioning that the posters also reduce the max HP of the depicted characters while held, though thankfully those can just be discarded normally. On that note, if you don't want to wait around for the Fatigue to dissipate, you can also get rid of it by using it as a mixing ingredient or feeding it to Pac-Man! :eng101:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So brief scheduling note, I'm on vacation starting next week until the end of the month, and unfortunately between getting things ready on my end to go on this trip and having to make time for recording, etc, it just didn't work out. We're going to take a couple weeks off and be back at the beginning of February. Sorry, folks! :shobon:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Plenty of time to get rid of that fatigue magnus then. Have fun!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So uh, I was going to record more today after the direct and then Nintendo went and announced an HD remake of Lost Wings and Origins coming out this summer and...to be honest, I'm kinda tempted to just wait for that to continue? We're just shy of the halfway point right now (the end of Sadal Suud is the end of Disc 1) so there's still a healthy chunk of the game to go. I dunno, is anyone gonna be majorly offended if we put things on hold for a while? I never thought these games would ever see the light of day again tbh, so we might as well take advantage, right?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It would make sense, it's not that far away.

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!
Came here after seeing the HD remaster to see if anyone else was positively freaking out about it. I'd be fine with it going on hold, it seems that they'll add small QoL updates, but so far the Bandai site says the voice is only Japanese right now, which I really hope isn't the end all truth.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah signs are pointing towards the remaster being JP voices only (cowards!!) so I vote to just continue with the GC version.

Specifically:

https://youtu.be/yo-C2MTUhCQ?t=2078 <- Japanese trailer has JP voices (and actual game audio) for the shown gameplay sequences
https://youtu.be/u2TQ-Obts7s?t=3737 <- English trailer just has overdubbed music for those sections.

https://www.bandainamcoent.com/news/baten-kaitos-i-and-ii-hd-remaster-q-and-a only lists Japanese VO, too.

Namco also removed the English VO in the Katamari remaster so this sounds pretty plausible to me...

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 9, 2023

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Oh, that sounds like a major annoyance.

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yeah signs are pointing towards the remaster being JP voices only (cowards!!) so I vote to just continue with the GC version.

How am I meant to play Baten Kaitos in HD at an affordable price in these conditions? It's annoying, so looks like I'm not buying the remaster. In that case, continue with the GC version.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I can understand why they might not want to reuse the original's VA but Origins' is quite good? At the very minimum I don't see why they wouldn't keep the one that doesn't sound like a tin can, but I guess that wouldn't be ~consistent~ or whatever in which case go rerecord the VA for Lost Wings! When are they literally ever going to touch these games again, might as well fix that while we're here. I mean, they dubbed the Patty stuff for Vesperia HD, so it's not unprecedented.

In any case if Origins HD won't have English VA we carry on. Barring a disaster this weekend, we head for Nunki Valley on Monday.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've been meaning to post that I do like the VO in this game quite a bit, especially Milly's performance. And I'm kind of fond of the original BK's voice work, warts and all. I'd agree to keep rolling with the GameCube version but I am hype for people to have a chance to play these weird good games again.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think I'd be happy to see this continue with the English VA. I always figured re-using the original voice lines is just some potential contract dispute that isn't worth someone's money to work out, unfortunately. And honestly these kinds of games always seem to look better slightly fuzzy.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 28: Cebalrai, the Farming Hamlet :siren:

Rodolfo isn't home, so the gang takes the discussion to him in the most tactful and respectful way that Sagi knows.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Instead of beating up Rudolfo at his place later, why not beat him up as he's waddling around with a big bag of money

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 29: Lord Rodolfo's Estate :siren:

Having decided to go with a Plan A of "violence", Sagi and friends beat up one group of soldiers before deciding that violence is too hard and maybe we should just sneak around the manor instead.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 30: Nunki Valley :siren:

Credit to the empire's engineering team, those boys work *fast* when it comes time for a dramatic confrontation.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm an episode behind yet again, but I like Rodolfo's "car dealership owner" vibe. Really fits the small, backwater character of Sadal Suud.

Also the attendant doing air squats while he and his co-workers are locked up is a great example of the hosed up NPC interactions that this game/series loves. Like why put that guy there at all?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rodolfo was a heck of a Texan in his younger days.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 31: Zaurak Keep :siren:

Seph has decided that it's time to get serious in this fight against Wiseman, and heads to the flesh caverns to ask ~them~ for help. Surely, nothing can go wrong with this plan.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Has there ever been a "good" (D&D alignment, not quality) flesh cavern? Jabu-Jabu's Belly I guess?

E: a little (!) icon appeared above the skeleton in the middle of the skeleton party, was that anything?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 28, 2023

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Has there ever been a "good" (D&D alignment, not quality) flesh cavern? Jabu-Jabu's Belly I guess?

SaGa 2 / Final Fantasy Legend 2 has you shrink down to fight off shrunken monsters inside Ki's body

Prowler
May 24, 2004

The flashback recap immediately before the--uh, let's call it a live flashback--shows the party about to get blasted by Wiseman's power. Yet, they walk out the door like they get shot by a depression canon or something, then were told "get out, you're all worthless." There's not even a yada yada "boy, we barely survived fighting him" or "whew, we barely escaped." Nope, just casually walking out the door as though they were politely asked to leave.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 32: Another Mission Accomplished :siren:

It doesn't feel like a victory but we did technically accomplish the thing that Verus sent us here to do, and even escaped certain death yet again, so that counts as a win in Sagi's book.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sagi is losing so badly that I'm thinking, is promachination really that bad? Maybe he's just making things worse (What!? No! Never.)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
At this point I have to wonder if Verus is just keeping Sagi employed for some sort of tax break, he doesn't seem to care about the quality of Sagi's work.

Also I still love that Giacamo sends you hate mail in between fights lol. Twitter started up in the same year that this game came out and yet the devs really nailed that detail :v:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 33: The Holoholo Jungle :siren:

We kick off Disc 2 with a bang, as Sagi and the gang make a more...eventful entrance into Anuenue than they probably hoped to.

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 18, 2023