Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I just finished as well. The sense of impending doom throughout the novel was very well done. Evan though I was expecting Jon to die at a million different points throughout the novel, when he actually did it was heartbreaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Quite the ending, although not what I expected I thought it was being set up for a collision with Vibeke in a speeding truck and Jon in a parked car. On the plus side, while Jon didn't get a birthday cake, at least he got to smoke a cigarette. Overall an interesting little book.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I've been enjoying reading your thoughts on Love as you have been posting them here or on the discord, but we are coming to the time to consider what to read in January! I am considering doing something a little different, making January a free for all book review month. Everyone read and post about one book you received for Christmas or bought for yourself as a gift or just read and really liked. This will serve two purposes--many of us are likely wanting to dig into recently received books and not wanting to take time away for reading a group effort, but second, it could generate ideas for future BotMs!

For February, let's plan to read newly in the public domain Virginia Woolf's Orlando.

Hope this plan meets with your approval, but I am happy to reconsider should you post better ideas here.

Merry Christmas Book Clubbers!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

That sounds like good motivation to read a physical book. I'm all for it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah I got some good stuff from the secret santa, this will be good motivation to read some.
I should finish Terror tonight (unless I go into a turkey coma) and then have plenty of time to get through Love before the 1st

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i will be seeing this thread again in february :grin:

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
For lack of any gift books, I'm going to go with something from my to-read pile: Ada, or Ardor by Vladimir Nabokov. If nothing else, I expect a surfeit of beautiful language to drop in the thread.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Managed to finish Rocannons world right under the wire. It was quite good should probably read the lathe of heaven next.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I just finished Planet of Assholes Exile, on to City of Illusions.

The Shelved By Genre podcast is doing the Earthsea books in the new year, I’ll probably read along with them, though I’m more inclined towards the Hainish stuff.

corker2k
Feb 22, 2013

I just burned through the trilogy (thanks to the current lack of decent movies on international flights). All of them were thought provoking in different ways; think City of Illusions was my fave overall.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Made it just in time. Oof, what an anxiety inducing story, I really liked it despite the pit in my stomach the entire time.

For January I'll be reading

I got it from the TBB secret santa so it fits that. I've been trying to read more non fiction (and specifically theory) so looking forward to it

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

For January we will do book report month. Please provide a review of a book you received from your Secret Santa, another gifter, or picked up and read this month. And as suggested on discord, we will do a contest! The best reviews of books that have not been used as a BotM for at least the last 5 years will be compiled for a poll for the book the thread will read in March. And there will be an avatar change or gang tag in it for the winner...

For February we will read Orlando by Virginia Woolf, newly in the public domain.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I will read Einstein on Humanism. I got it in last year's secret Santa, it's nice and small, and I always need more nonfiction in my life.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Derp sent me The Loser, so that will be my book for this month.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I will be reading White Noise by Don DeLillo. Starting...now in fact!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bilirubin posted:

I will be reading White Noise by Don DeLillo. Starting...now in fact!

:yeshaha:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Its starting out super funny in an ironic, distant way that would appeal to goondom at large I suspect. The discussion with the main character's son over the rain was hilarious

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 3, 2024

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bilirubin posted:

Its starting out super funny in an ironic, distant way that would appeal to goondom at large I suspect. The discussion with the main character's son over the rain was hilarious

The rain discussion and The Most Photographed Barn in America are both outstanding

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Opopanax posted:

The rain discussion and The Most Photographed Barn in America are both outstanding

we saw the signs, we can never see the barn

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I really thought I would hate White Noise, but I ended up loving it when I read it. It perfectly captures this ennui and feeling of listless uselessness of modern life

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have a hard time committing to "favourites" in life, but White Noise is my favorite book, no question. I read it every few years, and I buy it at least once a year for someone (the joke here is I got it for Bilirubin for Secret Santa, hence my glee).
Now I'm going to have to reread it again, maybe after Zizek is done frying my brain

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

For January, I'm coming back to a book I picked up a couple years ago and then put down and forgot for unknown reasons. Not because it wasn't good, I liked what I read a lot.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

I’ve started Ada, or Ardor by Vladimir Nabokov, and I think there’s going to be way too much to talk about in this book, so I’ll parcel things out instead of dropping everything into a huge post at the end. I’m not going to spoiler any of this because it’s just past history that Nabokov lays out before starting on the narrative. I guess there’s a spoiler that the titular Ana is dead by the time you’re reading the novel, but since it’s set in the 1800s that’s hardly a surprise.

The first sentence of the novel is a verbatim quote of the famous opening of Anna Karenina (“All happy families are more or less dissimilar; all unhappy ones are more or less alike ....”), which is the kind of thing you need to be Nabokov to get away with. The second sentence says to ignore the first sentence (“That pronouncement has little if any relation to the story to be unfolded now ....”). He seems to be playing with the tendency of Russian authors to have confusing messes of characters by doing things like this:

quote:

On April 23, 1869, in drizzly and warm, gauzy and green Kaluga, Aqua, aged twenty-five and afflicted with her usual vernal migraine, married Walter D. Veen, a Manhattan banker of ancient Anglo-Irish ancestry who had long conducted, and was soon to resume intermittently, a passionate affair with Marina. The latter, some time in 1871, married her first lover’s first cousin, also Walter D. Veen, a quite as opulent, but much duller, chap.

This is the explanation of how to keep them apart:

quote:

The “D” in the name of Aqua’s husband stood for Demon (a form of Demian or Dementius), and thus was he called by his kin. In society he was generally known as Raven Veen or simply Dark Walter to distinguish him from Marina’s husband, husband, Durak Walter or simply Red Veen.

Immediately after that, he refers to the second Walter D. Veen as Daniel Veen without explanation, and doesn’t appear to ever actually refer to him as Durak Walter or Red Veen.

The novel jumps from the family history to two children – Van (the son of Demon and Aqua, or maybe not, since Aqua sometimes thought he was Marina's son, although she was also insane) and Ana (the supposed daughter of Daniel and Marina, although her father was really Demon) – discovering and discussing newspaper articles and pictures. Which is a common enough framing device, except that there are occasional notations in the novel from Ada (i.e., “Hue or who? Awkward. Reword! (marginal note in Ada Veen’s late hand)."). I suspect the author might be Van, but I’m not sure, and it might be like Pale Fire where there isn’t even a certain answer.

After recounting some family history for a few chapters, it completely shifts style to a more conventional story where Van and Ana first meet, which is where I’ll pick up next.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
First Santa gift book down. Alfred Bester’s The Demolished Man.

Not as good as The Stars My Destination, but still a whirlwind of a story. There are two things that I loved about both Bester books I’ve read. The first is the way he just drops us into fully realized worlds and trusts us to follow along as he goes. He trusts the reader to keep up and I appreciate that. The second is that he writes with a purpose. He has some core themes and ideas to explore and he wants to get to them. The plot drives relentlessly forward.

The middle of this book is the peak. The back and forth of the Rough and Slick is fantastic.

I’d love to see another book set in this world. Specifically the dystopia about the peeper run society.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
So I am reading The Loser and I’m only about 30 pages in, but I’m enjoying it so far. It takes concentration to read because it’s very dense. It reminds me somewhat of Ducks, Newburyport in that you’re essentially reading someone’s stream of consciousness. Interested to see where things go.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Einstein on Humanism is, so far, proof that the more things change, the more they stay the same. The pieces here were written in the 1930s and 1940s but they don't feel old because they're still quite relevant.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Well, I finished The Loser.

I am not sure I completely get it. Basically, there are three characters who all seem like terrible people. At certain points I was starting to feel sorry for one or another of them, but then immediately reminded of how terrible they were. It felt like that was sorta the point.It was an interesting read, but I'm not sure I got everything I was supposed to out of it. Maybe Bernhard just isn't for me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Opopanax posted:

Made it just in time. Oof, what an anxiety inducing story, I really liked it despite the pit in my stomach the entire time.

For January I'll be reading

I got it from the TBB secret santa so it fits that. I've been trying to read more non fiction (and specifically theory) so looking forward to it

Cripes, that was challenging. It's been a long time since I've read this kind of book, and it was interesting but definitely a struggle. At times I could physically feel the words going in and just sliding right off my brain (I think this is how my dogs must feel when I'm trying to explain anything to them).
Definitely some interesting stuff here, though there were some eyebrow raising moments towards the end ( Zizek has some rather interesting thoughts on sex, gender, and identity politics that I didn't agree with). I genuinely don't think I'm smart enough to objectivly rate it, but I'm proud to have finished it.
My wife has a minor in philosophy so I'm going to give this to her after and have her explain it to me, so that's a nice bonus.
Now I'm going to go read something funny/trashy to settle my brain.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

I'm halfway through Mammoth, by Chris Flynn, one of my TBBSS books. It's interesting and also kind of annoying - will post my full thoughts once I've finished it.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

On Humanism was both a great collection of short essays and kinda painful because of the writings about Judaism and Israel. It's great to know that Einstein felt deeply about things because I, and others, probably just know his scientific discoveries. He wanted to find a way to work with Palestinians on making a multi-ethnic country, explicitly not a Jewish one alone.

I think the person who gave this to me last year said it was important to them. I can understand that.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Another Ada, or Ardor update. I can't say that I'd recommend this as a book of the month, but I might as well drop some things I found interesting in the thread anyway.

After all the Russian geneology, Nabokov reveals that it’s an alternative-history novel:

quote:

Ved’ (“it is, isn’t it”) sidesplitting to imagine that “Russia,” instead of being a quaint synonym of Estoty, the American province extending from the Arctic no-longer-vicious Circle to the United States proper, was on Terra the name of a country, transferred as if by some sleight of land across the ha-ha of a doubled ocean to the opposite hemisphere where it sprawled over all of today’s Tartary, from Kurland to the Kuriles!

And it’s also a parallel-universe novel:

quote:

Our enchanters, our demons, are noble iridescent creatures with translucent talons and mightily beating wings; but in the eighteen-sixties the New Believers urged one to imagine a sphere where our splendid friends had been utterly degraded, had be come nothing but vicious monsters, disgusting devils, with the black scrota of carnivora and the fangs of serpents, revilers and tormentors of female souls; while on the opposite side of the cosmic lane a rainbow mist of angelic spirits, inhabitants of sweet Terra, restored all the stalest but still potent myths of old creeds, with rearrangement for melodeon of all the cacophonies of all the divinities and divines ever spawned in the marshes of this our sufficient world.

With a bit of science fiction:

quote:

[S]he felt tickled at the thought that she, poor Aqua, had accidentally hit upon such a simple method of recording and transmitting speech, while technologists (the so-called Eggheads) all over the world were trying to make publicly utile and commercially rewarding the extremely elaborate and still very expensive hydrodynamic telephones and other miserable gadgets that were to replace those that had gone k chertyam sobach’im (Russian “to the devil”) with the banning of an unmentionable “lammer.”

And even some magic (or perhaps technology named as magic, I have yet to discover):

quote:

Rolled up in its case was an old “jikker” or skimmer, a blue magic rug with Arabian designs, faded but still enchanting, which Uncle Daniel’s father had used in his boyhood and later flown when drunk. Because of the many collisions, collapses and other accidents, especially numerous in sunset skies over idyllic fields, jikkers were banned by the air patrol; but four years later Van who loved that sport bribed a local mechanic to clean the thing, reload its hawking-tubes, and generally bring it back into magic order and many a summer day would they spend, his Ada and he, hanging over grove and river or gliding at a safe ten-foot altitude above surfaces of roads or roofs. How comic the wobbling, ditch-diving cyclist, how weird the arm-flailing and slipping chimney sweep!

The strange this is, none of this seems to matter to the story at all. You might here "teenagers find a magic carpet in an attic" and have a certain expectation, but it'd be wrong, because after he sets out all of this, it turns into a story of under-age incest (oh so much under-age incest). The book could have been set in a late-1800s English countryside and it would have progressed the same. It’s like if Jane Austen had decided to write a fantasy story where every once in a while a dragon flew overhead but otherwise had no impact.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
This one is maybe not entirely fitting since it is just a rough draft, but our good old forums poster Bulletsponge13 has been absolutely spoiling us with his memoirs from Iraq.

The man writes in a way that feels more like painting masterpieces that putting letters on a page.

Since the forums probably won't let me upload about 130mb of pdf, I'll have to settle for a link to his thread.

If any of you feel like being swept away to the most immersive description of what it is like to a US soldier in Iraq, you owe it to yourselves to click this link.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002076&pagenumber=1

If a book title is necessary in order to count, you have two title options.

Death Wears Duckie Pajamas.
Or
Often kind, but mostly stupid.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Book report time!

I finished The Shepherd's Crown as the culmination of my year+ long project to read through all of Pratchett's Discworld novels. I'm conflicted a bit because it's not a very good book on its own merits, but it also couldn't have been because Pratchett never got to actually finish it. I was expecting this to be deeply depressing but it was instead only bittersweet at worst, because it was also a labor of love of the man by the people who put it together on the strength that it is also is just a better ending point for the series than Raising Steam was.

My actually controversial opinion is that Making Money was probably the last book in the series that really felt like the old books. Unseen Academicals was fine but just didn't grab me, partly because I think the dynamic between the frumpy but solid character and the flighty but beautiful one was done better in Maskerade, and I was very sad that Agnes Nitt vanished as a character after that one. It had one thing that would come to bother me in the next two mainline books though, a strange and driving insistence that having a useful skill was the foundation of worth and that worth was the biggest thing to strive for. The entire time I could only think "and what if Mr Nutt wasn't miraculously perfect at everything he put his hands to? or "what if goblins really weren't instantly perfect at everything to do with railroads and klax towers, what if they were just okay at them and their salvation demanded tremendous expenditures to bring them back from where the Disc had put them and not tremendous profit from exploiting them as labor?" Would they deserve the mistreatment and oppression then? Would they ever have been offered a place at the table? It felt like a real detachment from the more humanistic tone of earlier books.

Snuff was pretty good overall but should've ended at the bonfire, if not a bit before that. Raising Steam felt like an endless stream of monologues with the actual established motivations and peculiarities of characters changing as needed to fit them, ones that would always start with a declaration of who they are. Everybody was walking around with a soap box and waiting for their turn to extoll the virtues of the coming technocratic meritocracy, contrasted with cartoonishly evil villains. It's why I remember these books as the saddest for me, because it was after he found out he would never be able to finish what he had in mind so I think he wanted to fit all the important arcs in.

I guess I don't have much to say about The Shepherd's Crown specifically, both because it was what it was and because in addition to being a book it also represented my completing the whole canon and my beginning point for seriously thinking about it as a whole. Pratchett remains my favorite author, tied with Le Guin. His humor and his characters and his worlds are alive, deep, and deeply funny in a way nobody else could match. Guards! Guards! is the book I've probably recommended to the most people, because it's emblematic of his ability to make something real, touching, subversive, and universal with his characters and plots that are firmly grounded and funny even as high fantasy is going on the background.

I've moved on to Towing Jehova, a book about God dying and his 2 mile long corpse dropping into the middle of the Atlantic, and the efforts to quietly give him a respectful burial amid the sort of geopolitical and cultural issues you'd expect to come from such emphatic proof of the death of God, which tauntingly enough also constitutes the proof of God's existence (past tense). Also, the down to earth logistics of actually moving something like that and keeping it from being too eaten up by predators and keeping it secret. I'm not far in but so far I get the impression that Morrow wanted to both write a book with lots of details about what it's like to live on and crew a supertanker, while also dealing with some internal religious conflict he was contemplating, which is a fertile bed for something that is interestingly weird. It's a trilogy apparently and the 3rd book's cover is God's skull eternally staring down at Earth from a low orbit so I hope it's good enough that I can justify seeing exactly where the hell he's going with this.

Because I was asked for a book report format, I have not reviewed or revised this at all, because I am deeply lazy and a bad student, hopefully it all makes sense. If I didn't know there were a bunch of Prachett fans here I probably wouldn't have bothered and kept it all to myself, so I'm glad this thread exists because I've got very few people irl I can talk to about the sort of books I actually find worth reading.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Thanks for that EH5

I have finished with White Noise by Don DiLillo, and although I am not eligible for the contest, I will provide a few not terribly profound or wisely insightful words on it.

Shits good yo. It had a very of the 80s vibe to it IMO, and is in part a critique of our modern consumerist culture, and our tendency to filter our understanding of things through mass media. A major theme of the book is a fear of death, and that takes the protagonist places. There is a large, toxic cloud at one point, which got a lot of play last year when a similar large, toxic cloud took over Palestine, Ohio. It is wonderfully written and at times hilarious, with the exchange between characters funny, sharp, and with a very engaging rhythm for a work of postmodernism. I liked the nod to Catch-22 in a discussion of how data derived from actual emergency events will help perfect future simulations of emergency events.

Highly recommended!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
My jaw is on the floor, as I just finished The Son by Philipp Meyer. I have seen it hailed as the best novel written in the 21st century, so that is quite the reputation to live up to. In short: it lived up to the expectations. A multi-generational epic that takes place during the Comanche raids in the 1850s, the border crisis in WWI and the oil boom of the 21st century, this book reminded me of Blood Meridian at times and East of Eden in size and scope. I will have better, more properly arranged thoughts in the near future.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Reminder folks you have one week to get your reviews in for consideration for March BotM and special prizes!

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet was my second David Mitchell after Cloud Atlas. The plot ended up a bit disorganized and muddy, but the conjuring up of Shogunate Japan and the foreigners who visited it was marvelous. On to Ghostwritten, his first book. The historical mood got me so excited that I played through the entirety of Return of the Obra Dinn once more.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
This month I read This is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone. I found it fascinating and gripping. At its core, it's a love story between two special ops soldiers on opposite sides of a war through time and space.

The real attraction though, is how it's organized, the chapters are extremely short and focused on a small snippet of whatever mission Red or Blue is doing, then finding the letter from the other, and then the letter itself. The chapters alternate from one to the other. Since they are so small, I found myself falling into the Stardew Valley "one more day" syndrome where I ended up reading it longer than I intended almost every time I sat down with it.

There is zero dedicated worldbuilding, zero background on the war itself, and almost no details on any other characters at all, it's amazing how little of the world is revealed in this book and yet how much of it I came out knowing. I loved how this book was organized and put together, the progression of the two main characters' story told through letters that take place linearly, while the characters themselves are bouncing around throughout all of time and space. This description sounds a lot more complicated than it is while you're actually reading it, I didn't feel any sense of "wait what was that?" "when is this happening?" because it really doesn't matter that much, the time and space travel is just a backdrop for the love story.

I would definitely recommend this book, it was an easy read for either short snippets or long sessions, and super enjoyable. Putting it on my list for a re-read at some point in the future for sure.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Inventory by Darren Anderson is sort of a memoir, I guess, but it’s more like an archaeology of trauma. It’s about Northern Ireland and The Troubles, and colonization and occupation. It’s mostly about Anderson’s family, whose stories he tells through objects.

Some of them are real, concrete things, like his aunt’s wedding dress that was thrown around her living room by smirking British solders who smashed her face with a rifle butt as a parting gift a few days before her wedding. Some of them are less concrete, like letters home from his grandfather in the war that he never found, maybe were never written.

Anderson’s a very engaging writer, always wandering off on extended tangents but never losing me along the way. Late in the book when he’s talking about his own teen and college years it did start to feel a little cliche for a bit, maybe that’s just the universality the angry young man story. It comes around at the end for a satisfying conclusion, though. I enjoyed this book thoroughly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Finished Towing Jehovah and now onto Blameless in Abaddon, and I've got to say I'm enjoying these books more than I expected, but most of all I think it's worth saying that before this if you had told me about the theological and academic concept of theodicy (why does God permit evil to exist and flourish) I would've assumed it's nothing more than an easy way to get paid to golf or flick paperclips into the ceiling all day and respond to all entreaties with a big shrug, but in fact it seems to attract a lot of sincere brainiacs who swiftly go on to drive themselves mad with their studies.