Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I’m happy with All Tomorrows OR Steppenwolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Can we do Steppenwolf for March?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I’m gonna start this today, and I will try to post my thoughts on it as I read.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This dinner with his professor friend is giving me social anxiety by proxy

Look dude. Goethe was actually different than you think, you loving IDIOT.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Lawman 0 posted:

This book is really a warning about going goblin mode but also I'm not that smart so maybe I'm not getting it.

I legitimately believe it’s a book about how locking yourself away from the world will only breed contempt and misery while, idk, actually living can be a lot more rewarding. Though I can confused by what exactly Hermine represents in contrast. The need for balance?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Do Suttree (cuz I haven’t read it yet)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

poisonpill posted:

Milo was the only sane person in that whole book

The war profiteer?!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

escape artist posted:

I broke the tie for Communion.

I want you to know it was me. [/Olenna Tyrell]

You’d better read it and not shut up about it then because some of us were excited for Rocannon’s World!!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

There is a short story, called “The Dowry of Angyar” or later renamed “Semley’s Necklace” that actually serves as a prologue to this book too. I’ve read that, but not this, yet, and it’s cool to see Rocannon go from side character in a short story to main character of his own novel.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Sea of Tranquility is fantastic and actually improves on what I consider St John Mandel’s weakness to be (her endings are very lukewarm, run out of momentum things usually)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

First ever Discworld I read, if you’ve never read Discworld this is basically the best book to start with, imo