Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I think I can finish my physical library book first and still finish this before Thanksgiving! I appreciate it being small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

McSpankWich posted:

Turns out there are a ton of social and societal nuances to 1900s Japanese culture that I have no understanding of.

Same.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

That could be pretty neat.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

According to Wikipedia, All Tomorrows is in the process of being expanded and I would rather wait until then to read it.

I don't have Twitter anymore so my vote is here for Steppenwolf.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If it bothers you that much, don't participate.

ETA: Stories are stories no matter the format.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 31, 2023

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Tree Goat posted:

my copy of the pillow book just came in, did we do that yet

This could be fun.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I do, yes.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

This was a lighthearted little read and the first of Wilde's stuff that I've read.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I am working my way through the poem collection but it takes a lot longer to process than prose.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm halfway through The Left Hand of Darkness but I can grab this one when I'm finished.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Bilirubin posted:

And it's on sale for Kindle in at least the US and Canada right now for $3

Link please? All I found was $12

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

drat. Well, it's my birthday this month so maybe I'll make it my gift to myself.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

That sounds like good motivation to read a physical book. I'm all for it.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I will read Einstein on Humanism. I got it in last year's secret Santa, it's nice and small, and I always need more nonfiction in my life.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Einstein on Humanism is, so far, proof that the more things change, the more they stay the same. The pieces here were written in the 1930s and 1940s but they don't feel old because they're still quite relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

On Humanism was both a great collection of short essays and kinda painful because of the writings about Judaism and Israel. It's great to know that Einstein felt deeply about things because I, and others, probably just know his scientific discoveries. He wanted to find a way to work with Palestinians on making a multi-ethnic country, explicitly not a Jewish one alone.

I think the person who gave this to me last year said it was important to them. I can understand that.