Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I read it back when it first came out so I hope that's not cheating, but I really enjoyed it. I especially loved the narrative twist where It seemed like it was taking forever to get to the camp, only to turn out that it happened years ago and we're essentially reading a sequel. That was really clever.
I'm a boring old cishet white guy so I'm sure there was a lot of subtext that didn't fully resonate with me, but I can see this being essential reading for any young queer kids. Very interested to see what Tingle does next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I mean it works here, at least. This is a book about catharsis and empowerment

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

In case anyone missed it, Chuck has another book set to come out in July, more of what sounds like a thriller

quote:

Misha is a jaded scriptwriter who has been working in Hollywood for decades, and has just been nominated for his first Oscar. But when he’s pressured by his producers to kill off a gay character in the upcoming season finale—”for the algorithm”—Misha discovers that it’s not that simple.

As he is haunted by his past, and past mistakes, Misha must risk everything to find a way to do what’s right—before it’s too late.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My library barely has any Leguin, and not this one, and I can't even find the ebook anywhere in Canada. Might have to go digging through the used shops

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ah there we go, and the ebook is $3 right now, nice

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bilirubin posted:

And it's on sale for Kindle in at least the US and Canada right now for $3

Kobo as well

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

And done. That was good, short and sweet, kind of fun as an archetype that clearly influenced a lot of other sci fi.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm planning on starting The Terror next, seems like a good winter one
I also want to finish the year with Heretics of Dune but it would be rude to make other people do that too

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I also got the three book collection and yeah I'll finish it, but probably next year I had too many other things I wanted to get to

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sorry if this isn't cool to ask, but does anyone happen to have an epub of this one? I should have time to read it before the end of the month but I can't actually find a copy anywhere, other than on the kobo store where it's $12 for a 2-3 hour novella which I'm not going to do

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah I got some good stuff from the secret santa, this will be good motivation to read some.
I should finish Terror tonight (unless I go into a turkey coma) and then have plenty of time to get through Love before the 1st

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Made it just in time. Oof, what an anxiety inducing story, I really liked it despite the pit in my stomach the entire time.

For January I'll be reading

I got it from the TBB secret santa so it fits that. I've been trying to read more non fiction (and specifically theory) so looking forward to it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bilirubin posted:

I will be reading White Noise by Don DeLillo. Starting...now in fact!

:yeshaha:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bilirubin posted:

Its starting out super funny in an ironic, distant way that would appeal to goondom at large I suspect. The discussion with the main character's son over the rain was hilarious

The rain discussion and The Most Photographed Barn in America are both outstanding

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have a hard time committing to "favourites" in life, but White Noise is my favorite book, no question. I read it every few years, and I buy it at least once a year for someone (the joke here is I got it for Bilirubin for Secret Santa, hence my glee).
Now I'm going to have to reread it again, maybe after Zizek is done frying my brain

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Opopanax posted:

Made it just in time. Oof, what an anxiety inducing story, I really liked it despite the pit in my stomach the entire time.

For January I'll be reading

I got it from the TBB secret santa so it fits that. I've been trying to read more non fiction (and specifically theory) so looking forward to it

Cripes, that was challenging. It's been a long time since I've read this kind of book, and it was interesting but definitely a struggle. At times I could physically feel the words going in and just sliding right off my brain (I think this is how my dogs must feel when I'm trying to explain anything to them).
Definitely some interesting stuff here, though there were some eyebrow raising moments towards the end ( Zizek has some rather interesting thoughts on sex, gender, and identity politics that I didn't agree with). I genuinely don't think I'm smart enough to objectivly rate it, but I'm proud to have finished it.
My wife has a minor in philosophy so I'm going to give this to her after and have her explain it to me, so that's a nice bonus.
Now I'm going to go read something funny/trashy to settle my brain.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm going to finish the splatter western in reading and then signed out a David Sedaris for a little palette cleanser, but Orlando is next on the ticket

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

What, you don't want to make everyone read a heavy philosophy book? Coward!
I'm enjoying Orlando but I'm finding the style to be a bit of a struggle, I wish Woolf would put a few more breaks in there from one idea to the next

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

No hard feelings, it was pretty dense

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ooh, I was thinking of taking a break from here to catch up on my list, but I really liked Last Exit, Gladstone's other book.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just wrapped up Orlando. Count me in with the "I have no idea what she was trying to say most of the time" crowd, but it was beautifully written. I appreciate how progressive it was for the time, and I like how all the fantastical elements are played perfectly straight, like the gender swap or the nigh-immortality, I like that Wolff doesn't try and give some reason for any of that, it just is.

I'm 26th in line for Time War but I have some stuff I want to catch up on anyways, so I doubt I'll get to it by end of March, but it's definitely on the list.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Proust Malone posted:

Haven’t touched it yet but been hearing v good reviews for North Woods by Daniel Mason

Looks like I already own that so seconded

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm still number 21 in the library queue, I don't think I'm going to make it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I read the first one or two discworlds but there's so many I just get bogged down.
Nothing at the library for a while, but at least I should be able to find this at a used bookstore

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Proust Malone posted:

Haven’t touched it yet but been hearing v good reviews for North Woods by Daniel Mason

I haven't gotten to either of the last two months worth, but if we're looking for ideas I am about 80% of the way through this one and it's great, just really beautifully written

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Finished it last night, it's a real treat. I can't even remember how I wound up with it on my ereader, it must have been on sale at some point and I guess the cover caught my eye. I'm glad I did though, always nice to take a break from all the horror/sci fi I normally stick to.
It is, technically speaking, a book of short stories about a house in the woods of New England from when its built in the 16th century, all the way through to the indeterminate future, but it's just gorgeously written and plays with a few different styles and genres in a really charming way.