Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I’m regretting not reading on kindle so I can copy and paste as I go. Just so many genius passages just out of nowhere he hits you with something (when looking 👀 get the old pictures:

The landscapes, old backdrops, redundant too, recurring unchanged as if they inhabited another medium than the dry pilgrims shored up on them. Blind Mobil in the earths map cast up in an eye link between becoming and done. I am, I am.

Also not a direct quote but the passage of suttree going out and getting shitfaced and waking up hungover was impressionistic in how I felt maybe a little too well what that was like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Arson Daily posted:

I'm about a third of the way through the book and I'm loving it. There was an unintentional bit of comedy when McCarthy is describing the scene when Suttree is on the train and its all dreary and dark and the last line of the paragraph is something to the effect of "and the rain fell into a freshly dug grave" which to me was hilarious because you just got done reading this long paragraph of how depressing everything was and then just as a kind of last kick to the feels he's gotta add "oh yeah and somebody's DEAD TOO!" Idk thats probably just me but it got a laugh.

edit: Harrowgate killing the pig was so visceral and disgusting I had to take a break. Fantastic scene writing though

I just read this scene and visceral. Yes. Literally. I was reminded of the knife fight scenes in the border books where the violence feels the same way. Have you guys ever been knocked out in a fight? Or boxed or whatever? There’s this odd sense of peace in the senselessness of it where once there was this high tension of anxiety and anger and fear then all at once the ground. Full sensual experience of how rough and hot the concrete is. That’s what the violence in these novels elicits for me.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Does zlib work again?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

quote:

How surely are the dead beyond death. Death is what the living carry with them. A state of dread, like some uncanny foretaste of a bitter memory. But the dead do not remember and nothingness is not a curse. Far from it.

I’ve never really connected with any of McCarthy’s characters. The plots aren’t what I’m here for. It’s this these little prose poems tucked in here and there.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have a nominee for the most cormac McCarthy of all paragraphs:

quote:

Suttree went on. A mute and shapeless derelict would stop him with a puffy hand run forth from the cavernous sleeve of an armycoat.
Woadscrivened, a paling heart that holds a name half gone in grime.
Suttree looked into the ruined eyes where they burned in their tunnels of disaster. The lower face hung in sagging wattles like a great scro-tum. Some mumbled word of beggary. To make your heart more desolate.

Ive been thinking about mccarthys use of cafes and lunch counters in his books. I’ve read his books backwards by publish date I think but it makes it stand out to me. You have these characters living on the margins but so much description is of nature you’d think they were out in the wilderness. Especially in the scene where they suttree is loving off in the woods and he comes across the hunter with the crossbow, the hunter is bewildered and says “bro the road is like a mile that way and where does he go? A cafe. The return to dependency on civilization and particularly women’s domestic care. Bro is living on Walden pond and getting his laundry done by his mom.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 21, 2023

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Gene….

Gene…

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

AngusPodgorny posted:

I just reached this quote that I think sums up the novel pretty well: "But there are no absolutes in human misery and things can always get worse, only Suttree didnt say so."

If I was a more literary reader I might be able to make something of the dualism I keep coming across. There's the "cat and countercat" already posted, then "His fetch come up from life's other side like an autoscopic hallucination, Suttree and Antisuttree, hand reaching to the hand," then the section with Vernon and Fernon.

What gets me is how entirely self inflicted Suttree’s misery is. He’s alienated from what is implied is probably a upper middle class family. He deliberately withdraws from opportunity but for what? If it were more autobiographical there would be at least the suffering for his art, but here Suttree suffers for….complete self loathing? Is it that he cares for all these figures of the underworld? That he’d rather be a figure of respect in McAnally than a reprobate in the normie culture. Maybe he’s gay?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

He represents the entrepreneurial spirit in us all.

Also we’re all dumbasses.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

You can’t deny the man is resourceful and innovative. Get him to Palo Alto in a Patagonia vest and he’d walk away with series A funding. He’s disrupting the pay phone industry.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 5, 2023

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Enfys posted:

I'm not too far in, but the part where Blue spends a century writing a letter using the rings of a tree just floored me so much that I had to stop for a bit to process all my feelings.

I have finished yet but I really liked this but too, but then there’s another bit where blue is talking about how nice is it to be so deep undercover that going for a walk in the forest isn’t sus and now I’m thinking how the gently caress are they finding the time away to write a letter in tree rings

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

please feel free to start to provide suggestions for next month's book!

Haven’t touched it yet but been hearing v good reviews for North Woods by Daniel Mason

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

McSpankWich posted:

I kind of felt like since they were presumably raised in a loveless combat based environment from infancy, that any kind of connection other than "go kill that guy" would cause strong feelings, even if not warranted in our reality. It's also possible that their names are lazy for the same reason, why name a weapon with any thought other than something utilitarian (see 007, etc)

In the scene where theyre at the eastern front, and one other place, the regular people are described in a way like they’re just props. You know they’re going to die so intervening to kill them earlier carries no moral weight. What does it matter if they’re scared or not? What does it matter if you ride with the Golden Horde to burn a town? Blue or red to the other then is the to real person in their existence who shared their experience.

I wondered why in a love story they didn’t explore what is meant to be married in deep cover over year while in love with the opposite agent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Recently finished North Woods and yes, the beauty of the prose got me. I was prepared for the plot to be gimmicky but I was sold by the third section. I also (though not a woman) feel like he writes women characters very well.