Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Ben Nevis posted:

Specifically spelling names backward. Alucard has quite a pop culture history of being a hidden vampire. Pratchett also commented on it "Do they really think that spelling their name backwards fools anyone?" There's enough out there that the portait was a dead giveaway. I'm curious as to whether it was for contemporary readers too.

Ah, that is what he meant with that. I did not know that about the name spelling so the Pratchett comment went completely over my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

This has my vote, the rest a bit less as I would prefer botm to stay away from political poo poo.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Snow Country won the poll, so that will be what we roll over to in November. Once I have a few more December ideas I'll get that poll up also.

Odd, I thought it was going to be "The King Must Die" but I am cool with Snow Country. Considering it has been translated from Japanese, I will read it in Dutch as there were a few copies in the regional library and the book club got me back into paper books. Owning books is a burden and I love my local library so there we go.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Ok! We are officially in Snow Country!

(this post will be updated as I have time)

Glad so, the library got me a copy from some far away location and I had to pay a whopping €2,50 as a handling fee.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

AngusPodgorny posted:

Luckily I finished The Passenger just in time to move onto something a little lighter like Snow Country.

I've only started, but it seems very Russian to me, which might just be because I haven't read any other Japanese books to compare to. Everything is cold and covered in snow, and everyone seems disconnected and doomed.

I read a few Japanese books and they always feel like all the characters are disconnected from reality and each other. I like it, it makes me feel normal and accepted.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Finished in a Sunday and that is something else.
The ending puzzles me but so does the beginning and the middle. If it comes to me, I'll let ya'll know.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sometimes a book is just a vibe.

This is indeed such a book and honestly other than 1Q84, this seems to go for most of the Japanese literature I have encountered so far. They seem to be big on moods.

It was a very enjoyable book to read and I thank the SA book club for introducing me to now three books that I would have never read without it.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Chamberk posted:

Snow Country is, definitely, a vibe so far.

Gotta say that the line "the bud of her lips opened and closed smoothly, like a beautiful little circle of leeches" kind of took me aback a bit.

Noticed the same, chalked it up on Japanese weirdness.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

McSpankWich posted:

So is the main character sleeping with and/or having sex with, Komako? I initially just assumed that but some of the conversations they have make me question it entirely.

As I read it, they absolutely do but it is not mentioned at all. More where one scene they are dressed, she is drunk, it is the middle of the night. The next line it is morning, they are under blankets, or he is at least and she is dressed in some random kimono that she got brought in by some servant. It is almost like the lewd bits were cut out by a censor.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Oh and yes, If On a Winter's Night a Traveler will be the Dec 2022 botm.

Waddayaknow, my library also has that one. Weird place, it seems very connected to L-space.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I have been reading a few pages and have a lot of trouble getting into it. Does it get better?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

poisonpill posted:

Honestly I think I’m done with meta- by this point

Same, I put the book down with no intention of picking it back up. Returning it to the library next time I go there and mark me down as a DNF.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

While I throw down On A Winters Night A Traveller not even done with the first chapter, I have no objection to others really liking this book. In fact, it makes it even clearer to me that taste varies enormously and that is a lesson I need to be reminded of once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

This sounds neat. I'll read it after I'm finished with Before the Coffee gets cold which shouldn't take that long, I think.

Hah, it shouldn't and just remember it was written as a play.