Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bonaventure posted:

if anyone is going to get a physical copy, be aware that the version with Carmen Maria Machado as editor presents itself as a straightforward work of scholarship but is actually a "playful" postmodern exercise in not letting readers in on the joke. It has an introduction and footnotes throughout which are entirely fictionalized, denigrate Le Fanu for a crime he didn't commit (because Machado made it up to suit the metanarrative in the introduction/footnotes) and exist to bravely posit the novel idea: "what if Carmilla ... were about lesbians???"

...what?
Why would you do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, I was occasionally interested in this book's comments on reading, but my most consistent reaction was "yeah, one of them heterosexuals definitely wrote this."

Well is it that bad?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

This is pretty chaotic.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I didn't really like if on winters night a traveler.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

This ebook formatting seems a little off on my kobo?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Honestly I probably skimmed like through the first fourth of the book. Then the strike got my attention.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Im gonna go read something else from the list after I finish oil! I think I'll stick to something short.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I am still working on Oil! but so far I'm a little disappointed in it. It's a weird book to read; every few paragraphs I'm like "ok, that's a nice bit of writing" but overall the story just isn't grabbing me. I think I'm waiting for the communist hero to show up and so far it's all just capitalists everywhere.

It almost frankly seems a bit sneering or something. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

This sounds neat. I'll read it after I'm finished with Before the Coffee gets cold which shouldn't take that long, I think.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm up to page 69 (nice) and I like the funny Wolfman ramblings.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

This book is really a warning about going goblin mode but also I'm not that smart so maybe I'm not getting it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ok, I'm almost done with it, but I feel like I need to read it again?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ok, I finished it. I liked it, but I don't think I'm smart enough to fully grasp all the symbolism going on. 🫠

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think some of the symbolism is deliberately vague and inconclusive, especially at the very end. My read is that he hasn't learned and solved every problem he has, he's just wiser than he was at the beginning.

The war against the machines/bourgeois hits hard now.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I actually never read more than a passage of wilde so this is something new for me.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just picked this up today.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hell yeah.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm really enjoying this, it's scratching an itch for me.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I finished the king must die and I thought it was pretty good.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Looking forward to this!!!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Wish my copy would get to the library soon. 🫠

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Picked up Don Quixote and while there is alot of :words: going on its quite good so far. About 100 pages in.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Arson Daily posted:

holy poo poo why didn't someone warn me Don Quixote was so long

Yessss someone else is suffering with me.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Finally started suttree and it's good so far!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Enjoying suttree so far, the writing is quite uh earthy.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Managed to finish Rocannons world right under the wire. It was quite good should probably read the lathe of heaven next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Will check this out actually I missed all the previous ones.
Just have to make my through *checks notes* Paradise Lost first. 🫠