Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Just about to start this. I'm excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

AngusPodgorny posted:

I've started reading Phantom World because I'm curious what vampire traits were traditional, and which we created for sake of the story. There were some traits I expected, some that were noticeably absent, some that reminded me more of witches, and one that just made me go "wait, what?" The fact that vampires, or at least some, can only use aliases that are anagrams.

The spoiler is so commonly associated with Vampires these days, I wondered if it was from folklore. I also wondered a bit as to whether Stoker was familiar with the work, mostly just because of the similarity with the dead ward Rheinfeldt and Renfield. I did enjoy the book, it was a nice Halloween read, and yes, very gay.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

AngusPodgorny posted:

I seem to have some serious gaps in my knowledge of vampires, since I didn’t know that Carmilla was a popular name or that they had to use anagram.[/spoiler]

Specifically spelling names backward. Alucard has quite a pop culture history of being a hidden vampire. Pratchett also commented on it "Do they really think that spelling their name backwards fools anyone?" There's enough out there that the portait was a dead giveaway. I'm curious as to whether it was for contemporary readers too.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I'm working on it, only like 1/4 of the way in. Out of curiosity, is steppe wolf a thing? Like as a saying. Prior to this were people described that way? And just this guy is not A steppe wolf but The Steppenwolf?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I gather mostly that I can get over my existential dread by watching Tik Tok.