Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I read it in the back half of September. Just now I remembered nothing about it other than that LeGuin is pretty good at writing.

Thinking back to it now having read a back cover blurb, things are coming back. It’s surprisingly brutal for something that ended up being so ephemeral. Feels like historical medieval fiction / fantasy stuff that I read as a kid, with that added layer of SF.

It didn’t compel me to keep reading the Hainish cycle (I’m going to anyway, I’ve got the two volume LoA set) or stick with me like Earthsea did, but I don’t regret reading it.

It is also an incredibly fast read. Pretty sure I finished it in an evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I have this, it’s great

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I liked Planet of Exile more than Rocannon’s World (which I still liked) and am excited to move to the next one. Maybe around the holidays… though I find LeGuin to be a pretty fast read usually so maybe sooner.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
First Santa gift book down. Alfred Bester’s The Demolished Man.

Not as good as The Stars My Destination, but still a whirlwind of a story. There are two things that I loved about both Bester books I’ve read. The first is the way he just drops us into fully realized worlds and trusts us to follow along as he goes. He trusts the reader to keep up and I appreciate that. The second is that he writes with a purpose. He has some core themes and ideas to explore and he wants to get to them. The plot drives relentlessly forward.

The middle of this book is the peak. The back and forth of the Rough and Slick is fantastic.

I’d love to see another book set in this world. Specifically the dystopia about the peeper run society.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

cumpantry posted:

i didnt even realize typing that but for gently caress's sake that's how Carrot started the book innit, his dad forces him into guard service. i wonder if Pratchett was considering the idea of kinging him and just dropped it later on, rendering Carrot pretty inert imo

He is a recurring character and it is a thing.