Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was really surprised by how gay the book was. Like, it's Ao3 levels of chicks in to each other in a book from the 1800s. Nthing the fact that I didn't know there were vampire books before Dracula. It's kind of neat to see the way they do things before they got streamlined by Dracula. Except for the dialogue and the occasional archaic word, this book feels like a pretty modern writing. I have trouble getting in to a lot of older books because they have a hard time getting to the point of each sentence and half the words aren't used anymore, so this was a pretty pleasant surprise. It also took me a few chapters to realize this book is why every sexy lady vampire in any form of media is always named Carmilla.

I watched the movie someone mentioned earlier, and it was pretty good. It was a bit hammy, and Carmilla tended to freak out in a way I don't think she really does in the book, but you gotta make the hour and a half interesting. Got me to move some of the Christoper Lee/Peter Cushing movies to the top of my queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised how quickly the book wraps up. The general spends all of like two pages to arrive at the graveyard and get to staking. He doesn't gently caress around.