Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

I think there's a bit of passivity required in Carmilla since she's portrayed (from my reading, of course) as something other than a predator for the first half or so of the book - isn't Dracula's reveal as a monster fairly early in Stoker's text? I'm not sure how much more action could be added to the middle of Carmilla without it seeming trite or contrived.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

or it's possible that it was too ahead of its time and the audience just didn't even clock what was going on at all ("oh, that's nice, they're going to be roommates.")

Yeah, LeFanu definitely was not being subtle with the intimacy between Laura and Carmilla for the majority of the book, haha. I wonder if some of the reduction in success was also due to having a female PoV character/leads; I'm honestly not sure how much that'd influence its impact in the Victorian era book market, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU