Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Enfys posted:

I've started the audiobook for This Is How You Lose The Time War as it was available first from the library, though I'm loving it so much that I'm definitely going to read the physical book as well for a reread. The narration is great.

I'm not too far in, but the part where Blue spends a century writing a letter using the rings of a tree just floored me so much that I had to stop for a bit to process all my feelings.

Mr. Enfys also overheard the start of the book and became so interested in it that we've been listening to it together, which is extra special :3:

lol, also asked my wife to do a simultaneous read with me but she's busy with other books.

I finished a couple nights ago, and really enjoyed it. The fact that it's basically half love letters was something I did not know going in. It's totally unlike anything I have ever read and will likely be a very rewarding re-read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Proust Malone posted:

I have finished yet but I really liked this but too, but then there’s another bit where blue is talking about how nice is it to be so deep undercover that going for a walk in the forest isn’t sus and now I’m thinking how the gently caress are they finding the time away to write a letter in tree rings

I always felt like those details could have been embellished as the love letters became more grand

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

mewse posted:

I voted for this book of the month so I am determined to read it but it's not engaging me. I'm several chapters in and I can tell I'm supposed to care about the evocative settings and the way they are passing messages back and forth, but I'm not.

I assume there's some big timey wimey twist coming up that makes everything more interesting but I'm getting bored to death waiting for it to happen.

I'd come back to it later, tbh. If you are not feeling it early on, the payoffs won't hit as hard

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

mewse posted:

- Has anyone discussed consent in relation to Red kissing and inoculating Blue as a child, altering her life trajectory? Like it's time travel so as far as we're concerned Blue has always had a childhood illness, but it marks her as separate from her faction and sets her up to return Red's affections. Did Red groom Blue?

The fun thing is that we don't know the answers to these, because we don't actually know how time travel works in this universe. If you subscribe to the Lost-style 'what happened, happened' then you absolutely could argue there was something untoward going on. I don't see it that way, but you could absolutely argue this.

mewse posted:

the plausibility of people who have never met falling head-over-heels in love with each other solely through these letters. yes it is possible, fine, but it felt like "the plot of this book is that they fall in love therefore they fall in love"

Another one that really comes down to your theory on how time travel works. Meant to be? Maybe! The ambiguity feels like a feature and not a bug.

McSpankWich posted:

I kind of felt like since they were presumably raised in a loveless combat based environment from infancy, that any kind of connection other than "go kill that guy" would cause strong feelings, even if not warranted in our reality. It's also possible that their names are lazy for the same reason, why name a weapon with any thought other than something utilitarian (see 007, etc)

Felt like Spy vs Spy for me, except they fall in love

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Proust Malone posted:

I wondered why in a love story they didn’t explore what is meant to be married in deep cover over year while in love with the opposite agent?[/spoiler]

I liked this. We didn't get mired down in the details, it was focused on the the love they had for each other