Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

AngusPodgorny posted:

I've only started, but it seems very Russian to me, which might just be because I haven't read any other Japanese books to compare to. Everything is cold and covered in snow, and everyone seems disconnected and doomed.

You might enjoy this, which might have been a SA Book Club choice a few years ago:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Four
Six Four is kind of a Japanese police procedural that can be used kind of like a guidebook to late 80s Japanese culture. There are all sorts of workplace and family dynamics going on, and the focus is more on those than your normal crime novel. Everyone in Six Four is disconnected and doomed, too!

Snow Country is on my Kindle. I'm just coming off the Gideon the Ninth books and I'm looking for a change of pace. I'm only partially ashamed to say I learned a little bit about snow country in Japan from one of the Yakuza games; a character escapes from prison and holes up in one of these snowy villages for a little while. The events in the game led me to reading up on Japan's "southern alps."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU