Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I voted for this book of the month so I am determined to read it but it's not engaging me. I'm several chapters in and I can tell I'm supposed to care about the evocative settings and the way they are passing messages back and forth, but I'm not.

I assume there's some big timey wimey twist coming up that makes everything more interesting but I'm getting bored to death waiting for it to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

81sidewinder posted:

I'd come back to it later, tbh. If you are not feeling it early on, the payoffs won't hit as hard

No. I have a week to finish this and as we all know from high school, compelled reading is the most enjoyable reading

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ok so the book finally grabbed me and I finished it. Random thoughts:

- I felt like it ended abruptly and I would have appreciated an epilogue a love story where they never get to sit next to each other is sadistic
- I'm not sure I ever fully grasped the "upthread"/"downthread" terminology, pretty sure upthread was into the past, downthread was into the future
- Has anyone discussed consent in relation to Red kissing and inoculating Blue as a child, altering her life trajectory? Like it's time travel so as far as we're concerned Blue has always had a childhood illness, but it marks her as separate from her faction and sets her up to return Red's affections. Did Red groom Blue?
- I enjoyed the Garden faction being communal/nature based and the Commandant's faction being totalitarian/mechanized.
- I felt like the names Red/Blue were lazy and would've appreciated Proper Names. There was good riffing in the letters as they talked about each others names, but it feels like Red/Blue were placeholders, then they wrote love letters to each others names, and they were stuck with them. The names did help visualize Red "going green" at the end.

I'm half joking with these comments and don't want a flame war. I thought it was a good book. 4/5.

e: oh yeah the plausibility of people who have never met falling head-over-heels in love with each other solely through these letters. yes it is possible, fine, but it felt like "the plot of this book is that they fall in love therefore they fall in love"

mewse fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 25, 2024

mewse
May 2, 2006

theysayheygreg posted:

It is certainly not a mechanical time travel story like Primer or Looper in this instance.

I was very relieved the time travel was easy to follow, and not deliberately complicated like Looper