Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K3nT3n
Oct 8, 2015
If you see me posting my own tweets, please report me so I will be probated for a month.
https://i.imgur.com/6D6Ko0y.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think he should have changed that poo poo to star trek and stopped writing irresponsible, stupid, incest driven scifi. :shrug:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

BTW here's the chimp who played the original Emperor's eyes

that's the screenwriter

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Star Wars was actually created by Steven Spielberg but George Lucas used matte paintings and miniatures to put his own name in the credits.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Philthy posted:

Eh, i think holding off on what Jabba actually is worked out better. You keep hearing about him till Jedi and then it's this huge loving slug and you're all 'gently caress me thats a huge loving slug OMG TITS'

That and the Jabba scene is largely redundant, as it re-delivers basically the same plot points as the Greedo scene from 30 seconds before.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Star Wars was actually created by Steven Spielberg but George Lucas used matte paintings and miniatures to put his own name in the credits.

NOBODY IS ABADDONS VAMPIRE! :drac:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

You Are A Elf posted:

.... Same with Yub Nub...

I've always found the Star Wars movies boring, but I'm fascinated by the fact that "Yub Nub" spelt backwards is "bun buy".

I wouldn't say no to a nice bun right now, and wouldn't mind paying for it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
On one hand dubbing in sand *people* instead of what the characters say in the theatrical version is good from a broader social perspective but I really feel like it cut a lot of the truth out of Obi-Wan and Luke's characters. I mean, yes they live in space but they're also rural people with rural views.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

I’ve never heard that part about the cockpits. What did they change? Which movie?

In empire strikes back in the battle of Hoth they had to make the matte a bit transparent or you get these really harsh black lines against the white background.

It's mentioned in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy4yCw4zrqY

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 5, 2022

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Your making this up right? There is no way thats real?

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
The thing is, fans of THX-1138 seemed to really like the 2004 update.

Lucus has the same feelings for both THX-1138 and mainly the original Star Wars... that they were unfinished movies, and he wanted to present the films closer to what he intended. For example, in the original THX, when he goes off the drugs and the little canister tips over, it just sits there with an alarm going off, and the audience just has to assume that that's really bad. In the update, it shows the canister melting in a way that is much more alarming. (It's been a while since I've seen either version of the film.)

I seem to remember two projects that are trying to restore the original Star Wars movie from the release print, where they want to scan it, clean it up, grade it, etc., in order to present the original movie in 4K in the best quality possible, without any added digital effects or anything like that. What ever happened to either of those?

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Serious_Cyclone posted:

One of the worst edits was retconning the cantina scene so Han doesn't shoot first. Why is it so important to take that away from his character?

A lot of people on both sides of this argument seem to miss the point.

Han doesn't need to be ruthless to shoot first. He is being threatened by a guy who obviously wants to kill him. It's self-defense either way. Him waiting for the guy to shoot and miss just makes both of them incompetent dumbasses. If Han shoots second then these aren't two tough career criminals, they are two goddamn clowns having a clown-off.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Bula Vinaka posted:

The thing is, fans of THX-1138 seemed to really like the 2004 update.

Lucus has the same feelings for both THX-1138 and mainly the original Star Wars... that they were unfinished movies, and he wanted to present the films closer to what he intended. For example, in the original THX, when he goes off the drugs and the little canister tips over, it just sits there with an alarm going off, and the audience just has to assume that that's really bad. In the update, it shows the canister melting in a way that is much more alarming. (It's been a while since I've seen either version of the film.)

I seem to remember two projects that are trying to restore the original Star Wars movie from the release print, where they want to scan it, clean it up, grade it, etc., in order to present the original movie in 4K in the best quality possible, without any added digital effects or anything like that. What ever happened to either of those?

The 2004 version is pretty good, it fixes a lot of the underwhelming effects but stays true to the flavor of the film without going overboard

I never understood why the gently caress that one guy gets in a car and IMMEDIATELY crashes it into a pillar that seems to be made of water. You'd think they could have done something a little more interesting or less stupid looking

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Keep:

SW - the expanded Mos Eisley vista shots, and the new X-Wing shots
ESB - the Wampa change, Ian as Palps (though should have filmed it word for word from the original dialogue) the expanded Bespin shots

And all the clean up work done to fix matte boxes, transparencies, etc.

Scrap:

Everything else

But in all honesty, the only ones that really bug me are Han v Greedo, changing Vader's line from the supremely terse and pissed off "bring my shuttle" to saying to call his Star Destroyer like he's ordering take out, giving the Sarlacc a dumb beak instead of leaving it a creepy pit in the ground, and Anakin speaking before dumping Palps down the hole. The rest I can live with, though they could do with giving all the CG stuff another pass as it's noticeably 90s quality last time I saw.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Original film had all the jedis use pool noodles in lieu of laser swords but when the audience hasn't responded well Lucas had to refilm several scenes. If you watch carefully there are still several frames where Ben is holding the original weapon.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The changes to Cloud City are so good, people don't even remember it used to be just a bunch of white corridors.

Same with the battle over the Death Star and the approach leading up to it. Most of those shots are real awkward and underwhelming in the original, with garbage mattes all over the place, but that was simply the best they could with the effects at the time.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Bula Vinaka posted:

They finished Star Wars and Return of the Jedi, and they have 1080p prototypes for Empire Strikes Back. They're out there.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

BTW here's the chimp who played the original Emperor's eyes

People sure loved putting chimps in clothes back in the day

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

That's wario.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
imo the more damning change for Han was in Return of the Jedi, when Han has to shoot a sarlacc tentacle that's dragging Lando down into the pit. Lando asks if Han is still blind from being thawed out, to which Han replies "trust me" and then makes the shot (after a few attempts). But it was changed to “It’s all right, I can see a lot better!”. Thank goodness, we didn't want too much tension in that scene, or make Han seem too arrogant

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

Original film had all the jedis use pool noodles in lieu of laser swords but when the audience hasn't responded well Lucas had to refilm several scenes. If you watch carefully there are still several frames where Ben is holding the original weapon.

I remember even as a kid in the 90s watching this and wondering how this poo poo slipped through, the beam on the lightsabers was either incredibly dinky and thin, or nonexistent sometimes

naem
May 29, 2011

my vhs copy I had as a kid had an interview with Lucas and Leonard Maultin so every time I had to fast forward past two old men being incredibly, incredibly boring at each other

Maultin was at least enthusiastic while george seemed bloated and sleepy per usual

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

je1 healthcare posted:

imo the more damning change for Han was in Return of the Jedi, when Han has to shoot a sarlacc tentacle that's dragging Lando down into the pit. Lando asks if Han is still blind from being thawed out, to which Han replies "trust me" and then makes the shot (after a few attempts). But it was changed to “It’s all right, I can see a lot better!”. Thank goodness, we didn't want too much tension in that scene, or make Han seem too arrogant

Lmao Lucas really can’t leave any tension or mystery to our imagination, so he has to spell it out for us with new dialog and scenes. It’s like the new scene in Empire when Luke is hanging upside down in the wampa’s cave. You see the wampa gnawing on a bloody bone. Why? Gotta show that the wampa is a predator even though we just loving saw it attack Luke for the sole reason of being hunted and eaten.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Shots like that would have been in the original if the wampa suit hadn't been a complete misfire of a prop at the time. The meat it's eating is also pretty obviously what's left of Luke's friendly horse.

Also the "i can see a lot better" and "trust me" lines are both "original". They're alternate takes that appeared in the 70 and 35 mm prints respectively. This is the case with most dialog people think has been replaced. Had the other one been on whatever vhs version you've been watching all this time and they changed it to the other one you'd be saying "way to ruin an actually funny joke Lucas :argh: "

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
every decision lucas made was wrong

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
he should have never made star wars. now it's too late

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous

Mooey Cow posted:

This is the case with most dialog people think has been replaced. Had the other one been on whatever vhs version you've been watching all this time and they changed it to the other one you'd be saying "way to ruin an actually funny joke Lucas :argh: "

It’s me, I’m the dude who came to this thread to complain that “it’s all right, I can see a lot better now” has been replaced with “trust me” in every reissue and even the despecialized version I have. I love the joke line. It’s goofy but it also fits with Han entirely, to me—because Han is a guy who gets a little goofy in stressful situations. I’d like the option to have it back.

Also probably the only dude who misses the white walls of Cloud City a little bit. It gave the place a slight sense of wrongness for me—it’s a little too clean and sterile, and without windows it feels a bit like a prison, which it eventually becomes.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Honestly everything is sort of whatever but this is so deeply cringe.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Elentor posted:

Honestly everything is sort of whatever but this is so deeply cringe.

Lapti Nek forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_JLiqKAgCg

Now THIS is a gritty song that sounds like it would be played in an intergalactic gangster’s palace.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Top is the special edition DVD. Below is the original.

As a kid I thought these films had really bad visual effects, but most of the ones that don't hold up are the 90's CGI. Without them the films are really charming. You get to see nearly every trick they had at the time, from matte paintings, bluescreen, puppets, stop motion, etc.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

This is actually extremely funny and good.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

did they remaster the cantina jizz?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
george poopass

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Seriouspost: Yub Nub. This silly little song builds and builds, the orchestra starts creeping in, then on the last line the tune shoots upwards and lands perfectly in the Star Wars theme. It's perfect because it's the end of the Star Wars story, it's all over and we can say thanks and bye. Turns out it wasn't, and now I can't get that moment back.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Serious_Cyclone posted:

ngl, putting Jabba back into IV really helps make the entire Han/Jabba story arc make sense. I get why they had to cut it after Jabba was no longer just a fat neckbeard, but their relationship was kind of confusing without this scene.

he didn't have to step on his tail tho

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
It always irked me that despite all these changes, nothing was done to correct the worst effect in the entire OT: the super stardestroyer crashing into DS2

https://youtu.be/aj9mzKe6EoE

So many decent effects in 90 seconds but the crash is garbage. It's like if the last shot of Admiral Ackbar was a sock puppet.

It's so awful. It's clearly a plastic toy going 0.000001 MPH into a plastic model with a 99 cent store firework going off.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
they were good movies but i think what was missing was a post-credits scene of a noticeably aged Luke closing a book he was writing in that says "the Star Wars" on the cover followed by Han walking into the room and asking "hey Luke remember all those Star Wars we had back in the day?"

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

dsf posted:

they were good movies but i think what was missing was a post-credits scene of a noticeably aged Luke closing a book he was writing in that says "the Star Wars" on the cover followed by Han walking into the room and asking "hey Luke remember all those Star Wars we had back in the day?"

Then they kiss.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Get it done Lucas Disney, except film Hamill and Ford then de-age them then re-age them with the CGI.

But seriously I hope Lucas has a clause with his movies that he can endlessly gently caress around with them. Waiting for the special edition of the jar jar ones. Unless of course he just thinks those are perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

Get it done Lucas Disney, except film Hamill and Ford then de-age them then re-age them with the CGI.

But seriously I hope Lucas has a clause with his movies that he can endlessly gently caress around with them. Waiting for the special edition of the jar jar ones. Unless of course he just thinks those are perfect.

the technology did not exist in 1999 to animate Jar Jar's three prehensile penises