Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Caesar Saladin posted:

Its funny how nowadays, if that 90s mario movie was released everyone would completely melt down but it sounds like when it was released in the 90s, everyone shrugged and went "Welp i guess that's what we got."
Nah we all had a pretty "What the hell was that?" reaction. It was considered bad by everyone I knew and didn't really start getting it's cult hit status until decades later.

Of course at the time Mario itself was a pretty new franchise, none of us had grown up with it from birth and no one over 15 cared. It was easy to ignore the weird movie and keep following the games and cartoons and everything else that was still in its peak.

A much bigger crime for our generation was when Mario 64 came out and Nintendo tried to memory hole Mario being a gruff-voiced adult and turned him into a barely-literate Mickey Mouse. And now everyone's freaking out about them doing the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Canonically waluigi cannot exist without waluigi, hence Luigi ultimately is responsible for waluigis many crimes. In my 370 page thesis I will discuss how this relates to the ultimate causes of 9/11...

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I like that the movie explored Mario's superpowers more closely. I never thought of him as an Iraq war veteran, but it kinda makes sense considering he is a recent Italian immigrant and probably couldn't get citizenship any other way. His jumping ability being the product of army experiments with leg DNA was spot on because we never see him have super strength in his arms and it makes so much sense. It was all very respectful to the original cannon and the writers spent a lot of time thinking about it.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Knormal posted:

A much bigger crime for our generation was when Mario 64 came out and Nintendo tried to memory hole Mario being a gruff-voiced adult and turned him into a barely-literate Mickey Mouse. And now everyone's freaking out about them doing the opposite.

i'm still genuinely pissed that everyone just started calling king koopa "bowser" one day

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

That DICK! posted:

love waluigi, dont care for daisy. what's her deal? who is she? she just shows up? no thanks

Hi! I'm Daisy.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i'm still genuinely pissed that everyone just started calling king koopa "bowser" one day

King Koopa is a lot better than Bowser. When did that start? 64?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

sigher posted:

King Koopa is a lot better than Bowser. When did that start? 64?

He was always Bowser, though often referred to in copy as "the Koopa King" or "King of the Koopa" for the original game. Super Mario Bros 3 started using his name more often.

"King Koopa" was an invention of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show (I was the opposite from you all and found it a little annoying as a kid that thanks to the cartoon people didn't seem to know his name) and this carried over in the subsequent cartoons, though I recall a couple times in the "Super Mario Bros. 3" cartoon Mario referred to him as "Bowser Koopa."

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Speaking of characters with multiple names, I like "Princess Toadstool" and I like "Peach" but somehow "Princess Peach" irritates me. Yes, I know that was always her name in the original Japanese but it's like how I'm not gonna call an NES a Famicom, nawmean?

Also I miss when she was a redhead.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Since "Peach" means "rear end" now, they're renaming her. But for some reason they are keeping the eggplant wizards from Kid Icarus

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Knormal posted:

Interesting, because personally the Mario voice in 64 didn't phase me at all when it came out. Seemed very natural, and it stuck.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

He was always Bowser, though often referred to in copy as "the Koopa King" or "King of the Koopa" for the original game. Super Mario Bros 3 started using his name more often.

"King Koopa" was an invention of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show (I was the opposite from you all and found it a little annoying as a kid that thanks to the cartoon people didn't seem to know his name) and this carried over in the subsequent cartoons, though I recall a couple times in the "Super Mario Bros. 3" cartoon Mario referred to him as "Bowser Koopa."

There are several ways to kill him, but you only get points if you use fireballs.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

EorayMel posted:

There are several ways to kill him, but you only get points if you use fireballs.

*You [might] get one extra life throughout the entire game, if you collect enough points.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

lmao

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I lol'd

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

E: oops

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Reminder this is canon:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The real question is what are the chances Mario rides in a go kart at some point in the movie

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

EorayMel posted:

Reminder this is canon:

Looks more like pistol to me

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

"I used to play King Lear!"

lmao

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i have the novelization of the 90's Mario Bros Movie I forgot where I put it

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
only way I'd watch this is if Mario was played by Werner Herzog

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'll wait for the snyder cut

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

The painted SNES super scopes

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Merrio

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

"I used to play King Lear!"

lmao

lmfao

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Lewiggy

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
chris pratt more like piss shat

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My turtle tip broke my NES into some weird beyond the 8-bit vocabulary. I don't think there is an ascii for the continuing 1-ups.

I should not tell you about my excite bike maps. I went into a 256 dimension.

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 11, 2022

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I dunno what they've done, but Mario's face looks wrong. Not Sonic film wrong, but off somehow. I suppose they needed to redesign it for more talking and emoting.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

goatface posted:

I dunno what they've done, but Mario's face looks wrong.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Exactly, they got it right before.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Bowser Junior is now voiced by Steve Harvey, Howie Mandel was unavailable.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Knormal posted:

Nah we all had a pretty "What the hell was that?" reaction. It was considered bad by everyone I knew and didn't really start getting it's cult hit status until decades later.

Of course at the time Mario itself was a pretty new franchise, none of us had grown up with it from birth and no one over 15 cared. It was easy to ignore the weird movie and keep following the games and cartoons and everything else that was still in its peak.

Honestly everyone already knew a live-action Super Mario Bros movie was a bonkers idea in the first place. We all indeed thought "what the hell was that?" but nobody really had any particular expectations for such a movie so there wasn't anything to backlash against, and so we all just shrugged and moved on or ignored it entirely.

I recall I was a surprisingly good sport about it and enjoyed the movie at the theater even if I couldn't receive it as a "real" Mario movie. I remember really liking Bob Hoskins in the role and that went a long way.

It was also fun to see John Leguizamo's career evolve throughout the following years.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Looking back I think younger me might've been able to embrace the movie more if they'd just had the Mario bros visiting some other world rather than try to pass it off as "it's the Mushroom Kingdom but through some kind of movie reimagination filter." I managed to roll with it, but if I didn't have to put in the effort of "okay these things that look nothing like goombas are the movie's equivalent of goombas etc." it would've been easier for me to just enjoy it on its own terms, and there'd already been plenty of games where Mario had ventured to other worlds so there was precedent.

Maybe give us a glimpse of the
Mushroom Kingdom at the end after rescuing the king and/or princess, and then it could've been more acceptable for it to look cheesy/cartoony with the toads and such in a cameo as we would've just been through a whole movie in gritty photorealistic live-action wherever-land. Sort of the best of both worlds where we get a taste of our "direct from the games" to quench that thirst and have us saying "yeah maybe it was for the best we didn't spend the entire movie there."

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

It is me. I'm Mario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Biohazard posted:

It is me. I'm Mario.

Let us go.