Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

sigher posted:

King Koopa is a lot better than Bowser. When did that start? 64?

He was always Bowser, though often referred to in copy as "the Koopa King" or "King of the Koopa" for the original game. Super Mario Bros 3 started using his name more often.

"King Koopa" was an invention of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show (I was the opposite from you all and found it a little annoying as a kid that thanks to the cartoon people didn't seem to know his name) and this carried over in the subsequent cartoons, though I recall a couple times in the "Super Mario Bros. 3" cartoon Mario referred to him as "Bowser Koopa."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Speaking of characters with multiple names, I like "Princess Toadstool" and I like "Peach" but somehow "Princess Peach" irritates me. Yes, I know that was always her name in the original Japanese but it's like how I'm not gonna call an NES a Famicom, nawmean?

Also I miss when she was a redhead.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Knormal posted:

Nah we all had a pretty "What the hell was that?" reaction. It was considered bad by everyone I knew and didn't really start getting it's cult hit status until decades later.

Of course at the time Mario itself was a pretty new franchise, none of us had grown up with it from birth and no one over 15 cared. It was easy to ignore the weird movie and keep following the games and cartoons and everything else that was still in its peak.

Honestly everyone already knew a live-action Super Mario Bros movie was a bonkers idea in the first place. We all indeed thought "what the hell was that?" but nobody really had any particular expectations for such a movie so there wasn't anything to backlash against, and so we all just shrugged and moved on or ignored it entirely.

I recall I was a surprisingly good sport about it and enjoyed the movie at the theater even if I couldn't receive it as a "real" Mario movie. I remember really liking Bob Hoskins in the role and that went a long way.

It was also fun to see John Leguizamo's career evolve throughout the following years.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Looking back I think younger me might've been able to embrace the movie more if they'd just had the Mario bros visiting some other world rather than try to pass it off as "it's the Mushroom Kingdom but through some kind of movie reimagination filter." I managed to roll with it, but if I didn't have to put in the effort of "okay these things that look nothing like goombas are the movie's equivalent of goombas etc." it would've been easier for me to just enjoy it on its own terms, and there'd already been plenty of games where Mario had ventured to other worlds so there was precedent.

Maybe give us a glimpse of the
Mushroom Kingdom at the end after rescuing the king and/or princess, and then it could've been more acceptable for it to look cheesy/cartoony with the toads and such in a cameo as we would've just been through a whole movie in gritty photorealistic live-action wherever-land. Sort of the best of both worlds where we get a taste of our "direct from the games" to quench that thirst and have us saying "yeah maybe it was for the best we didn't spend the entire movie there."