Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
doors in the op remind me of the iroquois theater fire, still the deadliest building fire in american history, lead to a massive set of reforms regarding fire safety

quote:

The Iroquois Theatre fire occurred on December 30, 1903, at the Iroquois Theatre in Chicago, Illinois, United States. It was the deadliest theater fire and the deadliest single-building fire in U.S. history, resulting in at least 602 deaths.

the post-fire investigation revealed just an entire long list of things that could and should be enforced to improve survivability in the event of a fire. from emergency exits, to signage, to staff fire drills and evacuation plans, to alarms and notification systems - everything. one of the problems was that the doors were operated by this kind of lock, uncommon in america

quote:

By this time, many of the patrons on all levels were attempting to flee the theater. Some had found the fire exits hidden behind draperies on the north side of the building, but found that they could not open the unfamiliar bascule locks. Bar owner Frank Houseman, a former baseball player with the Chicago Colts, defied an usher who refused to open a door. He was able to open the door because his ice box at home had a similar lock.

this is one of the reasons emergency exit doors are standardized with a huge bar you can just slam into when opening the door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Perestroika posted:

A while back I got myself a fancy daylight alarm clock to make waking up in the winter darkness a bit nicer. And while it generally works, the button layout is just bonkers. It's got some touch at the front and four tactile buttons on top, and absolutely no rhyme or reason how they're ordered or function. The buttons for snooze, disabling the alarm, and changing the light are all touch-based, so very much not ideal to operate in the morning when you're hardly awake yet and want to avoid accidentally hitting the wrong one. Three out of the four tactile buttons are for stuff you only ever use once like setting the alarm tone and time display type, but the fourth one sets the time display brightness, which is something I do every single day. Setting the time is done by a short button press on the respective button, but setting the alarm time is done by a long button hold, so it's not even consistent in that regard.

Last but certainly not least are the light controls. It offers both daylight and coloured light modes, and the only way to control that is to cycle between light off -> daylight -> coloured light, with a separate control for the specific colour you want to see for the latter. So every single morning it wakes me up by automatically activating the daylight mode and the only way to then shut it off is to cycle through coloured light first (and get a faceful of maximum brightness green light first thing in the morning).

They're all minor issues, but it's really apparent that absolutely nobody involved in the design ever considered how it would be typically used and how to minimize necessary button presses during regular use.

I have exactly the same clock and I love everything about it except the buttons. I've owned the drat thing for two years now and I still occasionally hit the wrong button to turn the lights off.

Honestly I just pointed it at the wall to diffuse the light better and I use an old alarm clock for an actual alarm.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
One of my big pet peeve bad-UI/UX items is SINGLE scroll bar of letters for entering text on certain smart TV/steaming boxes. This is a double-whammy when they ALSO combine it with no wrap-around. Pac-Man figured this out in 1980...get your loving poo poo together!

The biggest offender seems to be Apple TV*, but I've seen the single text row on some variety of XBox and Play Station over the years, depending on the app. I remember the PS Store for a while was a single VERTICAL (?) column of text, which is odd because it used to be a standard on-screen keyboard but then they changed it to be worse...a LOT worse because it would also try to load all search results with no delay after inputting a letter so the lag was horrific.

*Apple also has the award for worst streaming box remote. By quick glance/feel, it's sort of symmetrical in both horizontal and vertical directions, so when you're trying to find and use it when, say, it's night and there's low light, it's very easy to hold it upside-down. I had to buy a little "remote condom" for it to stop that. Since the bottom 1/3 of the remote is empty space, the condom covers that part up so by feel you know the bottom part.

The top part is a touchpad that ALSO clicks. I have "heavy fingers" so I am frequently clicking when I don't mean to, and the touchpad is WAAAAY too sensitive, so I am always going past what I need when swiping. I think the bad touchpad combined with single row of text, no wrap-around, for searching is an intentionally bad UI choice from Apple to get you to use the voice commands more often. Why they want you to use voice? IDK, probably some weird analytics poo poo or to use to constantly improve their voice detection for Siri or whatever. But I refuse, hate voice activated anything, with the small exception of my phone when I have a timer (often for cooking) I can turn off with my voice cause my hands might be covered in, like, raw meat or dough or something.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Blow posted:

My LG microwave oven.

It seems like the only time you can change the time on the clock is to turn it off and back on at the outlet. The clock then blinks and is fairly easy to change. The problem being the microwave is set in a recess about head high and the only way to access the power outlet is to get one person to pull the microwave out and awkwardly hold it at chest height while a second person turns the power off/on.

Maybe there's a combination of buttons to press? Dunno. I just know it's a huge pain in the arse every time there's a blackout or daylight savings kicks in.

I don't have a manual for it. Have tried :google: to no avail, but the model number is on the back and would require the same process to see what it is.

If all you need to do is reset the power supply... do you have access to a circuit breaker panel?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My new router has one light, just the one. This single light changes color and flashing pattern based on the status of the connection. First of all it can only show one status at a time which is terrible ui especially if multiple things are wrong, but anyway. If the connection is broken, it just turns a flat solid red, no matter which link in the chain is broken. So when my internet goes out, I can no longer look at my router to find out why and if it's something I can fix by unplugging it at the modem, restarting just the router, restarting my PC, or if it's an ISP issue and there's nothing I can do. Thanks guys, these things had a whole row of tiny lights for a reason.

https://eero.com/

Was given a bunch of these by my isp with no manual. Why's the internet not working? It's a mystery!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Oct 12, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CJacobs posted:

My new router has one light, just the one. This single light changes color and flashing pattern based on the status of the connection. First of all it can only show one status at a time which is terrible ui especially if multiple things are wrong, but anyway. If the connection is broken, it just turns a flat solid red, no matter which link in the chain is broken. So when my internet goes out, I can no longer look at my router to find out why and if it's something I can fix by unplugging it at the modem, restarting just the router, restarting my PC, or if it's an ISP issue and there's nothing I can do. Thanks guys, these things had a whole row of tiny lights for a reason.

Ugh, mine is the same way. And of course I never think to have the online manual around before the light changes color and the internet goes away :negative:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

:catstare:

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

:goodpost:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

doors in the op remind me of the iroquois theater fire, still the deadliest building fire in american history, lead to a massive set of reforms regarding fire safety

the post-fire investigation revealed just an entire long list of things that could and should be enforced to improve survivability in the event of a fire. from emergency exits, to signage, to staff fire drills and evacuation plans, to alarms and notification systems - everything. one of the problems was that the doors were operated by this kind of lock, uncommon in america

this is one of the reasons emergency exit doors are standardized with a huge bar you can just slam into when opening the door

Isn’t this like how every shipping container and cargo trailer in the world opens or would I be dead in the theatre?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Isn’t this like how every shipping container and cargo trailer in the world opens or would I be dead in the theatre?

yeah, this is a pretty good way to secure doors that you want to generally stay closed, on things like freight containers and storage lockers

fire exits, however,

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

CJacobs posted:

https://eero.com/

Was given a bunch of these by my isp with no manual. Why's the internet not working? It's a mystery!

Never use the ISP provided router.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This isn't a fix to the LED issue but if you have an ISP provided eero you should be able to get the eero app on your phone to manage it. Yes, there are a ton of reasons why you might not want to do this, I'm just saying. As far as the apps for these things go, it's pretty functional. Source: am an ISP tech that uses eeros

To contribute, I know there are much MUCH worse industrial / enterprise backend systems out there but the worst thing I have to interact with occasionally is the copper-circuit order entry system for Centurylink / Lumen, EASE. Look at this garbo:

there are several tabs of this, in a window that you cannot resize. Some of the fields have tooltips.

It's also that perfect mix where since I only have to mess with it like once every few weeks there's no possible way I'll ever gain an intuitive grasp of what the gently caress all these acronyms are. Putting in a 'please turn off this DSL' can take half an hour if it doesn't like the address for some godforsaken reason.

NmareBfly has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Oct 15, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

love too design my computer form like it's the instrument panel on the space shuttle.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Parahexavoctal posted:

If all you need to do is reset the power supply... do you have access to a circuit breaker panel?

Sure. Though that would also kill the power to the regular oven (another clock to change), and the tricky wifi extender the solar panels' inverter wifi connects to. So unfortunately your solution while elegant creates a shitload more drama. :)

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

In the current Animal Crossing's multi player, it will block new arrivals to the town if anyone has a menu open. During arrival, it takes control from all the players to show a little cutscene. If the town player limit is too high it becomes basically unplayable due to these cutscenes.

I will state for the record that I have countless HOURS in ACNH, but it still wins my award for "game most openly disrespectful of the player's time".

So many baffling UI decisions, and the multiplayer thing legit blows my mind.

"allow other players to join a game in progress while allowing the current players to keep playing" has been a solved problem since what? Doom?
yet they managed to gently caress it up beyond belief.

Just so ppl who haven't played it are clear:

when someone attempts to join a game in progress, no one else in the game can be:

- talking to a villager/merchant
- shopping
- changing clothes
- looking at their inventory
- using the ATM
- typing a chat message
- literally anything which causes a dialog box or menu to appear

And if you can manage to get everyone to STOP doing any of that, ALL players have to watch a cutscene of the plane landing, and the new player walking out of the airport gate. THEN everyone can actually PLAY again.

Like it's not that they merely fumbled online play, they botched it so bad that it's rarely worth it to have more than one friend come to visit.

I held a Witch's Sabbat for some goons a little while after release, and it took close to an HOUR to get 6 people on my island. An hour for 6 people to all join a multiplayer game, in TYOOL 2021.

Just a mind-bogglingly bad, crazy "attempt" at "multiplayer".

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

HaB posted:

an HOUR to get 6 people on my island. An hour for 6 people to all join a multiplayer game, in TYOOL 2021.

Just a mind-bogglingly bad, crazy "attempt" at "multiplayer".

I know there must be some very fun and rewarding things in this game that make it worth it for you but this whole post reads like you have to play it as a job, like you're complaining about the database software your job makes you use

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I know there must be some very fun and rewarding things in this game that make it worth it for you but this whole post reads like you have to play it as a job, like you're complaining about the database software your job makes you use

The entire game is built around doing chores in a chill virtual space, so there is a certain amount of "being a job" baked in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

yeah, this is a pretty good way to secure doors that you want to generally stay closed, on things like freight containers and storage lockers

fire exits, however,

The point has also been raised that these mechanisms were far less common at the turn of the twentieth century.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

There has to be some kind of story, like the CEO randomly demanded that it have multiplayer most of the way through development. It's just not possible to set out to make a multiplayer game and duck up that bad while also producing functioning single player. Or maybe they tried to handle it with an all fresh grads team and no oversight. There HAS to be an explanation.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

There has to be some kind of story, like the CEO randomly demanded that it have multiplayer most of the way through development. It's just not possible to set out to make a multiplayer game and duck up that bad while also producing functioning single player. Or maybe they tried to handle it with an all fresh grads team and no oversight. There HAS to be an explanation.

The explanation is that it's Nintendo. I fully believe they can set out to make an online multiplayer game and gently caress it up that bad. I love em, but they have some things they just constantly struggle with.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
It really just boils down to: The game is designed around multiplayer being something you do for a while with your small group of personal friends or family, and breaks down when internet communities try to treat it like an mmo.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Snake Maze posted:

It really just boils down to: The game is designed around multiplayer being something you do for a while with your small group of personal friends or family, and breaks down when internet communities try to treat it like an mmo.

6 people, my man. That's hardly treating it like an MMO.

Even getting 1 person over is way more tedious than it needs to be. It's just THAT bad.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Snake Maze posted:

My 3 friends and I wanted to play the game while we were on a video call. Two of them live together and were on the same console/character, so this is 3 total consoles.

After 20 minutes, we all got on the same island. After another 10, we decided to stop playing rather than try to redo the setup to see another one of our islands.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Snake Maze posted:

Lol no this is not the problem. The problem is likely that the entire game is top to bottom not engineered for multiplayer at all. When you know you're going to have it you tend to use a server-client architecture even for the single player. That way other players joining is the exact same process as the first player joining. It's been a solved problem since the mid 90s, at least for the player counts the game supports.

The question is whether they had multiplayer imposed on them at the last minute, or somehow put together a team with less understanding of how to do it than the smash bros people. Either option speaks to something extremely strange going on with management.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Lol no this is not the problem. The problem is likely that the entire game is top to bottom not engineered for multiplayer at all. When you know you're going to have it you tend to use a server-client architecture even for the single player. That way other players joining is the exact same process as the first player joining. It's been a solved problem since the mid 90s, at least for the player counts the game supports.

The question is whether they had multiplayer imposed on them at the last minute, or somehow put together a team with less understanding of how to do it than the smash bros people. Either option speaks to something extremely strange going on with management.

Animal Crossing has had multiplayer since Wild World in 2005, and has been in every game since. Unless they had told the developers, "This next Animal Crossing game won't have multiplayer! ...jk!" there's no reason why they wouldn't have expected it to have multiplayer from the start.
Whatever architecture they choose to use is irrelevant. It's just Nintendo being Nintendo.
Also, I'm not sure server-client architecture is somehow everyone's solution to making a game with multiplayer, that feels like a bit of a bold claim.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Just use server-client architecture is the tightening up the graphics version of multiplayer design. Like yes but that's not descriptive of what actually makes multiplayer pleasant. Its one thing to say lets have central services so everyone gets the same game state, and a completely different thing to design those services so that synchronous things stay synchronized but no-impact stuff stays asynchronous in the client and updates at a convenient time. Building guard rails that stop you from doing simple asynchronous things like forming a chat message so that players can join in a synchronous cutscene is consistent with server-client design with bad user experience.

I like the physical human factors part of this thread so much more but I can't pass up the opportunity to describe Nintendo as a company with huge expertise in making mechanically fun games but still buried in the user experience of 1999 which is fine if you're just booting up Mario to play alone or on the couch but makes you scratch your head constantly if you're doing anything with internet multiplayer.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
With how nervous nintendo tends to be about children using their systems to speak with strangers, I wonder if the multiplayer is so clunky on purpose. Yeah, you'd need to exchange friend codes before joining anyway but there are websites for that kind of thing. If they're worried about an unofficial community forming around the multiplayer feature they intended to be just for lil' Timmy and his friend from school to run around together, it wouldn't make much sense to prioritize a seamless multiplayer experience.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MrQwerty posted:

my Ersa wave machine is 20 years old and runs a very specific computer that requires the use of very specific software, because industrial equipment (especially German industrial equipment).

Ersa's control software for that machine is, basically, still ported from Windows 95, visually and functionally. It runs a copy of WinXP that has been deactivated for years. It takes 3-5 seconds to respond to clicking on buttons.

Germans make the most unintuitive poo poo in the world regarding software.

I don't think you really want germans running at high efficiency

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
MORE LIKE NINTENDON'T AMIRITE

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/ItsKeyes/status/1583464017929990145

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

i assume the L stands for "lol rekt"

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lincoln posted:

MORE LIKE NINTENDON'T AMIRITE
That's the best online play experience they can manage without BLAST PROCESSING.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

My Chrysler sometimes has lag when using the stereo, particular the volume knob :geno:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I choose to interpret that as if you adjust the volume the car starts teleporting around on the road erratically.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

You've gotta start twiddling the volume knob before you need the extra power, to give the turbo time to spool up.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

You've gotta start twiddling the volume knob before you need the extra power, to give the turbo time to spool up.

Yeah it's like pushing the elevator button repeatedly to get the car to arrive faster: you're forcing more air into the elevator shaft.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

NmareBfly posted:

This isn't a fix to the LED issue but if you have an ISP provided eero you should be able to get the eero app on your phone to manage it. Yes, there are a ton of reasons why you might not want to do this, I'm just saying. As far as the apps for these things go, it's pretty functional. Source: am an ISP tech that uses eeros

To contribute, I know there are much MUCH worse industrial / enterprise backend systems out there but the worst thing I have to interact with occasionally is the copper-circuit order entry system for Centurylink / Lumen, EASE. Look at this garbo:

there are several tabs of this, in a window that you cannot resize. Some of the fields have tooltips.

It's also that perfect mix where since I only have to mess with it like once every few weeks there's no possible way I'll ever gain an intuitive grasp of what the gently caress all these acronyms are. Putting in a 'please turn off this DSL' can take half an hour if it doesn't like the address for some godforsaken reason.

That looks like it was converted thirty years ago from an even older COBOL data entry system on an IBM mainframe 3270 terminal.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

CAD programs in general are very opaque, but a particular bugbear of mine is the AutoCAD printing interface:

Thankfully these days I only have to print other people's drawings so if they've set it up right I don't have to fiddle with the settings but it used to be a nightmare to do print to scale, print to fit, colour, anything to do with plot style etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I need to press 5+ secs one specific button in my microwave to set the clock. Only the manual tells about the feature.