Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
She's a rich celeb that people have decided to project all their ideals on, which never backfires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

If you dig deep into her activities, and sort through her sordid past you'll discover

that's completely impossible. Dolly is a pretty good person.

I'd like to think she's been around long enough that anything bad would have come out already. Just being a woman in entertainment in general and particularly with the vax stuff, the crazies have probably been looking.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Roasted Donut posted:

WE WANT BILL DANCE

Spiritually the correct answer

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pseudodragon posted:

I'd like to think she's been around long enough that anything bad would have come out already. Just being a woman in entertainment in general and particularly with the vax stuff, the crazies have probably been looking.

Yeah, she's Fred Rogers level of "what you see is exactly what she is". Which is astonishingly rare. I imagine that's why there are still people expecting another shoe to drop.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I still haven’t totally forgiven her for “5 to 9”

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zoran posted:

I still haven’t totally forgiven her for “5 to 9”

"9 to 5"? And do you mean the song or the movie? Or is that a "yes" question?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

9 to 5 (song) is a banger and I can't imagine anyone hating it so I can only assume they meant the movie

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
5 to 9 is a completely unnecessary Squarespace Super Bowl commercial that Dolly did glorifying side hustle culture.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
And she was paid for it. Who cares.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Judgy Fucker posted:

9 to 5 (song) is a banger and I can't imagine anyone hating it so I can only assume they meant the movie

The film was fun too though

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

She's a rich celeb that people have decided to project all their ideals on, which never backfires.

Me, a dummy: man that Dolly seems like a nice lady

You, a smart: lol Dolly is rich so surely she’s a bad person :smug:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

To be fair that is true like 99 times out of 100

Chris James 2 posted:

The film was fun too though

Never saw it, so couldn't say.

Anyway, OU sucks, hoping the Sooners don't earn their first loss to Kansas of the 21st century tomorrow. Distinct possibility!

Also, apparently the online reaction to the OU alts for tomorrow is fairly positive, which itself feels like a bad omen

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

And she was paid for it. Who cares.

Well it pretty directly undercuts the beatification narrative, plus several people didn’t get the reference so I was pointing it out

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Losin’ 5 to 9, just to give my son a living
Barely getting by, it’s all punting and no winning

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

General Dog posted:

GDT title right there, folks

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Judgy Fucker posted:

To be fair that is true like 99 times out of 100

For sure, but hedging your bet on someone who for their entire life has shown to be nothing but a good caring person because other people are lovely is a sad way to be. She’s totally an extreme exception to the rule.

It’s like looking at Mr. Rodgers and being like “idk he’s a shady fucker I bet, better not like him”

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

:drat:

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I’ll say it again, the nice part of having Urban Meyer as the coach of your favorite team is that it makes you have to drop all your illusions that being a great football coach means you’re a decent human being.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

Me, a dummy: man that Dolly seems like a nice lady

I just think the way people prostrate and infantilize themselves before celebrities is loving weird, and the “Comrade Dolly” phenomenon is just one example. I doubt she’s some demon but people act really bizarre if you suggest their country music mommy is imperfect.

[yes I realize this is a sports thread and debasing yourself for a famous and talented person is essential to sports fandom]

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I like and admire Dolly Parton for a lot of things, but any admiration I have for a celebrity will always come with the asterisk “as far as I know”

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I just think the way people prostrate and infantilize themselves before celebrities is loving weird, and the “Comrade Dolly” phenomenon is just one example. I doubt she’s some demon but people act really bizarre if you suggest their country music mommy is imperfect.

[yes I realize this is a sports thread and debasing yourself for a famous and talented person is essential to sports fandom]

wtf is Comrade Dolly?

I just like her because she's a nice lady and does nice things. I also met her once and she called me handsome :3:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Roasted Donut posted:

WE WANT BILL DANCE

Thirding this. Wish I was fishing with Bill Dance today.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

wtf is Comrade Dolly?

Probably me spending too much time on social media, but it’s what people call her whenever she expresses some standard liberal political belief. The guys from Trillbilly Worker’s Party (Kentuckian leftist podcast) love to gripe about this phenomenon.

https://twitter.com/thetrillbillies/status/1356662203538112512?s=21&t=tX2PLqj996Yun5IaOn6OoQ

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Dolly Parton rules for her very public good works for her community, most recently in fundraising for disaster victims and childhood literacy, and qualifying praise for her as contingent upon unknown evils solely because she's rich (through her own lifelong labor even as she came from nothing) is weird, and as a Tennessean, insulting, ok. :colbert:

That said, I imagine she has enough other poo poo going on to be goofing around with Lee Corso, fun as a picture as they might have been.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In conclusion, people are a land of contrasts

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well anyway lol there's a bluegrass bar in Nakashima called Rocky Top and this rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RyCvHVdaGs

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Peyton is the boring choice but I do prefer when they have somebody on who watches football instead of a random person who’s like “uhhh my brother in law is from Texas so I have to go with the Longhorns!” Feels like the only non-athlete they ever get who doesn’t do that is Eric Church.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

KKKLIP ART posted:

I think that’s too long sadly. Maybe if we cut out the middle.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Baylor losing to WVU is a bit of a surprise

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think Baylor may have lost a few too many pieces on defense last year. They should be still be as dangerous as anyone else in the conference over the course of the season, but they're not top-shelf this year.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Peyton is the boring choice but I do prefer when they have somebody on who watches football instead of a random person who’s like “uhhh my brother in law is from Texas so I have to go with the Longhorns!” Feels like the only non-athlete they ever get who doesn’t do that is Eric Church.

Joel McHale was fun because they ragged him for being a 3rd string TE at Washington and he ragged Peyton so hard they went to commercial early

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

I think Baylor may have lost a few too many pieces on defense last year. They should be still be as dangerous as anyone else in the conference over the course of the season, but they're not top-shelf this year.

Their defense took a step back, their offense, despite the 40 points they put up against WVU is really not good, and they were playing in Morgantown, where strange things can happen.

Does turn the heat down a bit on Neal Brown. I'd say he's still on the hot seat, but it's cooled a hair.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Disagree on the offense, I think it’s quite good, especially when Shapen isn’t getting blasted directly in the head after he’s already slid to the ground.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Huh. I wonder if Comrade Dolly is an offshoot of the Cornbread Communism memes that were popular a year or two back.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

My counterpoint to this is that Katy Perry was the best guest picker of all time even if she cursed my quarterback.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

My counterpoint to this is that Katy Perry was the best guest picker of all time even if she cursed my quarterback.

For every chaos celeb there are five Chainsmokers unfortunately.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I hope Alabama wins 3-0 this weekend and everyone is miserable

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I wonder if the outcry will be enough that the NCAA could grant a waiver to JMU to bowl if they finish like 10-2. They could plausibly "win" the Sun Belt East (though I don't believe they're eligible to go to the CCG, either).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I was not aware of the stat until radio today, but apparently Josh Heupel has never won a game as a head coach without scoring at least 30 points.

I don't know what to do with this information, just thought it was pretty wild.