Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The level of confidence Tennessee fans are showing about next week when they haven’t beaten Bama in 15 years just feels like tempting fate.

If Milroe is starting again that confidence is warranted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’ll feel better about next week if Tillman is good to go. I’m not feeling any confidence in beating Bama. My stance for this season is I’ll believe it when I see it

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

General Dog posted:

Texas State bulldozing App State is lowkey one of the weirder results of the year; that was a 31 point miss by the betting line

It has to be out best win since we moved up to the FBS.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

General Dog posted:

A lot of encouraging signs from the Aggies’ offense this week; offensive line seemed incrementally more cohesive, probably got the most capable performance we’ve seen from King yet, and most importantly the young receivers seem to be coming into their own.

Tonight wasn’t a win on the scoreboard, but taking it to the wire on national TV is a big save of face for the program.

Right up until the final goal line playcall that was universally derided with scorn and bewilderment, sure, I guess!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Chieves posted:

Right up until the final goal line playcall that was universally derided with scorn and bewilderment, sure, I guess!

But the fact remains that the winds seem to be moving the offense to merely bad instead of terrible, which is cause for celebration when you combine it with this defense.

Speaking of improvement to merely bad, UConn is on a 2-game winning streak and sitting pretty safely outside of FBS’s bottom 5.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Oh no, we suck again.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Andy Staples caught an errant Haynes King throw

lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Manoueverable posted:

Oh no, we suck again.

it was all going so well until y'all got DTR'd

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Auburn’s in full quit mode, they made Stetson look like fuckin Usain Bolt

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sans the Hunter touchdown, Robby Ashford was 12-of-37 for 102 yards. Probably at least half of those were him intentionally chucking it to the sideline at the least amount of pressure.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Zwabu posted:

If Milroe is starting again that confidence is warranted.

They’ve certainly looked like a better team so far but they’re still Bama and as vulnerable as they look now they can still roll over anyone on a good day.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht1yxwCmReg

Not sure if you'll ever see a better ST sequence from both teams. Tech with the perfect surprise onsides kick, but then the OkSt dude big-brain calls for a fair catch and draws an interference penalty

drat, some reel feels-bad for Tech there

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 9, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht1yxwCmReg

Not sure if you'll ever see a better ST sequence from both teams. Tech with the perfect surprise onsides kick, but then the OkSt dude big-brain calls for a fair catch and draws an interference penalty

drat, some reel feels-bad for Tech there

Seems like once everyone knows about this there will be no more successful onside kicks

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

OkSt dude big-brain calls for a fair catch and draws an interference penalty

That is amazing. I'd expect this to start being a go to counter to onsides.

But I imagine it will be super difficult to pull off since:

You can't signal until after the bounce, so timing can be tricky
The ball actually has to be heading toward you

I also imagine that stacking the line with 8 or so players all of whom are frantically signaling Fair Catch is not going to pass the smell test either.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1579000906418307073

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The level of confidence Tennessee fans are showing about next week when they haven’t beaten Bama in 15 years just feels like tempting fate.

We beat florida, seasons over in spirit, rest is gravy

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU was averaging 65 passing yards per game with Braxton Burmeister.

This week they took a safety on the team and moved him to QB.

He threw for 322 yards and a TD.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

a neat cape posted:

SDSU was averaging 65 passing yards per game with Braxton Burmeister.

This week they took a safety on the team and moved him to QB.

He threw for 322 yards and a TD.

to be fair, he did it against the most depleted Hawaii team thats ever existed

but i am glad they're keeping my NCAA 14 strats alive

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

We demolished Auburn and only really played about a third of a game to the level at which we should be playing. If we could play all four quarters like we did against Oregon, it would be great.

It is clear that Kendal Milton is not a long term solution for us at RB. Stats say he is the best RB on our roster but his hamstrings are made of playdough and he just stays banged up. Edwards and Robinson need to be getting the bulk of the carries. Robinson plays a lot like Chubb where he is a one cut bruiser, and we really haven't had that the last two seasons.

Stetson seems like he was playing hurt and just sailing balls. I get that our top 3 WRs are in some form of walking wounded status, but its gotten worse. On the other hand, his 64 yard touchdown run was cool, he always seemed quick but it was great to see him actually outrun a lot of the Auburn defenders.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Proteus Jones posted:

That is amazing. I'd expect this to start being a go to counter to onsides.

But I imagine it will be super difficult to pull off since:

You can't signal until after the bounce, so timing can be tricky
The ball actually has to be heading toward you

I also imagine that stacking the line with 8 or so players all of whom are frantically signaling Fair Catch is not going to pass the smell test either.

I’m not sure on the rules, but I imagine the ball has to be in the air to signal fair catch, so a rolling onside can’t be fair caught.

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
I believe you can’t fair catch a ball that’s already hit the ground, which is why onside kicks are kicked the way they are.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

Seems like once everyone knows about this there will be no more successful onside kicks

Yeah if this is a new rule it’s the dumbest rule I can imagine

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

ShortThug posted:

I believe you can’t fair catch a ball that’s already hit the ground, which is why onside kicks are kicked the way they are.

It can get one bounce in the NCAA. Dude galaxy brained the rules

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’m not sure on the rules, but I imagine the ball has to be in the air to signal fair catch, so a rolling onside can’t be fair caught.

From the rule book - a relevant portion

quote:

“during a free kick, a player of the receiving team in position to receive the ball has the same kick-catch and fair-catch protection whether the ball is kicked directly off the tee or is immediately driven to the ground, strikes the ground once and goes into the air in the manner of the ball kicked directly off the tee.”

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

They are trying to get rid of that high hop, that is the dangerous part in an onside kick. Teams will figure out a new way of kicking, getting it to roll more or whatever.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Yates posted:

They are trying to get rid of that high hop, that is the dangerous part in an onside kick. Teams will figure out a new way of kicking, getting it to roll more or whatever.

Yeah, it's all about a double bounce

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Rewatch the video. The ball never hits the ground. So the new rule doesn't even apply. The receiver gets catch protection regardless of if he had thrown a fair catch signal. (Although it was still incredibly smart!)

The ball would've had to have landed untouched or essentially been fumbled on the catch - where you can't hit the guy - for TTU to recover.

e: I conflated things in the second part. That part is more related to illegal touching than fair catch.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 9, 2022

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

it’s that time of year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt2BAfhUHX0

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Brady Cook is pee pee poo poo bad and it's a drat shame Drinkwitz still has a job.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Dango Bango posted:

Rewatch the video. The ball never hits the ground. So the new rule doesn't even apply. The receiver gets catch protection regardless of if he had thrown a fair catch signal. (Although it was still incredibly smart!)

The ball would've had to have landed untouched or essentially been fumbled on the catch - where you can't hit the guy - for TTU to recover.

e: I conflated things in the second part. That part is more related to illegal touching than fair catch.

I thought the same thing but when you slow it down and try frame by frame it kinda looks like it does.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
IMO unrank Bama and then give them #1 back when BoB leaves

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Bill O’Brien’s 2025 Crimson Tide

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
49-0 ::Unreal Tournament voice:: Holy poo poo.

I didn't realize that OU was so down. Riley really cleaned them out. Venables will get so much money to walk away when they eventually bring Heupel home.

Billy Napier better get some 4* and 5* guys in to carry his play calling ASAP. Appalling QB stats from AR, why not try putting an actual QB under center instead of a stellar athlete with a gimpy ankle?

:lol: thanks FSU for giving me some hope for the rivalry game.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

We knew UF was going to be a project, but I thought with good coaching we might see a bit more consistency.

AR can go off for 450 or sub100 week to week. Receivers never seem to get open. The defensive backfield gives HUGE cushions to receivers, and doesn’t play the ball in the air well (UF gave up conversions on 3rd down distances of 18, 22, and 19 in the fourth and Mizzou was 9/17 on 3rd all day). The front 7 against the run is hilariously inconsistent—probably 75/25 huge run vs overwhelming TFL.

On the bright side the OL seems to be pretty good, the running backs are consistent and we’ve cleaned up penalties A LOT over the first few weeks (we had 1 false start for 5yds yesterday, which is wild).

Napier’s play calling is dead conservative—hopefully just due to personnel—and it’s disheartening to see route trees within the sticks on 3rd like ALL THE loving TIME. Full BrianSchottenheimer.gif.

I’m starting to question the wisdom of bringing his ULL d-coordinator with him. He seems overmatched and has given up a loving TON of rush yards including 286 to loving USF. I’m hoping again this is a talent gap issue.

He will get time and I think he should—he needs it. I just wish there were more encouraging signs of progress.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Weird exchange between Deion Sanders and Eddie Robinson Jr. last night. I wonder if state troopers have ever had to protect coaches from each other.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1578936331685842945

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

PostNouveau posted:

Weird exchange between Deion Sanders and Eddie Robinson Jr. last night. I wonder if state troopers have ever had to protect coaches from each other.

What’s the back story here? The box score didn’t seem stupid or weird in anyway.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Looks to me like Deion didn't appreciate the perfunctory handshake. But that's something you are going to get time and again.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

What’s the back story here? The box score didn’t seem stupid or weird in anyway.

https://twitter.com/autryalexis/status/1578937654284288000

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeeMajors posted:

The other coach may have been upset about stuff Deion said earlier this week.

https://twitter.com/jlightsy7/status/1577046379956166656?s=46&t=ZVJ48rg_uXtH4FMfyGvHjw

The other angle adds a bit of context as well. I think Deion was pissed about the hand to the chest.

https://twitter.com/hbcusports/status/1578881157286232067?s=46&t=ZVJ48rg_uXtH4FMfyGvHjw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

LLCoolJD posted:

49-0 ::Unreal Tournament voice:: Holy poo poo.

I didn't realize that OU was so down. Riley really cleaned them out. Venables will get so much money to walk away when they eventually bring Heupel home.

alright so the big problem at ou is qb; dillon gabriel being out really hosed them and since spencer rattler is chasing sec glory they’re pretty empty at that position

the defense is bad because ou’s defense is always bad and traditionally they just scheme around it

i think venables can get it turned around but having to resort to installing the wildcat in a week against your biggest rival is not, uh, great?