Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

They're literally (voice) actors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

That video literally made my testicles retract into my abdomen

Like, compare it to HarmonQuest. They are actually doing DnD, where they are just having fun, and they bring in other actors too. It represents what playing DnD is actually like and while they are aware and acknowledge the audience in various ways, they aren't putting on what basically just seems like a scripted eye rolling overwrought radio show. Any emotional stuff is done at least partially tongue in cheek and it's them playing the characters, not theatre kids sobbing like they're being led to their own executions.

Never cared to check out anything CR, and that vid makes me really glad I haven't, goddamn.

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 21, 2022

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Antiquated Pants posted:

I started streaming on Twitch to give me an excuse to play some games again... I'm a standard unimpressive goon that does not care to be a creep or sex pest, what kind of drama can I kick up to generate subs????

Stream from your hot tub

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Justin Credible posted:

That video literally made my testicles retract into my abdomen

Like, compare it to HarmonQuest. They are actually doing DnD, where they are just having fun, and they bring in other actors too. It represents what playing DnD is actually like and while they are aware and acknowledge the audience in various ways, they aren't putting on what basically just seems like a scripted eye rolling overwrought radio show. Any emotional stuff is done at least partially tongue in cheek and it's them playing the characters, not theatre kids sobbing like they're being led to their own executions.

Never cared to check out anything CR, and that vid makes me really glad I haven't, goddamn.

:ok:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
How dare professional actors act in what's essentially community theater?! Why can't they be cool and detached like me, emotions are gay :rolleyes:

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Nothing moves me on a personal level like weepy theater kids who are professionally very successful crying. Oh how it hits me in the feels. Oh it's so very moving. Surely if you are not emotionally wrecked by pathetic displays of fake sobbing you truly are just a robot and are empty and dead inside. You got me.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Hey, you do you buddy :)
Good luck with your retracted testicles or whatever

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Stream from your hot tub

Do toaster reviews and you’ll get some followers.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Antiquated Pants posted:

I started streaming on Twitch to give me an excuse to play some games again... I'm a standard unimpressive goon that does not care to be a creep or sex pest, what kind of drama can I kick up to generate subs????

Stream yourself robbing a convenience store

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Do an escalating fake conflict with some other unimpressive goon like it's youtube in 2005, really kayfabe it up.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Toxic Mental posted:

How do people participate in these things and not die of cringe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TTz6v_XJWM&t=3404s

Dungeons and Dragons GONE EMOTIONAL

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

top ten times darksidephil was caught masturbating on stream

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

nothing wrong with theater and emotional performance in general, but that dnd video is indeed rife with 2nd hand embarrassment, goddamn.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Critical Role is pretty amazing. It's 4-5 hours of half improv storytelling and acting by professional voice actors every week. Many of them are theater trained and it shows. If you look at the moments without context, or without any exposure to Critical Role, it'll come off as wtf. Each "season" is an incredible story and adventure. Every character they play has depth added to them, love, drama, death, romances, and a whole lot of comedy to keep it sane.

It's just unfortunate that it's just too much content to follow every week, and each season is like 100+ episodes.. So 500+ hours per season. It's just too much time to keep up with for most people...

They do have an animated series on Amazon Prime. Season 1 is there, Season 2 is coming. It's pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvwxQSc-3os

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 21, 2022

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I don't follow it personally but it's quality theatre with added dice. Really if your own tabletop games only involve dick jokes and murder you're missing out on a lot of enjoyment of the hobby, you might not be a professional actor but it doesn't hurt to really ham it up.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Colonel Cancer posted:

I don't follow it personally but it's quality theatre with added dice. Really if your own tabletop games only involve dick jokes and murder you're missing out on a lot of enjoyment of the hobby, you might not be a professional actor but it doesn't hurt to really ham it up.

If people are enjoying their dick jokes and murder it sounds like they're enjoying it exactly as they want

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
the last time i played dnd in 2018 i made a guy called High Elf who was a regular elf that really liked getting high

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Philthy posted:

Critical Role is pretty amazing. It's 4-5 hours of half improv storytelling and acting by professional voice actors every week. Many of them are theater trained and it shows. If you look at the moments without context, or without any exposure to Critical Role, it'll come off as wtf. Each "season" is an incredible story and adventure. Every character they play has depth added to them, love, drama, death, romances, and a whole lot of comedy to keep it sane.

It's just unfortunate that it's just too much content to follow every week, and each season is like 100+ episodes.. So 500+ hours per season. It's just too much time to keep up with for most people...

They do have an animated series on Amazon Prime. Season 1 is there, Season 2 is coming. It's pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvwxQSc-3os

I bounced off CR since it didn't really work well for a work podcast for me, but I did like the animated series they're making of it.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

ilmucche posted:

If people are enjoying their dick jokes and murder it sounds like they're enjoying it exactly as they want

Also worth noting reducing yourself to a sobbing overwrought wreck isn't the only way you can ham stuff up. Ham usually doesn't even apply to overly emotional stuff, so idgi.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Sobbing like that happens maybe once every 200+ hours. So it's not like they're doing this every week, every hour. There are very emotional moments where a character they've been adventuring with for years dies. Stuff like that.

A good amount of the content is, indeed, dick jokes and murdering everyone.

And making fun of Matt, the DM.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 21, 2022

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
They allow pooping on Twitch?!!!

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
CritRole was like half a season of meaningfully interesting dnd content before the whole production became painfully boring and safe. I think the dm Matt wanted S2 to be more open ended, which just meant he had to narrate 60 shopping sessions because most of his players are Cowards

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i exclusively play improv/low rules games and it owns but i don't think i would enjoy a game w/ the expectation of taking it seriously enough to actually like sob about a character dying lol

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

posting lots of words about twitch yeah

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Justin Credible posted:

Yet someway, somehow, the comments are more cringe than the content. And the video itself is like, shockingly embarrassing. Is CR just DnD for normies? Never in my life have I heard or seen anyone trying to get anywhere close to that level in DnD. DnD is like an improv session, who the hell does weepy loving improv. It's like a loving funeral of some beloved musician or something. Utter madness.
Honestly, it's the same as tearing-up at a movie. Those people are doing the same thing loving CATE BLANCHETT and her ILK do and win awards for. However, on CR they arguably have more invested in their characters, so it's more genuine. I dunno how some of y'all can be so critical (pun intended) at this stuff when you've watched the last avengers movie unironically

Not to mention, the budget of the show must be extremely low and gets some 100k+ viewers. They're talented people.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Pontificating rear end posted:

Honestly, it's the same as tearing-up at a movie. Those people are doing the same thing loving CATE BLANCHETT and her ILK do and win awards for. However, on CR they arguably have more invested in their characters, so it's more genuine. I dunno how some of y'all can be so critical (pun intended) at this stuff when you've watched the last avengers movie unironically

because it's "cringe", so they say

(they're right of course, always are)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Watch out bro your balls might retract in your rear end in a top hat and you'll be even cringier than pretending to be an elf. Don't do it brahhh

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
The Critical Role stuff is cool in its own sincere geek way but it’s like comparing mold to algae since it’s all watching other people have a good time and the parasocial phenomenon kicks in and suddenly you’re doing the same thing that you mock the older generation doing - watching a lot of TV.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I don't mock anyone for watching tv, tv is cool

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

As long as it's not hurting anyone I have no problem with people doing the things they find fun, even if it's cringe. In fact I encourage it.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

you've watched the last avengers movie unironically

Sir this is slander and I will not tolerate it

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Bobcats posted:

The Critical Role stuff is cool in its own sincere geek way but it’s like comparing mold to algae since it’s all watching other people have a good time and the parasocial phenomenon kicks in and suddenly you’re doing the same thing that you mock the older generation doing - watching a lot of TV.

Yeah, it feels like D&D streams are uniquely bad about building parasocial delusions. You can talk about the storytelling and theatrical component all you want, but ultimately it's people playing a game that was meant to be fun and entertaining for the people playing it. Putting an audience in the room (or, more accurately, at the end of a computer where they watch it by themselves) can easily cause the audience to blur those lines. Then you get stuff like people getting deeply, personally upset because they didn't like how a campaign on The Adventure Zone went.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
alternate take: it is exactly the same as watching tv, a movie, or sportsball and getting too invested

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The aew wrestlers playing d&d was cool, they took turns eating rotten horse meat and bought/did drugs

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yep a lot of tv content is very embarrassing to watch as well

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So is twitch getting sued yet for all the people that broke their back in the ball pit of death or

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Geoff Bezos will call their families and tell them they knew what they signed up for.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

alternate take: it is exactly the same as watching tv, a movie, or sportsball and getting too invested

I mean, yeah. Being too invested is the problem. The thing is, most movies/tv/sporting events result in a vanishingly small number of overly-attached parasocial fans. Meanwhile, those type of fans make up a frightening large number of the audience for the various D&D shows out there. So it's clear that there is something to the format itself that either attracts the unwell or causes people to develop unhealthy attachments.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, yeah. Being too invested is the problem. The thing is, most movies/tv/sporting events result in a vanishingly small number of overly-attached parasocial fans. Meanwhile, those type of fans make up a frightening large number of the audience for the various D&D shows out there. So it's clear that there is something to the format itself that either attracts the unwell or causes people to develop unhealthy attachments.

I disagree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I enjoy what streaming has done because it has added a few more easily spotted red flags to the social atmosphere.