Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

DTurtle posted:

Optimism? From our coach? :aaaaa:

Please don’t jinx it :cheeky:

By my count, this is our head coach's 28th season. A long career, and it sounds like he's got something else lined up... is he gonna retire after this year, win or lose??? Is this our last chance?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
World championship is too easy :smuggo:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Honestly? If you're from Europe, yeah. Maybe some South American clubs can compete with a European Cup champ, but Asia/Oceania and MEA are huge underdogs. Which is kind of reflective of reality, since European football IRL generally doesn't care much about the CWC, while in South America it's a pretty big deal.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Coaches Report: Winter 2050

Resources

Glory - 2.32K
Money - 50.2M
Fans - 32.8K

A number of forwards about to get upgrades.

Extensions

GK Cowardchen - 3 years, 8.94M
DF Kangra - 2 years, 3.28M
CD stab - 3 years, 4.10M
LD/RD The Mattybee - 1 year, 980k
D DoubleTurtle - 3 years, 214k
CF Twovery Best - 1 year, 286k
CF/AM blackmongoose - 2 years, 1.47M

Total - ~19.3M for contract extensions if all players are retained. This would leave about 30.9M for other purposes.

Upgrades

We are 2,764 Fans or 9.2% over our current capacity of 30,000. I'm not putting it on the ballot, coaches can write it in if they wish, since it seems highly unlikely it would get any support.

The Youth Academy is maxed out, and can support 12 additional staff upgrades.

The Training Grounds can support 3 additional staff upgrades

The Medical Centre can support 4 additional staff upgrades.

Youth

Cannon Shot is the skill. Kind of a weird one as if things go well they don't get to do hardly anything, but still ...

There are two tiers of Youth Work; only one request per transfer window.

For 127 Glory:

- Request Amateur
- Request Random; advanced class chosen at random within each position group, i.e. LM, CM, etc. for Midfielders.

For each of these, please include the position group. For example, 'Request Random Forward' or 'Request Amateur Defender'.

- 2-player Youth Rivalry

For 287 Glory:

- Request Specific. Same as the previous requests, but we can name the advanced class we want, such as 'Request Sweeper' or 'Request Attacking Midfielder'. We can now make this request for all position groups.
- 3-player Youth Rivalry

Important Note: If you vote for something we don't have the Glory for, your vote will be nullified. Also, if you vote in such a way that it could be taken as multiple options such as 'Request Forward' or 'Youth Rivalry', that will also be nullified until you clarify your intent. This is necessary to ensure all votes are counted accurately, and are for proposals that can actually be enacted.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Individual Instructions

3TatoManJack - First skill trainable.

AJ_IImpy - back to Dedication tree, 70% first then complete it, then complete the Talent tree. Stamina tree, upper left first, then right, then complete the tree.

blackmongoose - +30% XP

ChicoTR - Dedication Tree left side first

Cowardchen - HT Stamina Recovery

DoubleTurtle - DF

Dragongem2 - Fan Favorite Tree.

Grouiik - finish the Dedication Tree.

iltwocche - finish Dedication Tree

Kangra - Fan Favourite Tree, Glory boost first

Kantwohlu - +70% XP, followed by Unlocking Level 2 skill.

KG3 - 70% XP boost, Fan Favourite Sponsor Bonus

The Mattybee - Finish dedication tree starting with 70% XP Boost.

Nizahaha - L3 Olympic Kick, finish out the Dedication tree, +70% XP and then 3 point Focus.

PokiiTax - Substitute Fatigue Recovery

pthighs - Stamina Tree, left side first.

stab - Fan Favourite Tree, starting with sponsor bonus

Twackles - the right side of the Stamina tree (increased recovery), followed by Fan Favorite top left (glory bonus) and then Stamina: injury chance reduction (middle left).

Tworrannor - Stamina tree, right side first.

Twovery Best - Stamina tree, starting with the skill on the right.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 8, 2024

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Coaches Ballot

Player Sales
Youth Signing
Club Upgrades

It is not required to vote on all proposals to submit a ballot; anything you don't include will be counted as abstaining.

It's Voting Time.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

PokeyTax posted:

this is our head coach's 28th season. A long career, and it sounds like he's got something else lined up... is he gonna retire after this year, win or lose??? Is this our last chance?????

The Manager likes to finish what he starts, and I had an LP or two recently that I ended up not doing that with. I plan on getting all the way to the finish line.

I'm also of two minds about it; it would be tedious to go another three (or more) years if we were to fail this, but I also don't think we really deserve to win quite yet either.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I propose the "reasonable we don’t want this LP to end" plan:

Sell all non 5 star players
Sign Kronburger (he has five stars)
Hire two forwards coaches
Three player youth rivalry

The unreasonable plan would be to sell everyone.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Sign the RM. We have a surplus of already-good wing forwards, one more won't actually get good until a lot later, but an RM has abilities useful from day 1 for many of our tactics, and the Cannon Shot 1 doesn't hurt either.
Sell nobody.
Win it all.

I don't think we "don't deserve it," honestly. If we can win it, we deserve it. Also I think if you keep grinding to the point where you really do have the best players, the game becomes boring - since the AI cannot surprise you with strategy and only occasionally with tactics (and it can't really build teams), at that point you're competing against the RNG. Better to end it when at least some clubs still have some weapons they can use against you, and you need to figure out a way to counter that with the imperfect resources at your disposal.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
An incomplete vote was in this spot, but it has since been updated below.

As penance, here is cat tax.

ShadowedFlames fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 8, 2024

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Tevery Best posted:

Sign the RM.
Sell nobody.
Win it all.

ChicoTheRainmaker
Oct 22, 2008

Tevery Best posted:

Sign the RM. We have a surplus of already-good wing forwards, one more won't actually get good until a lot later, but an RM has abilities useful from day 1 for many of our tactics, and the Cannon Shot 1 doesn't hurt either.
Sell nobody.
Win it all.

This + 2 Head Physios. Our time is now.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Hey guys, don’t forget to spend our glory :)

And I hope it is clear that my proposal isn’t meant seriously - I want it to fail

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

DTurtle posted:

Hey guys, don’t forget to spend our glory :)

gently caress, I knew I forgot something! (Grumble mutter bloody work mutter grumble)

Updated vote below, I will edit my previous vote out momentarily.

Sign the RM.
Sell nobody.
Two (2) Head Physios.

If there is a chance to win it before other clubs find a better defense against us, I say take that chance.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

ShadowedFlames posted:

Sign the RM.
Sell nobody.
Two (2) Head Physios.

This is my vote too.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Tevery Best posted:

Sign the RM.
Sell nobody.
Win it all.

Some tweaks, but Plan Tevery Best is fundamentally the way to go.

Sell Odder Wilson
Sign RM Kapmeier
Hire 2 Head Physios
3-player Youth Rivalry

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

DTurtle posted:

Sell all non 5 star players

Time for me to be that guy again.

This vote is voided on the grounds that it is impossible. We are required to retain at least 11 players so we can field a functional squad. It hasn't come up since the early years, but the game flat-out doesn't allow you to sell players below that limit.

We have 5 5* players, half of what we'd need.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Things looking good for the crabs, I feel like PMJ3 has joined at the right time to ride the coattails of the team to victory :)

Just gonna add onto individual instructions as I believe he'll be hitting 1st skill soon, so once that's complete, I'd say move him back to increased exp gain

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Sign the RM
No Sales
Max the training ground
Upgrade the Med Center
Hire 2 forward coaches
3 player rivalry

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I made 200 Defence!

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

Time for me to be that guy again.

This vote is voided on the grounds that it is impossible. We are required to retain at least 11 players so we can field a functional squad. It hasn't come up since the early years, but the game flat-out doesn't allow you to sell players below that limit.

We have 5 5* players, half of what we'd need.
Darn ;)

I vaguely remembered that the game would fill up the team with amateur players if not enough players were available, so I thought it might be possible. I guess that can nly occur through injuries, red cards and retirements.

Oh well, I guess that means that this LP might end soon. 😭

Nizaha
Oct 12, 2021
Sign RM Kapmeier
Hire 2 Head Physios
3-player Youth Rivalry

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nizaha posted:

Hire 2 Head Physios
3-player Youth Rivalry

updating my vote to add these

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Twovery Best posted:

I don't think we "don't deserve it," honestly. If we can win it, we deserve it.

I think this is clearly not true. There's *lots* of champions in sports, and other historical happenings as well, that have more to do with luck. I think all you have to do is look at the fact that we've had two matches decided by penalties in this run that would have kicked us out of the European Cup. Both times the other club scored once. That's the rough equivalent of a hail-mary in football, a full-court heave in basketball, or rolling double-sixes in some sort of dice-based game.

It happens, but it's not the deserved result; you can happen to win without being the side that should have won. We've lost a number of penalty shootouts in this LP, and not because I was any worse at them; they are glorified coin-flips. It's luck, and nothing else, that got us through those and other matches (and also caused some to be closer than they should be of course, but in this challenge it's far more relevant when lucks helps you since any Cup loss can be fatal)

I also think people continue to gloss over far too easily how fortunate we are on the weak era side. Went back at look at Paris's run in the 20s - six years as the best Premier League club. Never fewer than 75 pts, and three times in the 80s. This is the first year that we'd even have a chance of competing against somebody like that.

I agree that it gets boring once your club gets too good, but some of the AI clubs can be well-put together on occasion, even if it is just a broken clock phenomenon, there are a lot of them out there. Italy being as bad as they are is highly unlikely, and we aren't close to having all the best players yet; there are always other clubs with 10-12 5*s, we have an elite GK but he's not fully developed yet, there are still holes in the squad, etc. Part of the not deserving it bit is that we've gotten away with quite a bit more brute-forcing than we would if we were facing a peak Paris or Dortmund or one of the strong Italian clubs from the past or West London happened to beat us last year or any number of other pitfalls that could have occurred. Coaches would have had to learn more squad-building, and the 'eh, just throw together good players and make it work' concept would be much less effective.

We've learned a fair amount in that direction, but not as much as we should have had to. I'm not convinced that's for the best.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

you can only beat the team in front of you

they don't ask how they ask how many

Grouiiik
Sep 8, 2023

Nizaha posted:

Sign RM Kapmeier
Hire 2 Head Physios
3-player Youth Rivalry

This plan for me !

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Indecision Report

In the 'stuff that was proposed and never seconded' category we have selling Odder Wilson, upgrading the Training Grounds, and upgrading the Medical Centre.

Staff Upgrades had a bit of a dispute, 14 votes for Head Physio and 4 for Forward Coaches, so we get two of the Head Physios. We're at 3.5* there and up to a 17% reduction in injury chances.

Youth Work almost went down to defeat via apathy, which would have been a first. 6 for 3 player Rivalry, and 4 for doing nothing. There seems to be an overly justified amount of just assuming we're going to win.

We also rejected a 5* Youth Signing for the first time, clearly choosing RM Kapmeier by a 9 to 1 vote.

Just under 31M Money is left, along with 281 Glory.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Neo-Nea is the new name. We'll need an attribute focus at least, and anything else that might be desired.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I'm not keeping up with the thread anymore, please assign my guy to the next person.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

The ping is passed along then to Arctworas.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Excelent passing skill.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The return of the midfield!

Let's focus on passing, and crosstraining to left midfielder. After that, second skill trainable then two points in focus, I'll figure out something from there. (Probably 30% xp, three points in focus, third skill level trainable, who knows, feel free to do that if you need instructions and I don't respond.)

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I've put most of that in the list. FYI while there's no need to do anything about it now, you can't do 3 Point in Focus before having all of the other Dedication perks in place.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

I've put most of that in the list. FYI while there's no need to do anything about it now, you can't do 3 Point in Focus before having all of the other Dedication perks in place.

Oh, I think I got the order of that and 70% xp backwards. Either way I imagine the LP will end before we get there.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Crab champions. Crabions

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

2.4 Backpfeifengesichter @ Augsburg
National Cup Quarterfinals, 1st Leg

We have snow, and one of those formations where we have to give up something.

6' - Cowardchen keeps a power shot in.

20' - iltwocche intercepts a L3 long pass at midfield. They had a cannon shot set up if that went through. Instead, Tworrannor gets a break-in and scores one of his own! 1-0.

32' - Another power shot, and Augsburg gets a corner kick. stab intercepts, then blocks a shot after losing possession to a slide tackle.

45' - ChicoTR avoids a L3 slide tackle to end a half that made me very nervous.

50' - Successful break-in by AJ_IImpy, but again no penalty and GK Gallina won't surrender a corner on the power shot.

90' - The skills have more success both ways this half. Vielhaber gets another power shot at the end, but it's handled once more.

Good enough. I feel we were a bit lucky here, could have a bad day but it wasn't. Coach Level 67, and I grab more Glory just because.

AJ_IImpy grabs 2 Point in Focus.

2.6 Backpfeifengesichter (10-5-2, 1st) @ Mainz (5-9-3, 7th)

Minor Fatigue: stab, Kantwohlu, AJ_IImpy, Tworrannor
Moderate Fatigue: iltwocche

6' - Filigranin flanks right and gets them a power shot, which just got by KG3. Corner kick: CD Sternfeld of L3 Head Play is narrowly outjumped by CD GladRagKraken of L1. 56 to 55 on the roll, their CD had a max of over 150. Yep, we don't get lucky, we're just that good. Keep telling yourself that.

22' - Then it doesn't matter, because we can't clear it effectively enough, and Loidl gets a straight-on cannon shot. 1-0. We take advantage of their deep line and set up a cross, Nizahaha to Twovery Best. GK Fauner tells the senior citizen to sit down and shut up. It was basically even odds, TB2 had the slightest of edges but it didn't work out.

42' - Slide tackle by ChicoTR sets up another chance, and this one scores. 1-1.

45' - Another save by Cowardchen on Filigranin keeps us even.

52' - Twovery Best scores again. 2-1. KG3 makes a stop on the other end.

90' - A standard precision shot at the end isn't quite good enough to score, but we still get the win by a goal and Twovery Best adds to his club record for MoM. Arctworas performs the vital act of effectively standing around and losing the ball to opposing tacklers so that other players didn't have to expend the energy to do so. Not a bad debut.

3TatoManJack gets first skill trainable and is out of instructions. That might even matter if we don't finish out the year successfully. L2 Cannon Shot training begins.

2.9 Backpfeifengesichter @ Kyiv
European Cup Round of 16, 1st Leg

Minor Fatigue: BraveLThreester, Kantwohlu, ChicoTR, Nizahaha
Moderate Fatigue: KG3, Twovery Best, iltwocche

There ought to be a law against having three away matches in six days. That's my best excuse if we fail today. Fortunately for us, Kyiv has an eclectic group of skills that don't really work all that well together.

HT - Both sides had multiple crucial defensive plays to make, and both sides made all of them. No real chances either way.

52' - I pondered bringing in Grouiiik at the half, but decided against it. I liked our odds of drawing a penalty, but Tworrannor was unable to do so. He did get a corner for us, which left me with the same question again. This time I made the call, taking out ChicoTR. Entry passes aren't likely to be easy, so we'll skip that.

An important play, probable score but not certain; thankfully only the keeper really has a decent shot at it. Decent header and a bad reaction by Balkan put us in front 1-0.

70' - They demonstrate how useful it is to loft a pass to a L3 Head Play midfielder such as MF Nagasawa, as one does, leading to a power shot that Kangra deflects.

Our Man of the Match made a few different plays, none of them worth mentioning individually but still solid. Another match that wasn't a guaranteed win, but we got the one play to take the lead.

This ends our first potentially dangerous stretch. We should be able to keep it going until late March into April, when we get to the business end of the Cups and the traditional worst fixture density of the schedule.

2.13 Paderborn (3-6-9, 18th) @ Backpfeifengesichter (11-5-2, 1st)

Minor Fatigue: pthighs, ChicoTR, Tworrannor, Grouiiik, Twovery Best, KG3
Moderate Fatigue: iltwocche

A gratuitous shot of our ground and the snow of the day. Who knows how much more we'll see this.

6' - Break-in, and two tackles are evaded without getting a call. Corner kick, and we get the pass in to AJ_IImpy. Could have gone either way on that, but he scores on a Rainbow Feint. 1-0.

Late in the first half this happens ... close tackle from behind just missed by IImpy. Missed the chance to have Arcturas and Arctworas in the same match.

HT - Twackles is tired, there's a lot of 'fun' to be had with the snow causing problems for our skills. blackmongoose is in, and also 3TatoManJack.

60' - Angled shot from distance for blackmongoose, gets by a couple of defenders but doesn't score.

FT - Nizahaha gets the honors this time. We've returned to the fun of consistent 1-0 victories.

2.20 Freiburg (7-4-8, 9th) @ Backpfeifengesichter (12-5-2, 1st)

Minor Fatigue: AJ_IImpy, Nizahaha, Twackles, blackmongoose

This is one of those matches we still have occasionally where we have to bite the bullet; there's no good way to put a quality scoring threat out there without compromising our Cup squad in a few days.

16'- They get a power shot by Notgonnaspellhisnamerite on the counter, Cowardchen handles it.

62' - Not the most impressive clearance ever gets them another one, and a corner kick. The traditional 'double pass' play - one out to midfield, another into the box - gets Tettelbach a rainbow feint. 1-0.

86' - Nizahaha long pass to 3TatoManJack cannon shot sets up a corner kick. Twovery Best scores on a cross to make Freiburg cry. 1-1. GladRagKraken blocks a last-second shot.

We hold a seven-point lead in the league and a one-goal lead going into the second match of each of our current Cups. That'll do.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

quote:

3TatoManJack gets first skill trainable and is out of instructions. That might even matter if we don't finish out the year successfully. L2 Cannon Shot training begins.

Probably doesn't matter, but finish up L2 Cannon and then move to increased xp gain next level

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Does that make IImpy the first crab to injure a former crab?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Denied a midfield faceoff! Impy, watch your back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Arcturas posted:

Denied a midfield faceoff! Impy, watch your back.

Injury duration 1d. Oldturas was wimping out of facing Newturas with something he could easily have run off.