Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I bought Turok 2 for the N64, used, I believe at a price of $25, oh, around '99/2000 I guess. Never finished it, though I did try. Mercy, what a slog, on a Sharp 20" TV with an N64 controller. Back then, I really finished games, beat 'em 100%, but not this one. (Part of it was being a dang adult with work and school.)

I re-bought it this summer--in its PC port form--for seven bucks, and have been playing it in bits and pieces since then, armed with a mouse and a computer monitor.

It has its fun or remarkable moments, and it has this "visiting the museum of my past" thing going for it. The atmosphere is decent. But overall it's still kinda boring. With 2022 eyesight, I'm seeing lots of bewildering mazes, bullet-sponge minibosses, and here's a 1999 feature bullet: having to return to levels with tools so you can get more keys, in order to pad out gameplay.

It's strangely motivating: I'm finally gonna finish the damned thing, and knowing that is part of the fun. Turok 2, finally going to beat you.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SalTheBard posted:

I remember Turok 2 being substantially harder than Turok 1. I remember T1 being a pretty general fps and T2 was way more open world and was sort of a "Metroidvania" style with items in one world needed to progress in another

Pretty much. I may redo Turok 1 at one point, though I beat it back in the day. (I recall I used an invulnerability cheat twice, once during a horrible jumping puzzle above a lava bed, and once during the interminably long final boss battle).

I'm not a big metroidvania guy, but here's my breakdown:

The pathway to completion for Turok 2 is actually pretty linear in my opinion. There are just a handful of items, which you can optionally go back for once you have a new ability. Some, you have to go back for, they're literal keys to another level (not within the level, but to the level itself), or arbitrary parts of a "nuke weapon" that I imagine I'll need in the endgame. Or, they're an ability you need to have to get one of these parts.

These new abilities are entirely dependent upon specially marked locations in the levels, you can't just use them anywhere, so they aren't actually empowering.

Speaking of empowering, the weapons are really good for the time. It feels really good to just run up to a lizard alien and one-shot him with an arm razor while he's winding up a shooting animation that once really annoyed you. It's especially fun to fire a brain-seeking drill drone at normally bullet-spongey alien, especially when they would otherwise take big bites out of you.

The way levels occasionally fork isn't terribly interesting, and doesn't feel like exploration to me, they're just alternative winding paths that might or might not be the "way" to a given level's completion objectives. I spent time redoing the Blind Ones level twice over, for pathways that I hadn't taken before, or missed, and it felt arbitrary rather than exploratory.

Also, since the level design is very samey and the textures remain almost identical throughout, it's easy to feel lost. More than once I've retraced a path I was 80% sure I'd been through before, just to make sure. And then they often end in identical rooms with identical teleporters, which lead to other tunnels I may or may not have been to.

As a metroidvania, I find it rather uncompelling.

I realize I've been very down on Turok 2, it's really not bad, but playing it in 2022, I'm as often reminded why I set it down and moved on, as I am of how awesome it was.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 24, 2022

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

sigher posted:

the Cerebral Boar
If only