Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

I had this exact thought, OP, when I wanted to play a roguelike. So I fired up Deep Dungeons of Doom and started racking up sweet sweet steam trading cards and achievements.

The game has a 16-bit medieval fantasy aesthetic and seems designed with mobile UI in mind. I start as a Crusader and travel an overworld map to a dungeon which has battles, loot, and magical shrines. Each encounter includes decision-making and brings me one room closer to the Boss! Fighting is real-time and has attacking and blocking as the main actions. I wait for a timer bar to fill up to attack, while keeping an eye on enemy animations to anticipate when to also block. Sometimes after victory the enemy drops something and I choose whether to take it or leave it since I have one slot for gear and another for a potion. Shrine rooms apply a buff slot if I choose to pray, but the effects seem to be random!

The Boss fight is a tougher fight and has some mechanics I have to figure out through trial and error like waiting for them to reveal their weak spot before attacking. At the same time I have to time up more and varied attack patterns for blocking.

After a few dungeons I am joined by a new adventurer and thus gain the option to play as them. Pure DnD vibes, even matching the 'paladin interacting with a warlock' vibe in the cutscene dialogue.

Overall, very happy with having another roguelike itch scratched and another notch on my games played belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU