Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

fuckin incredible poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9_n6wwkIHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEFPcljAXgs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8-P8sJNHk0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
All the shots of Tom Cruise in Collateral were filmed through a microscope and then super imposed onto footage of the other actors in "real life, big people environments".

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
"Hey buddy, I'm just a cab driver trying to get home."

~Unknown, Collateral

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yo Homie, that my briefcase?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

kntfkr posted:

All the shots of Tom Cruise in Collateral were filmed through a microscope and then super imposed onto footage of the other actors in "real life, big people environments".

I'm more put off by his creepy off-center teeth than his hobbit-like size:

But both traits plus being a scientologist are strong indicators that he's not actually human...

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Extra Large Marge posted:

Yo Homie, that my briefcase?

They probably had to shoot that scene 25 times and Cruise was still fast as gently caress

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Because he went all crazy afterwards and no one liked him again until they made a movie of him cathartically dying over and over

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I'm not joking. Edge of Tomorrow loving saved Tom's career, and he should be kissing every producer's rear end on that film

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm not joking. Edge of Tomorrow loving saved Tom's career, and he should be kissing every producer's rear end on that film

I saw that in theaters and liked the close up of his face burned off from a claymore that lingered for 10 seconds

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

And even then they still tried to sabotage it by marketing the movie as "LIVE DIE REPEAT" to confuse people looking for it at the theater.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
because he is a scientologist

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

the only good Michael Mann movie is Thief

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i thought edge of tomorrow was a teledildonics thing

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Because that was Thom Crews moran. :jerkbag:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Traxis posted:

the only good Michael Mann movie is Thief

Ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

hosed up that that's not even the best gun fight in Heat

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Nae posted:

Its the best gun fight ever filmed, what are you talking about

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Because he went all crazy afterwards and no one liked him again until they made a movie of him cathartically dying over and over

tropic thunder was the film that saved his career, op since after that movie he made knight & day, valkyrie, ghost protocol, oblivion and jack reacher and they all made between 200-700mill individually

playing that insane producer made america love him again

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Nae posted:

I wonder how long you'd have to practice to reload as fast as Val Kilmer

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's a good movie OP

haljordan posted:

I wonder how long you'd have to practice to reload as fast as Val Kilmer
Probably not too much nowadays

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
It's so political, you know...

But weirdly Jamie Foxx got nominated for supporting for Collateral and Cruise was not nominated at all were you would think he could have had a shot if you said it was supporting.

Jamie Foxx then won best actor for Ray, so he was up for lead and supporting the same year.

I think Cruise could have won for Born on the 4th of July if his competition wasn't Daniel Day Lewis that year.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Hard Boiled says hello

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

do we not count the end of Heat at the shipyard as a fight because they mostly aren't shooting?

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

rain dogs posted:

Hard Boiled says hello

The Killer has better gunfights than Hard Boiled

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

hard counter posted:

tropic thunder was the film that saved his career, op since after that movie he made knight & day, valkyrie, ghost protocol, oblivion and jack reacher and they all made between 200-700mill individually

playing that insane producer made america love him again
Eh, maybe it helped his career, but I cannot honestly believe Tom Cruise's likeability improved after his meltdown, until EoT.

That movie solved the "Tom Cruise Problem". His character starts off as a smug out-of-touch prick (much like Tom's public perception at the time), to dying over and over in varyingly cathartic ways, until the film eventually makes you empathize with the character—and by proxy, the actor as well. It was a goddamn magic trick.

Watching Tom dance around as a fat balding hairy jerk couldn't hope to come anywhere close to that.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 12, 2022

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I dont particularly like Tom Cruise or Jamie Fox, but Collateral is one of my favorite movies. Both actors are used perfectly and the action, sound, and visuals are all awesome. Tom Cruise is the best when he is a wacko

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

uber hosed jamie foxx

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The oscars are rigged!!!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Watching Tom dance around as a fat balding hairy jerk couldn't hope to come anywhere close to that.

Incorrect

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpcXv_ra65M

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Collateral club shoot out has excellent early 2000s techno

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

My favorite detail about this scene has always been that you can see Cruise grab the wallet that got taken from Foxx at 1:20. Everything they have him do in this film rides the line where you can ask, "is it to protect Max or is it to remain professional?" because it'd have been so easy to leave the wallet there and pin the crime on him. Guy was lying about being a sociopath the whole time. Really smartly written and directed OP agreed

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Really smartly written and directed OP agreed

That's because Michael Mann made it.
Speaking of, anyone read Heat 2?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

It’s because the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences are a bunch of out-of-touch “LALALALALA CAN’T HEAR YOU LALALALALA!” *index fingers in ears* fart-huffing tools, OP, and have been making a lot of bad decisions for decades now.

Although Jamie Foxx was great in Ray.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 12, 2022

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Keanu Reeves did a bunch of combative to prepare for roles too and seems a lot more chill about it, OP.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

honestly, and not just to be a contrarian, but who really cares about the Oscars at this point? I'll generally look at a list of what was nominated for best picture and check a few of those out, but the most part I just find some reviewers online that I like and check out movies the recommend.

Honestly look at the movie Pig from this last year. Great movie in my book, solid direction, good writing, nick cage gives arguably his best performance in years. It won't even be mentioned at the oscars.

None of this is even mentioning that the entire creation of the oscars was a scheme cooked up to keep actors competing with eachother so they wouldn't unionize (which they did anyways).
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2014/02/secret-oscar-history

The Oscars are loving stupid OP, and not just because it's edgy to say so. It's because they are essentially a giant Pay-to-play scheme that's meant to keep the same companies making money and keeping as much of that money out of the hands of the people who make them as possible.

EDIT: But tom cruise was pretty dope in collateral, I'll give you that.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Good sound. IRL gunshots are really loving loud and almost no action movies effectively convey this. I know it's usually impractical to record it live like in Heat, but come on other movies, get some better stock sounds :mad:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Skeleton Ape posted:

Good sound. IRL gunshots are really loving loud and almost no action movies effectively convey this. I know it's usually impractical to record it live like in Heat, but come on other movies, get some better stock sounds :mad:

I still love the story about how Heat actually sounded like a gunfight because LA just echoed everything and they scrapped their plans to overdub it once they watched it.

I hear gunshots on a daily basis in my neighborhood and I agree, most media gun sounds are just weak as gently caress.

Michael Mann is a top-notch genre filmmaker who actively learns from everything he does.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

MrQwerty posted:

I still love the story about how Heat actually sounded like a gunfight because LA just echoed everything and they scrapped their plans to overdub it once they watched it.

I hear gunshots on a daily basis in my neighborhood and I agree, most media gun sounds are just weak as gently caress.

Michael Mann is a top-notch genre filmmaker who actively learns from everything he does.

Except for the period where digital photography was still in it's infancy and he insisted on using it in movies where film would have looked amazing. It worked alright in collateral because of the gritty nature of LA, but trying to make a movie about John Dillinger with grainy rear end early digital cameras was dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

CJacobs posted:

My favorite detail about this scene has always been that you can see Cruise grab the wallet that got taken from Foxx at 1:20. Everything they have him do in this film rides the line where you can ask, "is it to protect Max or is it to remain professional?" because it'd have been so easy to leave the wallet there and pin the crime on him. Guy was lying about being a sociopath the whole time. Really smartly written and directed OP agreed

I like when he first comes into frame and quickly looks back to make sure no one is at the other end of the alley before he shoots those two dumb dumbs