Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Biohazard posted:

Except for the period where digital photography was still in it's infancy and he insisted on using it in movies where film would have looked amazing. It worked alright in collateral because of the gritty nature of LA, but trying to make a movie about John Dillinger with grainy rear end early digital cameras was dumb.

yeah that movie looks like poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Any part or scene from the police's perspective has really lovely exposition and generally just sucks. Maybe it's just because I hate Mark Ruffalo? Idk, but if so, I've long forgotten why, exactly. Also, the ending/climax is a little too 'movie' for my taste and doesn't quite match the feel of the best parts of the film.

Still, a solid flick with great lead performances, making it an easy recommend.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Biohazard posted:

honestly, and not just to be a contrarian, but who really cares about the Oscars at this point? I'll generally look at a list of what was nominated for best picture and check a few of those out, but the most part I just find some reviewers online that I like and check out movies the recommend.

Honestly look at the movie Pig from this last year. Great movie in my book, solid direction, good writing, nick cage gives arguably his best performance in years. It won't even be mentioned at the oscars.

None of this is even mentioning that the entire creation of the oscars was a scheme cooked up to keep actors competing with eachother so they wouldn't unionize (which they did anyways).
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2014/02/secret-oscar-history

The Oscars are loving stupid OP, and not just because it's edgy to say so. It's because they are essentially a giant Pay-to-play scheme that's meant to keep the same companies making money and keeping as much of that money out of the hands of the people who make them as possible.

EDIT: But tom cruise was pretty dope in collateral, I'll give you that.

That's true. I don't think the Oscar voting is taken too seriously and it's mostly an excuse for the movie industry to have a big fancy party with all their friends.

This interview was done with an anonymous Academy Member. Voting seems to come down to if they didn't mind the movie, heard someone was nice, or was annoyed with some political thing an actor/director did. - https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/brutally-honest-oscar-ballot-2015-773902/

For the most part it doesn't even seem the people doing the voting actually watch all of the nominated movies.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Skeleton Ape posted:

Good sound. IRL gunshots are really loving loud and almost no action movies effectively convey this. I know it's usually impractical to record it live like in Heat, but come on other movies, get some better stock sounds :mad:

Way of the Gun is a super mediocre indie movie from like 2001 but has realistic gun sounds, gun handling and stuff. It's a fun watch. The plot is super thin.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Roumba posted:

Any part or scene from the police's perspective has really lovely exposition and generally just sucks. Maybe it's just because I hate Mark Ruffalo? Idk, but if so, I've long forgotten why, exactly. Also, the ending/climax is a little too 'movie' for my taste and doesn't quite match the feel of the best parts of the film.

Still, a solid flick with great lead performances, making it an easy recommend.

I think you hate Mark Ruffalo because when he's speaking Spanish in the beginning sounding a bit like a cholo and then switching to nerd rear end cop English is Good poo poo

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Ichabod Tane posted:

Way of the Gun is a super mediocre indie movie from like 2001 but has realistic gun sounds, gun handling and stuff. It's a fun watch. The plot is super thin.

That was made by Christopher McQuarrie, who would go on to write Edge of Tomorrow, as well as write/direct the recent Mission Impossible movies.

Edit: I love the climax of that movie if only because it maintains a coherent "shootout geography". Too many action movies just have shots of people shooting at each other without giving any sense of where they are in relation to each other or what the sight lines are like.

Nicodemus Dumps fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 12, 2022

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

MrQwerty posted:

That's because Michael Mann made it.
Speaking of, anyone read Heat 2?

Yes, it owns

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Cacator posted:

Yes, it owns

Hell yeah I'm gonna order it, story sounds awesome

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Ichabod Tane posted:

Way of the gun has the best first scene.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

Hell yeah I'm gonna order it, story sounds awesome

If you like Michael Mann's dialogue, characters, exacting attention to detail and meticulous descriptions of heists, you will like it. It draws heavily from the Miami Vice movie too.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

michael mann movies are pretty good. manhunter is awesome, thief is great, last of the mohicans is a classic. ferrari will probably be really good

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Biohazard posted:

honestly, and not just to be a contrarian, but who really cares about the Oscars at this point? I'll generally look at a list of what was nominated for best picture and check a few of those out, but the most part I just find some reviewers online that I like and check out movies the recommend.

It's getting harder to find a reviewer online who isn't just making GBS threads themselves in rage because the media features women and minorities.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Yaldabaoth posted:

It's getting harder to find a reviewer online who isn't just making GBS threads themselves in rage because the media features women and minorities.

i don't think this is true

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Cacator posted:

If you like Michael Mann's dialogue, characters, exacting attention to detail and meticulous descriptions of heists, you will like it. It draws heavily from the Miami Vice movie too.

I liked Miami Vice a lot, totally gonna buy that

edit: speaking of Miami Vice, let's go OG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdbMJc26fbQ

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 12, 2022

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

kntfkr posted:

i don't think this is true

Well youtube is full of that kind of "reviewer".

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

This movie convinced me to go get a gray suit.

I do not look as good in it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hard counter posted:

tropic thunder was the film that saved his career, op since after that movie he made knight & day, valkyrie, ghost protocol, oblivion and jack reacher and they all made between 200-700mill individually

playing that insane producer made america love him again

I didn't even recognize that it was Tom Cruise in tropic thunder

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

collateral is great, thanks for the reminder to watch it again

also very different kind of movie but a more recent tom cruise thing i enjoyed was edge of tomorrow. sort of trippy scifi with comedic elements i guess i'd call it

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
collateral driver sucked me off?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

this is one of the best michael mann scenes imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ed7QbHqbXA

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Yaldabaoth posted:

And even then they still tried to sabotage it by marketing the movie as "LIVE DIE REPEAT" to confuse people looking for it at the theater.

Live Die Repeat is a much better name than "Edge of Tomorrow"

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

TK8325 posted:

michael mann movies are pretty good. manhunter is awesome, thief is great, last of the mohicans is a classic. ferrari will probably be really good

I watched Manhunter on acid and it loving ruled.

ZeusCannon posted:

They use both on the home video release to confuse you more. I think they should've included the name of the manga too. Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow (All You Need is Kill)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ZeusCannon posted:

That movie was so good, wish I had gone in knowing nothing as that would have been an incredible whoa moment. Bill Paxton is perfect.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
Is fuckin Bill Simmons posting in GBS now what a future to live in

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Yaldabaoth posted:

I think red letter media is pretty good. I know there are people who accuse them of conservative views, but I personally think they are wrong. They just have strong views on whether or not a movie was garbage or not, and sometime people read into that with their own biases.

Your Movie Sucks is decent if you can stand his voice.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Bula Vinaka posted:

because he is a scientologist

Yeah gently caress him, how many lives has he ruined by making some people think his cult is not really a cult and must be good because a big name actor swears by it. His name on any film's credits is usually enough to make me not see it. There's thousands of good films without him in them.

Edit: Edge Of Tomorrow had no new ideas, just ones already used in hundreds of science fiction stories for decades beforehand. But Cruise is hardly your "arthouse film" type now is he, most or all of his film vehicles are populist pap.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 13, 2022

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

oculus was rigged af

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

BigBadSteve posted:

Yeah gently caress him, how many lives has he ruined by making some people think his cult is not really a cult and must be good because a big name actor swears by it. His name on any film's credits is usually enough to make me not see it. There's thousands of good films without him in them.

Edit: Edge Of Tomorrow had no new ideas, just ones already used in hundreds of science fiction stories for decades beforehand. But Cruise is hardly your "arthouse film" type now is he, most or all of his film vehicles are populist pap.

Tom Cruise owns hth

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
He's The Last Samurai I should probably watch that

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX2UCtvHXHQ

CruisePhonk

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

apparently jason statham was briefly in collateral, which i did not know

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Nuts and Gum posted:

Tom Cruise owns hth

Yeah promoting cults is actually cool and good. Apparently??

Re: the op, he didn't win an Oscar because he's an alright actor (even if he is a garbage human) but he was up against Sean Penn in Mystic River. Do you honestly think his performance in this really genuinely good action film was more nuanced, complex, interesting and challenging than that role? I really like Collateral and wanna rewatch it now, but c'mon.

I do agree the role isn't recognised enough though. He did do an excellent job. Not trying to contradict that.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BigBadSteve posted:

Edit: Edge Of Tomorrow had no new ideas, just ones already used in hundreds of science fiction stories for decades beforehand.

i dont think anyone who enjoys the movie likes it because they think it has "new ideas". its the same plot as groundhog day and yes many other stories. its just a fun movie.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

putin is a oval office posted:

Re: the op, he didn't win an Oscar because he's an alright actor (even if he is a garbage human) but he was up against Sean Penn in Mystic River. Do you honestly think his performance in this really genuinely good action film was more nuanced, complex, interesting and challenging than that role? I really like Collateral and wanna rewatch it now, but c'mon.

I do agree the role isn't recognised enough though. He did do an excellent job. Not trying to contradict that.

is that my daughta in there

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

putin is a oval office posted:

if you’re dumb enough to fall for Scientology you were gonna be Mormon or something dumber anyway. The man has brainworms that makes him believe he’s immortal. Which is good cause he’ll keep doing stupidly dangerous poo poo for our entertainment.

lol at Penn getting the nod for his over the top crying in mystic River.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

apparently jason statham was briefly in collateral, which i did not know

He's also seemingly in it as The Transporter character, though not sure why.

Collateral is such a great film, all the best scenes are just Tom and Jamie talking. And when Jaime Foxx goes, "Music school!"

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Jada Pinkett Smith too, why not

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Sorbus posted:

The Killer has better gunfights than Hard Boiled

Finally someone spoke the truth

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Biohazard posted:

I think red letter media is pretty good. I know there are people who accuse them of conservative views

I've never seen this accusation and never picked up these vibes from RLM

Is this coming from the sort of people that convinced themselves that because The Last Jedi and Ghostbusters 2016 made chuds mad they must have been good movies or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Borrowed Ladder posted:

He's also seemingly in it as The Transporter character, though not sure why.

Basically because it amused the writer to have him as the same character, even if there's no evidence for it in the film.

quote:

Beattie confirms that he's spoken to Statham about the connection and says definitively, "Yes, it's canon." The writer also jokes, however, that this isn't something that the studio would ever admit to.