Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Okay then. Here's hoping it works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
So the good news I was able to make it through the Curator's Cut after all.

Bad news is I still ended up not liking this game. But hopefully I'll have gone through this and shown off a different enough playthrough to be worthwhile to you all to check out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
So you mentioned that Megan/Mary's character model looks a little... off, I think is what I got from that. The character model isn't based on a real person, as far as I know so don't feel bad about saying something unkind about an actual child, but it is one of the more interesting reuses of character models. Megan/Mary is actually the same character model as Joe's son from the prologue of Man of Medan.

And because it just had to happen this way since you've finished the Curator's Cut, of course the next patch for the game dropped yesterday and seems to have fixed the issues that cropped up.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

And because it just had to happen this way since you've finished the Curator's Cut, of course the next patch for the game dropped yesterday and seems to have fixed the issues that cropped up.

I hate this game. :(

At least we're done with it for now, and I can go back to focusing on some more enjoyable games like Outer Wilds and We Were Here Forever.

And hopefully House of Ashes, when we get to that, will be a much better experience for me. But seeing as that will be the 4th narrative-driven horror game from Supermassive that I would cover, I'm wondering if there's something different you'd like to see from me in how I approach it. For Until Dawn and Man of Medan, I tried to be thorough and catch up on everything I might have missed as I was playing through the game. For this, I decided to play through the game normally first (as best I could), and then get the things I missed after completing the story. Is there one method over the other that you prefer? Is there something different you'd like to see me try?

Shared Story may be an option, but I can't promise anything there and I'm not sure how I would want to present that. I was thinking if it would be worthwhile/interesting to run through one of these games without collecting any secrets along the way, to see how that impacts my ability to clue in on the story and make choices, but so far, the secrets in these games appear to be pretty superficial and don't directly relate to the events unfolding during the game.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
I'd suggest, if you do decide to play House of Ashes, that you keep what you did for Little Hope and play through once before going back and getting everything. Now, like Little Hope, you can find everything (but that doesn't mean you will) in one go of the Theatrical Cut so the Curator's Cut will be up to you if you feel like seeing it again. The only thing I would say to change is the "rewind when someone dies" that you did here. It works for Little Hope because of how the story plays out but here I think it would be better to just let whatever happens happen and if anyone dies, so be it. Maybe try playing it in the hardest difficulty as well just to up the chances of something going wrong and not because of bugs or glitches.

I really do hope you play House of Ashes as it's generally regarded as the best of this first set of 4 games and I appreciate listening to you work out the information the game gives you and the conclusions you draw.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

The only thing I would say to change is the "rewind when someone dies" that you did here. It works for Little Hope because of how the story plays out but here I think it would be better to just let whatever happens happen and if anyone dies, so be it.

I mentioned this in the Curator's Cut videos, but I'll also point it out again here. Nobody died in my first playthrough of Little Hope.

Those deaths were edited in after the fact, so I wasn't going back and "undoing" any deaths in my main playthrough. It was intended to be a fake-out, where you weren't sure if the character actually died in the playthrough or not, until you then saw it rewind and show what actually happened. Might have ended up being a little more clear if I had actually gotten some characters killed, or if I hadn't gone with the rewind effect, but I figured that getting characters killed off is a spectacle that people enjoy seeing, and me managing to avoid that would be a bit disappointing, so I was attempting to have a "best of both worlds" type of thing happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
So a bit of housekeeping here to wrap some stuff up. In the finale, if you choose to burn the poppet, the priest will throw it into the brazier which then gets knocked over and burns down the building in a mirror of the house fire from the beginning. Abraham and Mary end up escaping from the fire so it's considered a Mary lives scenario.

Regarding locked traits, yes the punishment for failing to break them is a bit harsh but I feel like the game is very clearly pushing the player in a specific direction that you'd almost have to try and get the result seen in the Curator's Cut. And for keeping track of what triggers them, that's mainly what the bearings in this game keep track of. Each character has their own bearing, plus one each that tracks the group's interactions with Vince, one that tracks the girl (both Mary and the unnamed Melissa) and one tracks the uses of the gun. Speaking of the gun, despite it clearly only having 4 bullets, it can actually be fired 5 times over the course of the game. Not sure if that was meant as another clue about the true nature of what's happening or a genuine mistake by the developers.

I wouldn't say you're being overly harsh on the game as your feelings track with the general reception the game has among fans of the series. It's an interesting premise that failed to stick the landing.

Finally, whenever you do get to House of Ashes, let's see how many character models are recognizable between games. Most are pretty easy as they're fairly distinctive but some may surprise you. Most of the character models from this one reappear in House of Ashes.